Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Waffleon wrote: »
    Just a rant lads.... Did you honestly expect better from imagine....jeezzzz...just google their wimax sh@t. I'm not on their side but really....getting on to cs about a contention issue....what do you expect them to tell you besides lies and marketing sh@t. I had an idea this might happen when I signed up, took a chance, a little disappointed but not that surprised... The only reason I was disappointed is because it COULD have been the answer for thousands of us...so promising...but after being rejected by the NBP could you blame them for over subscribing before the spectrum goes for auction next year...?? Enjoy the high speeds off peak....get used to the sh@t speeds at peak...simples....

and this is why many of us were hoping that the powers that be would see sense and not award Imagine or any other wireless provider an NBP contract. Wireless has always been limited, often suffered from issues and is really only meant for light usage and cannot sustain a suitable service over decades. If Imagine had won an NBP contract I reckon things would be even worse after a while with a much larger number of people subscribing.

Seems now they only have another 12-18 months left to milk this service for all they can, speeds will probably continue to suffer as more and more customers are crammed onto the service. Hopefully many of the customers can move onto other services will they become available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Did anyone, who's experiencing a drop in speeds, tackle Imagine about it on their Facebook page?

I've posted a couple of times warning potential customers of the contention issues. Nice girl posted in response she could refer me to their Tech support who I have contacted a few times with no solution.....

The way I see it, the more people I can persuade not to sign up, especially on the mast I am on, means I get proportionally higher peak speeds!! ;)

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭vidapura

TopTec wrote: »
    The way I see it, the more people I can persuade not to sign up, especially on the mast I am on, means I get proportionally higher peak speeds!! ;)

TT

Well.. its workin.... I'm persuaded...

I rang Imagine a coupla weeks ago to see what the availability was in the area where our new house is.
    The closing has since been delayed for one reason or another ... and since then Imagine have me damned.. I've had to red-button one call a day from them.

Yesterday they sent me a text telling me there are limited spaces on my local LTE network and urging me to call now to secure one of the last few places.

Woo...so the mast is going to be brimming is it??

Yah.. having read this thread I'm not viewing THAT as such a compelling thing at all.

Plenty of the guys here in work are talkin about this subject too.. one of them has Imagine and has seen his speed drop considerably.
    Another, who was seriously lookin at Imagine ( now that he can get out of the vodafone contract cos they upped the price) is thinking twice about it... and twas he who pointed me at this thread...

Hummm.. not sure what I'll do now.. might have to research meteor (got 16Mb on me phone at the house).. don't think landline works there...

Anyway.. thanks to all who've alerted us to the reality behind the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Just got Imagine broadband despite all the negative sentiment on this thread. I reckoned it could not get any worse than 2 MB from Eir, time will tell.
    Anyway, anyone know what the router userid and password should be?
    Anyone know how to switch a vortexbox media player over to the new network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

Advbrd wrote: »
    Just got Imagine broadband despite all the negative sentiment on this thread. I reckoned it could not get any worse than 2 MB from Eir, time will tell.
    Anyway, anyone know what the router userid and password should be?
    Anyone know how to switch a vortexbox media player over to the new network?

I don't think you can log into the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

So how do I know what IP address different devices are using. I know it does not matter for most devices but for something like a Vortexbox media player I need to be able to login via the IP address for maintenance/updates etc. I need to access the router to ascertain the IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Has anybody heard anything since the mast in Athlone went live last Monday?

I'm an existing customer of their wimax service (which was switched off on us nearly 6 weeks ago now).

We signed up back in July to the "new and improved LTE" service. We have has countless calls back and forth with them in last 6 weeks, we are still being charged 40euro per month for wimax service despite it being switched off.

We finally got confirmation that we had been switched off without notification in first week.of September but we are still being charged.

They assured us we would be on priority list for the athlone list and we'd be refunded the last couple of bills but we have heard nothing and the service is supposedly up and running the last week.

Has anyone heard anything in this area? Nobody seems to be able to tell us anything. If we are waiting 10 days or more clearly we are not a priority despite the fact they are quick enough to charge us for a service they have switched off.

Spent a small fortune being passed from sales to accounts to tech support (who were most helpful and actually confirmed we were switched off the wimax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

price690 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard anything since the mast in Athlone went live last Monday?

I'm an existing customer of their wimax service (which was switched off on us nearly 6 weeks ago now).

We signed up back in July to the "new and improved LTE" service. We have has countless calls back and forth with them in last 6 weeks, we are still being charged 40euro per month for wimax service despite it being switched off.

We finally got confirmation that we had been switched off without notification in first week.of September but we are still being charged.

They assured us we would be on priority list for the athlone list and we'd be refunded the last couple of bills but we have heard nothing and the service is supposedly up and running the last week.

Has anyone heard anything in this area? Nobody seems to be able to tell us anything. If we are waiting 10 days or more clearly we are not a priority despite the fact they are quick enough to charge us for a service they have switched off.

Spent a small fortune being passed from sales to accounts to tech support (who were most helpful and actually confirmed we were switched off the wimax)

If you've ignored all the advice we've given you about cancelling the direct debit and charging back the debits to when you had a service, then they are going to continue to ignore you.

Hit them in the pocket and then they will start to give you attention (and if they try to say your credit history will be ruined, ignore them, as they can't do that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

If you've ignored all the advice we've given you about cancelling the direct debit and charging back the debits to when you had a service, then they are going to continue to ignore you.

Hit them in the pocket and then they will start to give you attention (and if they try to say your credit history will be ruined, ignore them, as they can't do that).

I'm very thankful for the advice I've cancelled the DD but still nothing. I cancelled last week. I'm just looking for the LTE service. The old wimax would even do at this stage it did the job for us.

Is it up and running in athlone at all ? They are useless for providing information

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Jesus after reading the horror in the latter pages of this thread I'm very tempted to cancel my order for LTE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

RE: Athlone site:

Got this txt on friday evening:

Hi, Great News - We are connecting homes in your area to LTE Fibre Speed Broadband all of next week. BOOK YOUR INSTALL NOW by choosing a time slot and day that suits you best and we'll give you a call to confirm. PLEASE NOTE your appointment will not be booked in until we call to confirm. BOOK YOUR SLOT NOW - FREE TEXT "IMAGINE - followed by AM or PM and your choice of day" to 50015 (example - IMAGINE PM THURSDAY)

Sent back a txt IMAGINE AM Monday...... have heard nothing yet today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Just got an install of Cappard on Loais
    50 down and 3 up,

Will be good for a few weeks before everyone else gets connected :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Just got an install of Cappard on Loais
    50 down and 3 up,

Will be good for a few weeks before everyone else gets connected :o

I wouldn't worry about it
    This is the ridiculous crappy speed I'm getting on my pc at the moment from Vodafone over the copper wires,I'm sure your worst connection will be close to 20 times faster

I think people complaining of speeds dropping to 10 or 20 times what mainstream companies think is acceptable to charge for,have nothing to complain about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

ArKl0w wrote: »
    This is the ridiculous crappy speed I'm getting on my plc at the moment from Vodafone over the copper wires,I'm sure your worst connection will be close to 20 times faster

I think people complaining of speeds dropping to 10 or 20 times what mainstream companies think is acceptable to charge for,have nothing to complain about

Yep I agree, I've been running of a intermittent 4meg line from Eircom for the last couple of years. Somedays I'd have to reboot the router 10 times.

If I can get a solid 10 at peak I'll be more than happy

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

NakQuada wrote: »
    Jesus after reading the horror in the latter pages of this thread I'm very tempted to cancel my order for LTE...
    Feel the same. Hard to know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

This is the ridiculous crappy speed I'm getting on my pc at the moment from Vodafone over the copper wires,I'm sure your worst connection will be close to 20 times faster

That's all well and good, but consistency is key. I am currently on a different provider with a '10mb' package that usual sits around 4.5mb and then drops to 2mb or lower at peak times.

Imagine advertising their LTE service as 'fibre experience' is total bull**** and that's the main problem. Yeah it might be 50+mb during non-peak times, but what good is it if it drops down to 5mb or lower in the evening when I ACTUALLY NEED TO USE IT?

The whole thing is a scam from what I can see and there's no denying it.
    Even the whole 400 customers per mast and taking €100 bookings to 'secure' your place is a load of **** and seems to be a bit dodgey.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but boy am I super vexed about the whole thing.

NakQuada wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but consistency is key. I am currently on a different provider with a '10mb' package that usual sits around 4.5mb and then drops to 2mb or lower at peak times.

Imagine advertising their LTE service as 'fibre experience' is total bull**** and that's the main problem. Yeah it might be 50+mb during non-peak times, but what good is it if it drops down to 5mb or lower in the evening when I ACTUALLY NEED TO USE IT?

The whole thing is a scam from what I can see and there's no denying it.
    Even the whole 400 customers per mast and taking €100 bookings to 'secure' your place is a load of **** and seems to be a bit dodgey.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but boy am I super vexed about the whole thing.
    I have not seen a 5mb d/l reported here
    Well tbh,Forgive me if I don't share your position on that,given the lowest speed reported here is about 8mb and most of the complaints are about speeds in the mid teens
    There is a €150 installation fee,it's no secret
    unlike Eir and mobile co's they don't do credit checks for this bill pay service and they are spending a few hours trying to get a signal so that and the infrastructure needs paying for

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have to agree, Imagines website reads like it is offering a service quality similar to Eir FTTC fiber broadband.

They have even updated their website by asking their customers to either write a report or make a video sharing their story about how great the Imagine LTE service is and offering cash for stories/videos that get published on their website.

Most people who take up Imagine's service are customers who have no other option or who have very low ADSL speeds. Even with the congestion problems they are still getting a better connection than what they had prior to signing up with Imagine.

However, that doesn't make it right considering the content message of the website claiming a 'true fiber experience'. 60 Euros per month is alot of cash per month for a service that only works the way it should during the small hours of night, early morning and very late in the evening. With their service already buckling under strain, I don't think there is a fix for this unless they enforce a new lower cap. There is a limit to how many masts they can have and how many customers they can cram into it.

Aye Gonzo but you'd pay the same for a Shiite non fibre Eir connection which is like mine
    Most of Eirs fibre customers are probably on 40'sh (some an awful lot less!)not 80

It's all relative really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Spent a small fortune being passed from sales to accounts to tech support
    If you're using the 1890 number then here's their landline if you have landline minutes included in a mobile deal
    01 437 5000
    I've cancelled the DD but still nothing. I cancelled last week.
    Have you tried getting refund on previous bills via your own bank? Even if they do connect you to LTE, it may deteriorate quick smart anyways (given the reports from others here) so you might as well get your money back.

• Advertisement

Aye Gonzo but you'd pay the same for a Shiite non fibre Eir connection which is like mine
    Most of Eirs fibre customers are probably on 40'sh (some an awful lot less!)not 80

It's all relative really

the big difference tho is those on Eir fibre generally get the same speed test results all day and night, and those on ADSL get the same speed tests most of the time too even if it is a crap speed, its generally even. Most graphs posted here by Imagine customers have been shown zig-zag patterns with huge loses of speed at various points throughout the day and it's really taking away from what should be a great experience.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the big difference tho is those on Eir fibre generally get the same speed test results all day and night, and those on ADSL get the same speed tests most of the time too even if it is a crap speed, its generally even. Most graphs posted here by Imagine customers have been shown zig-zag patterns with huge loses of speed at various points throughout the day and it's really taking away from what should be a great experience.
    Most losses are in the evening are they not?
    Not 'throughout the day'

I dunno,people disappointed that sometimes their speed drops to the mid teens (8 seems rare) should manage expectations better

My view is if I get it,it's another improvement on what I have (a very big improvement) and another stop gap stepping stone to proper fibre when it eventually comes to rural areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Not 'throughout the day'

I dunno,people disappointed that sometimes their speed drops to the mid teens (8 seems rare) should manage expectations better

My view is if I get it,it's another improvement on what I have (a very big improvement) and another stop gap stepping stone to proper fibre when it eventually comes to rural areas

The losses are when people actually use the net. 60 euro on an 18 month contract for 8 meg and dropping isn't good value and it is miles away from what is being advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Not 'throughout the day'

well it not a bad stop gap until the NBP rollout but people are mad because there paying €60 a month.They expected fibre like speeds and with speed drops to 8mb you can't blame them for being annoyed.

rob808 wrote: »
    well it not a bad stop gap until the NBP rollout but people are mad because there paying €60 a month.They expected fibre like speeds and with speed drops to 8mb you can't blame them for being annoyed.
    I appreciate that,but I'm paying,like a lot of rural dwellers €60 for a service that barely gets 2mb
    Uploads are Isdn speed
    8mb seems rare as a slowest in the evening for imagine
    It's not fair comment ,I think to use it as being the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

I appreciate that,but I'm paying,like a lot of rural dwellers €60 for a service that barely gets 2mb
    Uploads are Isdn speed
    well that true the sooner the better NBP rollout the more choices will have of ISP.while imagine are cashing in on the poor broadband it seem one best option around for rural areas for time being.

Uploads are Isdn speed

8 mb at peak on a mast that isn't even fully subscribed. Safe to say that will continue to drop.

Imagine are not advertising their service as 5 mb. They are advertising fibre like speeds. This is disingenuous at best. I am also rural and would be happy to pay 60 for even a consistent 10mb. I would be very pissed off if I were tied into a contract for a service that has decreased so rapidly.

But (1) you aren't and
    (2) The sample size here is too small to say 8mb slow downs are common
    There's even people posting here on the same mast with different experiences

But (1) you aren't and
    (2) The sample size here is too small to say 8mb slow downs are common
    There's even people posting here on the same mast with different experiences

So what if I am not? Can I not have an opinion. I don't see how 1 is even slightly relevant.

The sample size here is pointing quite clearly to a drastic slowdown of the service at peak times. I am not sure why you are defending this. It's extremely obvious what is happening. Imagine have prior in this also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Hi, just ordered from Imagine in East Cork (Knockraha mast). Does anyone know if I can use my own router (Apple time capsule) instead of the supplied one?

Any advice would be great!

Advertisement