Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

littelady wrote: »
    Hi all, I am new to imagine and was wondering if there is a way to check my data balance. Thx in advance

No, there is no way to view your usage as of yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if that Whizzynet is similar speed all the time and nearly half the price of Imagine, it's certainly better. I would not recommend Imagine to anyone, there is no telling how much worse the service is going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ArKl0w wrote: »
    they are after all using the same frequencies as tv which suffers badly sometimes from high pressure (tropospheric ducting of signals)

That is a down fall of this method of broadband that usually doesn't need explaining to average users because they don't test several times day like you and I would

Sorry, I've got to pull you up on this. Imagine are using 3.4-3.8GHz, that's microwave.

Not TV frequencies at all, which are UHF and behave completely differently.

Gonzo wrote: »
    if that is contention wouldn't ping also be badly effected?

This seems to be getting worse by the day, when speeds started dropping after the loss of the NBP, speeds started dipping, then past few weeks they dipped into the 20's and last week around 10's and now low single digit figures down as low as 2 meg has been reported over past 24 hours, hardly the 'full fiber experience'. Anyone who has ADSL over 6meg and thinking of changing would be better off just staying with ADSL the way things are looking.

It's really easy to QOS ICMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Connected last Friday.
    Obs so far. Had to reboot router a couple of times on day one. Not sure whether this was due to the imagine guys configuring things remotely or me adding 20 plus items (wired and wireless). No hassle since. Speeds are variable. Beside router I have gotten just over 70 Mbps. At the moment I am getting 35 Mbps but I am quite a distance from the router. Last night, I was down to 8.5 Mbps which was fine for what I was doing but I do suspect that this is down to contention. Overall this is a hell of an improvement on Eir's sh1t current service which fluctuated from 1 to 3 Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Sorry, I've got to pull you up on this. Imagine are using 3.4-3.8GHz, that's microwave.

Agreed,my bad,UHF frequencies are being released for these services though

Microwave though like all radio waves is affected by weather including tropospheric ducting,common in high pressure weather,of which we have had some this month
    To confuse things further,tropo mainly happens at night
    That said obviously rushed planning/contention/lack of initial attention to the detail of customer satisfaction in the rush to build are all certainly also affecting some people as evidenced here

Regardless,a bit of a decision to make by me on which service to go with
    Distance selling regulations are still in play as I am not installed
    Versus do I try it as it's only €100 to get out and move to Whizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Agreed,my bad,UHF frequencies are being released for these services though

Microwave though like all radio waves is affected by weather including tropospheric ducting,common in high pressure weather,of which we have had some this month
    To confuse things further,tropo mainly happens at night
    That said obviously rushed planning/contention/lack of initial attention to the detail of customer satisfaction in the rush to build are all certainly also affecting some people as evidenced here

Regardless,a bit of a decision to make by me on which service to go with
    Distance selling regulations are still in play as I am not installed
    Versus do I try it as it's only €100 to get out and move to Whizzy

You're preaching to the choir there, 9726 would be one of the most industry involved posters on here.

We've a few bands in the TDD space that can be used but going any higher would be, I suspect, problematic as would require even more high sites. Really what we need is some 400Mhz spectrum for ultra long range LTE like Finland and Canada have been doing.

Ed,as per my pm to you just now,here's what I'm looking at now where Imagine would do the install in a shed with power

In the picture:
    Their mast is in the collection of mast's on that hill that you can see,behind and above that house looking at the left hand side of its roof a full clean view line of sight and about 6.6kms
    Workable I presume?
    I will be sending a cat 6 cable via an existing ducting to the dwelling house
    I'll be using a heavy duty cable,it's the only extra expense if I do this

Ed,as per my pm to you just now,here's what I'm looking at now where Imagine would do the install in a shed with power

In the picture:
    Their mast is in the collection of mast's on that hill that you can see,behind and above that house looking at the left hand side of its roof a full clean view line of sight and about 6.6kms
    Workable I presume?
    I will be sending a cat 6 cable via an existing ducting to the dwelling house
    I'll be using a heavy duty cable,it's the only extra expense if I do this

That's good LOS. They might crib about not using their own cable. See how you get on. Worst case, the POE/router could stay in the garage and you could use your long line to link LAN-side to the house.

That's good LOS. They might crib about not using their own cable. See how you get on. Worst case, the POE/router could stay in the garage and you could use your long line to link LAN-side to the house.

Yeah that's what I want to do,i.e. Let them do their full install at that shed and my lan cable then takes it from their router via the ducting to my own router in the house
    It's about 90mtrs of cat 6 though,just about inside the limits of that cable

Are you saying that they might be able/willing to cable from that shed to their own receiver/router 90mtrs away through my ducting instead?
    Is that possible even? (I know nothing about installing the stuff they're installing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Weses

They're contacting me and I'm considering paying for it. I've been stuck on 2mbps for years and will take anything better. Even 5mbps would be a huge improvement. I'd just like to know if I'm making a good decision at this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Here is my data after nine days. There does seem to be a slowdown around peak times but it is still far better than my previous connection. For €5 extra a month it was a no brainer decision really. Each person considering signing up will have to make that decision for themselves.

399598.PNG

399599.PNG

For reference this was the data for my previous Breeze 3Mb connection:

399600.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Weses

That is MILES better than what I'm getting right now, at all times. Can anyone tell me what the daily gig usage the average YT video or Netflix show uses in 1080p?

90mins of sky hd movies are north of 2gigs
    So you'd want to be on 6 or 7 full movies a day
    But even if you pass the 20 gig limit,1.5 mb download's will still run them and Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Yeah that's what I want to do,i.e. Let them do their full install at that shed and my lan cable then takes it from their router via the ducting to my own router in the house
    It's about 90mtrs of cat 6 though,just about inside the limits of that cable

Are you saying that they might be able/willing to cable from that shed to their own receiver/router 90mtrs away through my ducting instead?
    Is that possible even? (I know nothing about installing the stuff they're installing)

I got them to install in my garage as it was the only place they could get direct LOS. Initially I wanted the router to stay in garage and send network through powerline extender, but this didn't really work due to complex wiring I guess.

I then prepared a duct with cat5e from garage to a place in the middle of my house. I now have router in the house with an ethernet socket in the wall connected to an ethernet socket in the garage, where I plugged in the end of the cable that comes from the modem/router.
    No significant drop in speeds or pings- length of cable is around 50 m.

So yes, it can be done. I would just let them connect their router in your shed, get the best possible signal , tell them you will connect the router to your cable. When they are gone, you just test the direct connection. They don't like custom set ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What kind of bandwidth spectrum-wise are they using per sector? Assuming they even have sectors...

What kind of bandwidth spectrum-wise are they using per sector? Assuming they even have sectors...

He's posted the spec way back in the thread, its Huawei kit rated at 100Mbps. IIRC we're assuming 3 sectors per site but I dont think that was confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,731 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lads a re supposed to be here at 9 for installation today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

^^ Here is where? ^^

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    ^^ Here is where? ^^

TT
    Dunleer ,county Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

got installed yesterday..... very nice lads... most helpful let me install just how i wanted even tho it was more difficult for them....

im 17km from the mast and have been getting speeds up to 55mbps ..... took pleasure in ringing 3 ireland to cancel my account..... they offered me two months free for a crap service... i told them to keep the money and reinvest it in their network

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lads a re supposed to be here at 9 for installation today :rolleyes:

I haven't heard a word from them bar a text 2 weeks ago saying their high site would be ready this week

I haven't heard a word from them bar a text 2 weeks ago saying their high site would be ready this week
    Have heard nothing from them today yet, got a text last week asking what day and am or pm slot would suit. Then got a call on Wednesday evening

ED E wrote: »
    He's posted the spec way back in the thread, its Huawei kit rated at 100Mbps. IIRC we're assuming 3 sectors per site but I dont think that was confirmed.

Is that 400 max on 3 sectors in total or 400 per sector :eek:

Is that 400 max on 3 sectors in total or 400 per sector :eek:

They are using 20MHz channels, according to their Comreg submissions re 3.6GHz auction.

I have seen cabs at multiple mast sites with 3 sectors connected to line cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Haldane

Guys,
    Anyone know the admin password for the GemTek router wvrtm-127ACN. I rang imagine and they told me that thay are currently not allowing customers to access the router because of security. My problem is that I need to add my dyndns account to the router but I'm not going to give them my password for the obvious security concerns.

Haldane wrote: »
    Guys,
    Anyone know the admin password for the GemTek router wvrtm-127ACN. I rang imagine and they told me that thay are currently not allowing customers to access the router because of security. My problem is that I need to add my dyndns account to the router but I'm not going to give them my password for the obvious security concerns.

Is it possible that they don't want any customers accessing that as they might discover that the modem synchs at a much slower speed in the evenings,i.e. A managed throttling of everybody regardless of usage, which they are controlling ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Something i've heard is that by default they leave the modem setting at internal antenna - even though they've mounted an external antenna. Changing this has (for someone i know) increased his speeds.
    I'd be very interested to check my Huawei modem as well but don't have the login details.

Is it possible that they don't want any customers accessing that as they might discover that the modem synchs at a much slower speed in the evenings,i.e. A managed throttling of everybody regardless of usage, which they are controlling ?

The contention is managed by timeslots, not the CPE. The equipment on the high site will "share" these slots evenly assuming flat QoS across all users.

• Advertisement

No go here, cant get a strong enough signal, trees etc blocking the line of sight. Imagine wi max apparently works off a weaker signal .Prefer that they were honest with me rather than installing it and it being crap. They had a 20ft pole up over the end of the house and still not good enough

Advertisement