Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Up and running

22DB (Max Signal Apparently)

50 - 60 Down

Will be recording speeds for a solid month and will post up reports when I'm done.

To note: This is the Midlands base-station that went live last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

whelan2 wrote: »
    No go here, cant get a strong enough signal, trees etc blocking the line of sight. Imagine wi max apparently works off a weaker signal .Prefer that they were honest with me rather than installing it and it being crap. They had a 20ft pole up over the end of the house and still not good enough

Watch out about wimax. There's reports (earlier in this thread) about them cancelling the service without notice, yet continuing to extract money from people's accounts months later. :eek: It might be worthwhile investigating a backup plan, just in case it does die. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Well that didnt last for long..... after one day im back below speeds of three ireland:

Was getting 55mbps during the install.... this certainly isnt worth 60 euro a month

5734798693.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Well that didnt last for long..... after one day im back below speeds of three ireland:

Was getting 55mbps during the install.... this certainly isnt worth 60 euro a month

5734798693.png

Give it a day or two. The day after install, I was getting crap service. I don't know whether this was due to me adding a large number of devices to the network or the Imagine dudes configuring something in the background. After the first couple of days and a few reboots it has not dipped below 10 and is normally 30+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

You should post that on Imagines facebook page so people know what they are likely to get.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TimHorton

TopTec wrote: »
    You should post that on Imagines facebook page so people know what they are likely to get.

TT

Don't bother posting on Facebook as they delete negative posts , I posted a speed test from here and a link to the Forum and the post was deleted soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

TimHorton wrote: »
    Don't bother posting on Facebook as they delete negative posts , I posted a speed test from here and a link to the Forum and the post was deleted soon after.
    I suppose the thing to do is to post in a positive way. Describe it as brilliant, awesome etc. While also saying what the speed is and how awesome it is!
    Might last longer before beig deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

Do you guys find Imagine's results on speedtest.net to be in any way indicative of speeds elsewhere on the web?

Here's a test from speedtest.net just now:

pzTNbAc.png

...Not as great as it usually is, it's often around 80-90.

~35 mb/s equals ~4.4 mB/s.
    ~85 mb/s would be ~10.5mB/s.

Here's five minutes of torrent activity on Ubuntu's official torrent for 16.10 (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads):

zlU6gIO.png

81 seeds connected, lots of those on educational institutes' networks, definitely enough to max out whatever Imagine could provide, but it peaked at 1.2 mB/s for just a blip.

Are they giving speed testing websites network priority? It's not unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What does https://fast.com/ give you?

What does https://fast.com/ give you?

54 mb/s. Here's another 5 minutes of the Ubuntu torrent from just now:

WExquyu.png

All the way to 1.4mB/s that time!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The fact you've zero up traffic says you arent fully connectable for one. That'll hinder performance.

A torrent isnt a good way to test. Grab the same file over HTTP here with 10-40Gbps there to serve it to you:
    https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-releases/16.10/ubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

try speedof.me

ED E wrote: »
    The fact you've zero up traffic says you arent fully connectable for one. That'll hinder performance.

A torrent isnt a good way to test. Grab the same file over HTTP here with 10-40Gbps there to serve it to you:
    https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-releases/16.10/ubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso

...No, it just says that I'm a leech with upload capped at 2kB/s (the Imagine connection is fairly new - we were on NovaNetworks, the speeds of which were drek, which is my excuse)...

...And torrents can definitely saturate a connection such as this (particularly ones such as the one I'm using as a test, I'll show you evidence of this when I'm next on UCC's network.)

The worry is that Imagine are selectively limiting bittorrent connections or something - any sort of connection monitoring beyond throughput is too much.

Sure they can, but there are so many variables its a bad test method.

If you wanna test speed use a known good, such as HEANET.
    If you wanna test traffic shaping simply run GLASNOST etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

folks can you recomend a budget router to connect to my fone, i will need two connection off it, one for the pc the other for my sat reciever

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Timmy Dooley TD put a question to the Minister for Communications on Thursday about the proposed 3.6GHz auction:

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-10-20a.749

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

marno21 wrote: »
    Timmy Dooley TD put a question to the Minister for Communications on Thursday about the proposed 3.6GHz auction:

The auction regulations were signed off and published last week. The auction will take place early next year

S.I. No. 532/2016 - Wireless Telegraphy (3.6 GHZ Band Licences) Regulations 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The worry is that Imagine are selectively limiting bittorrent connections or something - any sort of connection monitoring beyond throughput is too much.

All wireless providers limit the number if TCP connections you can open. Test using a http download, it will open much less connections

marno21 wrote: »

The Cush wrote: »
    The auction regulations were signed off and published last week. The auction will take place early next year

S.I. No. 532/2016 - Wireless Telegraphy (3.6 GHZ Band Licences) Regulations 2016

I'm not really a fan of these auctions. Yes we don't want some yokel getting 20Mhz and sitting on it, if you pay for it you'll use it, but last time around it cost the telcos €450M. Three's turnover is ~650M pa so 450 between 3(4) is very much something. If we let them keep it but guarantee X new high sites per year then the end user could see real improvements rather than having it being squandered elsewhere by the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 YAMEN2866

this is coming to Portarlington next month was wondering how it is working out for you and what speeds you are getting anything would be better than 3 G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of these auctions. Yes we don't want some yokel getting 20Mhz and sitting on it, if you pay for it you'll use it, but last time around it cost the telcos €450M. Three's turnover is ~650M pa so 450 between 3(4) is very much something. If we let them keep it but guarantee X new high sites per year then the end user could see real improvements rather than having it being squandered elsewhere by the exchequer.

Comreg only care about making money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Here's five minutes of torrent activity on Ubuntu's official torrent for 16.10 (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads):
    [...]
    81 seeds connected, lots of those on educational institutes' networks, definitely enough to max out whatever Imagine could provide, but it peaked at 1.2 mB/s for just a blip.

Are they giving speed testing websites network priority? It's not unheard of.
    I would recommend testing against Heanet as ED E suggests (e.g. any ISO file from this page) as they should have no problem maxing out a connection. Indeed, I've seen this with several ISPs in the UK, although generally they throttle BitTorrent, Usenet, etc. but leave HTTP and HTTPS connections untouched.

Interestingly, upon trying BitTorrent on iD Mobile, BitTorrent actually seems to perform better than what any speed test I checked reports.

Speedtest and Fast.com:

5738939875.pngNh212IW.png

Test run of that Ubuntu 64-bit Torrent:

vxZY4Rb.png

The download completed in about 8 minutes (about 3MB or 24Mbps average). I tried BitTorrent before on the Three network, but it was heavily throttled, so was surprised to see iD Mobile not throttle it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

I signed up beginning of September (around 7th or 8th) and still have not been connected. I never hear anything from them - I never even got a receipt for the installation fee that I paid. I rang them the other day and expected installation date is early November at this stage. Despite signs up everywhere saying LTE is live in this area... it's not. It's not even close. They haven't even started an install on the high-site. To say I am raging is an understatement. But I have no choice to stick with them and see how I get on. Even though I live in a populated area, with an address along a national primary road, the max line speed I can get into my home is 2MB with realistic speeds of 1.4MB Down and .2MB up at the very very best. With 3 broadband I can get 8.5MB Down and 2MB up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Put a post on their Facebook page with the problem you have. They seem to respond quicker to that medium than any others as everyone can see it, I phoned, mailed and live chatted a request to them last Tuesday and still haven't had a response. So Facebook is my next move.

TT

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

All wireless providers limit the number if TCP connections you can open.

They do? :)

It's probably more accurate to say that the number of TCP connections that can be open is limited by the capabilities (most likely, the available memory) of the CPE. Any router that does NAT has to keep track of all open connections, and when the connection tracking table fills up, that's all she wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Just had an update from Imagine... after signing up on 8 September, I am now being told that the site will be commissioned around at the end of November and then they will start a roll-out in the area. This is despite signs up everywhere saying LTE broadband is live in this area. It feels like they need enough subscribers to pay the installation fee upfront for them to fund the build on the high-site. absolute amateur hour. Unfortunately the horror stories are proving to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

I'm beginning to think I'm in the same boat, signs were up all over, I signed up,heard nothing since, where do we stand on getting that €100 "deposit" back if needed?
    Not worried yet as imagine is the only show in town here over 2mb,so I'll wait a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

I know where u are coming from guys about the false advertising. .. I too was in a similar boat waiting two months for the site to go live. they arent great on that front. actually one point I thought it was a scam as they took my 100 euro without any communication afterwards. I got installed last week and apart from very poor speeds one night (see my previous post) ive been getting 25mps to 55mbps at peak times so im well happy with that. I know its early days but still beats the crap service I was getting with three Ireland. so hang in there guys it will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

I know where u are coming from guys about the false advertising. .. I too was in a similar boat waiting two months for the site to go live. they arent great on that front. actually one point I thought it was a scam as they took my 100 euro without any communication afterwards. I got installed last week and apart from very poor speeds one night (see my previous post) ive been getting 25mps to 55mbps at peak times so im well happy with that. I know its early days but still beats the crap service I was getting with three Ireland. so hang in there guys it will be worth it.
    What part of galway ? I'm in east Galway bear Loughrea
    Paid 100 euro at start of September
    Was told installation would be now !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

2 sites on the Wicklow Wexford border have gone live,I never Knew about the 2nd one until I saw it on their website today
    I've LoS to both but the 2nd one is twice the distance
    I rang them today and they said no installs yet
    They need to employ more people tbh

Oh and boy are they getting grief on their facebook page
    Delivering broadband is a thankless task
    There's bound to be people not getting what they want from this but probably like the talk to boards here on boards.ie,those pages are focal points for complaints
    Let's face it nobody goes on to those places to say they've a good service
    Those people stay quiet,they've no reason/need to shout
    Hopefully that's the majority,I guess I'll find out soon enough?

Advertisement