Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I find it ridiculous that even if you are not using the phone they will still charge the same price
    Too greedy to offer a seperate bundle

Why? The phone costs them nothing so dropping it saves you nothing. Its not a scam, its entirely fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I find it ridiculous that even if you are not using the phone they will still charge the same price
    Too greedy to offer a seperate bundle

Yeah if they charged €60 for the whole package with phone and €59.99 for just the broadband we would all be much happier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

pjq wrote: »
    Calls to 1890, Mobiles and International

Sorry if I missed this , but where can I find the tariff for 1890, Mobile and International calls, anybody know how these costs compare to other operators?
    pjq
    Give customer service a call, They'll give you a breakdown on it over the phone. Also apparently its somewhere on their website, but I called them and asked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mayola

Hi Johnboy1951,
    I am in contract with Vodafone until May 2017. However they have increased the package price by €5 a month. They have given me 30 days until November 4 to opt out of the deal. That's why I need to get transferred by then. Thanks m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

mayola wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy1951,
    I am in contract with Vodafone until May 2017. However they have increased the package price by €5 a month. They have given me 30 days until November 4 to opt out of the deal. That's why I need to get transferred by then. Thanks m
    No
    Have you called them to give them your notice?
    If you have not ported by then ie had your imagine install,you will fall into a 30 day contract and worst case scenario have to pay Vodafone another €45

You absolutely must ring Vodafone and tell them you are excercising your right to cancel the 18 month contract you are on though
    Otherwise the 30 day window you've been given to break the contract for free will lapse and you will be stung for the remaining monthly bills

Make the call and put them on notice immediately if you have not already done so
    Get an email sent to you to confirm this

You will be put on hold for ages to their cancellation team ,you will be told you cannot cancel until your contract is up but you demand your rights
    When they accept that they will offer you a year without the price rise and a free month but you say no thanks and request the email confirming you've exercised your free right to end the contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Goreme wrote: »
    I am on the Rathmore, Co. Meath transmitter. Last Sunday (23/10/16) around 1pm, the service was down... for a while (an hour?), and this morning Wed 26/10/16 it was also down at around 8am. Is it the (Imagine provided) router giving trouble, or has anyone else using this transmitter noticed issues?

I'm on the same site. I can't say that I have noticed any periods of downtime though I may not have been using the connection at the specific times you mentioned.

I have noticed though that off peak speeds seem to have been capped to under 70Mb/s. For the first few days I was getting over 90Mb/s usually well after midnight. This now seems to be gone. Obviously I never came close to these speeds at peak usage times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just got a text
    Site in east Galway delayed by ANOTHER month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ArKl0w wrote: »
    No
    Have you called them to give them your notice?
    If you have not ported by then ie had your imagine install,you will fall into a 30 day contract and worst case scenario have to pay Vodafone another €45

You absolutely must ring Vodafone and tell them you are excercising your right to cancel the 18 month contract you are on though
    Otherwise the 30 day window you've been given to break the contract for free will lapse and you will be stung for the remaining monthly bills

Make the call and put them on notice immediately if you have not already done so
    Get an email sent to you to confirm this

You will be put on hold for ages to their cancellation team ,you will be told you cannot cancel until your contract is up but you demand your rights
    When they accept that they will offer you a year without the price rise and a free month but you say no thanks and request the email confirming you've exercised your free right to end the contract

If mayola does that, does he/she have to give Vodafone 30 days notice? It may be useful if they do, because do we even know if Imagine are actually live for him/her? If it's not live until say December, then he/she may need an alternative for the short term and then what if they are a failed install? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭pjq

pjq wrote: »
    Calls to 1890, Mobiles and International

Sorry if I missed this , but where can I find the tariff for 1890, Mobile and International calls, anybody know how these costs compare to other operators?
    pjq

Thanks for the assistance;
    I looked up the tables and then called Imagine,
    - they said Prices are on Broadband page , then click "Legal Bit"
    - however they can offer "spot rates" for selected destinations , but not for 1890 etc. I was happy with the their spot offer for mid-europe and for Irish mobiles.
    I compared Imagine to Sky for 1850, 1890 and Irish mobiles, they are similar , sometimes a bit cheaper sometimes more costly.
    pjq

• Advertisement

I'm on the same site. I can't say that I have noticed any periods of downtime though I may not have been using the connection at the specific times you mentioned.

I have noticed though that off peak speeds seem to have been capped to under 70Mb/s. For the first few days I was getting over 90Mb/s usually well after midnight. This now seems to be gone. Obviously I never came close to these speeds at peak usage times.

Sods law. Came in at about 8PM and the connection was down. Rebooted the (Gemtek) router and it came back up. The router seems pretty hot to the touch. I hope it is not an overheating issue.

I check using speedtest.net from time to time. I am on a wireless laptop. I sometimes get, late at night, 50Mb. We are only using it for web surfing on the laptop, youtube on the laptop at the moment. Yes, at peak times its often low, less than 10 Mb. In fact I've just checked it twice, just now at 9.50pm, and the first time it was 2.5 Mb, and the second time it was 3.89Mb.... pretty low as 9.50pm should be off peak, I would have thougth. Is wireless speeds half what a LAN cable would be... so that would still be only 7.8Mb equivalent with a LAN cable?!

I check using speedtest.net from time to time. I am on a wireless laptop. I sometimes get, late at night, 50Mb. We are only using it for web surfing on the laptop, youtube on the laptop at the moment. Yes, at peak times its often low, less than 10 Mb. In fact I've just checked it twice, just now at 9.50pm, and the first time it was 2.5 Mb, and the second time it was 3.89Mb.... pretty low as 9.50pm should be off peak, I would have thougth. Is wireless speeds half what a LAN cable would be... so that would still be only 7.8Mb equivalent with a LAN cable?!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

I was having the same issue with Internet showing slow speeds in evening. But I have noticed if I change the server to the "Three Ireland" dublin server my speeds show perfect. Also if I download something the speeds are find however if I use any other speedtest server my speeds are 4mb and below at times

It is hard to say with wireless testing. I'm not seeing a pickup in speeds until after 11PM. Last evening I had my lowest peak speeds to date (8.6Mb/s at 9PM). It is still better than my previous connection but I would be concerned that speeds will continue to fall.

Looking at their Facebook page they never seem to mention Meath. I wonder if this is due to the mast being full.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

km79 wrote: »
    Just got a text
    Site in east Galway delayed by ANOTHER month

Yep, mid november now, I knew when all those signs came down over the weekend there was something a foot. Here's the text. Cappataggle mast.

Hi, just a quick update on your up and coming LTE High Speed Broadband Service. Unfortunately due to further delays with our third party suppliers your local LTE Service is now scheduled for completion mid November. Once the site goes live we will contact you within 10 working days to arrange your installation.

It is hard to say with wireless testing. I'm not seeing a pickup in speeds until after 11PM. Last evening I had my lowest peak speeds to date (8.6Mb/s at 9PM). It is still better than my previous connection but I would be concerned that speeds will continue to fall.

Looking at their Facebook page they never seem to mention Meath. I wonder if this is due to the mast being full.

On imagines website ,in a link I followed from facebook,it says 'we recommend that you download large files in the evenings ' I kid you not! :rolleyes:

ArKl0w wrote: »
    On imagines website ,in a link I followed from facebook,it says 'we recommend that you download large files in the evenings ' I kid you not! :rolleyes:

Perhaps they meant overnight. I have always tried to do so to do my bit to minimise network disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

How big of a factor does distance from the mast cause in speeds with this technology? I am unfortunately 16-18km from the closest mast which I fear is going to make this endeavor pointless int he long run.

tinodz wrote: »
    How big of a factor does distance from the mast cause in speeds with this technology? I am unfortunately 16-18km from the closest mast which I fear is going to make this endeavor pointless int he long run.

I would not give up hope just yet. I am over 12KM from the mast and have hit speeds of over 100Mb at off peak times. If you have a good line of sight I think you may have a useable signal. It is licenced spectrum so there should not be much interference. I think there was another poster in this thread at a similar distance to yourself. You might as well get them to do a signal test anyway. They won't install unless they can hit 30Mb/s.

• Advertisement

I would not give up hope just yet. I am over 12KM from the mast and have hit speeds of over 100Mb at off peak times. If you have a good line of sight I think you may have a useable signal. It is licenced spectrum so there should not be much interference. I think there was another poster in this thread at a similar distance to yourself. You might as well get them to do a signal test anyway. They won't install unless they can hit 30Mb/s.

Thanks. It is good to know they have a limit as to what they think is acceptable. Have been dealing with Three for a few years (as it was the only option), and they are regularly finding new low speeds to provide me with. It is currently 1.0 Mbps due to congestion. They can hit good highs when they feel like it, but it is very unreliable.

Imagine's lowest estimate, and even Imagine under congestion seem like it might be a valid option when my Three contract ends in November. I would like to finally be able to stream decent quality video after 8PM!

tinodz wrote: »
    Thanks. It is good to know they have a limit as to what they think is acceptable. Have been dealing with Three for a few years (as it was the only option), and they are regularly finding new low speeds to provide me with. It is currently 1.0 Mbps due to congestion. They can hit good highs when they feel like it, but it is very unreliable.

Imagine's lowest estimate, and even Imagine under congestion seem like it might be a valid option when my Three contract ends in November. I would like to finally be able to stream decent quality video after 8PM!

Imagine have their own contention problems at peak times but for me anyway the lowest speed I have tested was 8Mb/s so still a big improvement over your current provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

I am with Vodafone mobile broadband as it's the only one that is usable where I am. I rang Imagine to see what they could offer. I turns out that the aerial is around Mount Calan from us so that although my neighbour 200 yards up the road can get a signal I can't.

Is there any chance that Imagine will put up another aerial in North Clare so that they could expand their coverage? Also what range does the signal have from the masts would I get a signal from a mast in south Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Roynie wrote: »
    I am with Vodafone mobile broadband as it's the only one that is usable where I am. I rang Imagine to see what they could offer. I turns out that the aerial is around Mount Calan from us so that although my neighbour 200 yards up the road can get a signal I can't.

Is there any chance that Imagine will put up another aerial in North Clare so that they could expand their coverage? Also what range does the signal have from the masts would I get a signal from a mast in south Galway?

I think it's more important to have a line of sight to the mast, but I've read somewhere around 10-12km is close to the edge of range, although someone on here said they were 16km and got it a few pages back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

emm80 wrote: »
    I think it's more important to have a line of sight to the mast, but I've read somewhere around 10-12km is close to the edge of range, although someone on here said they were 16km and got it a few pages back.

I am 18km approx with definite line of sight and started off around 60mbps when connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

im 17km from the high site.... i dont have a direct line of sight theres trees in the distance about 2 km away blocking my line of sight... however i have a vast open area across the water (i.e. im on the shore of a lake) directly in front of the antenna they installed on a 20ft pole...

To be honest i wasnt holding out much hope but im getting 40 - 50mbps. so dont lose hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I was told that 23 kms was the limit, obviously line of sight is important. I'm pretty happy. I have given up doing speed tests as I have not noticed any degradation in the activities in which we are involved. I don't care it it drops to 10, plenty for me.

Nothing like open water for signal though,it's a well known thing called a sea path
    The top of the 20 foot pole probably does have a line of sight,the high site will be way higher than those trees anyway too

Meanwhile,I've got a message there from at least one person whose just got imagine telling me it's great and much faster than their Eir fibre at work
    So that's good to hear
    They seem to be installing in my area now,so am expecting a call next week sometime fingers crossed

I did the online coverage check last night and put in the info for them to contact me. I then got an text from the company saying it is possible I could get coverage. Good!

HOWEVER

Regretfully, today I got a call from a VERY pushy salesperson informing me there is limit access to the service, and I should act now to avoid missing out. The man was a few steps away from aggressively pushing the service on me, and was overly insistent I make a decision now. To be bluntly honest this man turned me off ever dealing with the company so I am going to avoid Imagine for now.

I am going to stick with Three for now. At least they dont harass would be customers.

edit - Okay, I gave the company another call and found a much nicer person to get information from. I am still aboard. Maybe Imagine could have better hiring practices though as the first guy was HORRIBLE.

• Advertisement

They've took down all the signs in my area which must mean they've hit the 400 number?

I was also told the number was limited and I was number 289 or something a month ago

Advertisement