Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

ArKl0w wrote: »
    They've took down all the signs in my area which must mean they've hit the 400 number?

I was also told the number was limited and I was number 289 or something a month ago

They took down all signs in my area last week, I dont see why they wouldnt just leave them up, the fact they go to the effort of sending someone around to take them down, I dunno, it just seems odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Well it may mean they're not actually in the business of overloading masts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Well it may mean they're not actually in the business of overloading masts?

or maybe they were unlawful and were told to take them down?

They're probably as unlawful to be honest as the similar sized ones scattered everywhere here advertising a local drama group
    So I doubt it's that

EDIT- From what I can ascertain they aren't illegal unless they're on a pole without the pole owners permission and there's no law against advertising hoardings on road sides that I can see unless someone here knows of a law against it

I'd imagine it is that they've filled their quota
    I'm not sure if that's good or bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

or maybe they were unlawful and were told to take them down?

You are correct. Thats why they were taken down near me.
    They're probably as unlawful to be honest as the similar sized ones scattered everywhere here advertising a local drama group
    So I doubt it's that

EDIT- From what I can ascertain they aren't illegal unless they're on a pole without the pole owners permission and there's no law against advertising hoardings on road sides that I can see unless someone here knows of a law against it

Those drama group signs are illegal too, but the CoCos usually turn a blind eye in keeping with community spirit. A company trying to make profit from such signs however is a litterer in the eyes of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

So I doubt it's that

I can tell you with absolute authority that county councils can fine €125 litter fine for each one and regularly do. It's still cheap advertising.

In practice what is usually done is a call will be put in to the provider giving them 24 hours to take them all down and maybe one representative fine levied by post, the threat being take them all down from my district or you'll get all the fines.

Interesting
    It might explain why they're advertising on radio now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Average speed of around 14mb with a ping of 40.
    Better than what I had but no where near as good as I was expecting.

Aye an acceptable stop gap though until the next better service arrives rurally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Anybody here connected to the Mt. Oriel site in Meath or Louth? Have you had any issues with speed dropping due to contention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Aye an acceptable stop gap though until the next better service arrives rurally

You keep saying this like it's OK to advertise fibre but actually supply a connection that drops into single figures. It's an expensive service unless you are getting decent speeds.

"LTE Fibre speed broadband starts with a connection that’s up to 70Mb a second."

"Imagine is bringing LTE super fast Fibre Broadband up to 70Mb "

That's what they are selling, but unfortunately it's not what they are supplying :(

I would also be concerned the service will degrade further as the masts fill.

You keep saying this like it's OK to advertise fibre but actually supply a connection that drops into single figures. It's an expensive service unless you are getting decent speeds.

"LTE Fibre speed broadband starts with a connection that’s up to 70Mb a second."

"Imagine is bringing LTE super fast Fibre Broadband up to 70Mb "

That's what they are selling, but unfortunately it's not what they are supplying :(

I would also be concerned the service will degrade further as the masts fill.

Seriously,With all due respect,what do you want?
    Loads of Eir fibre and other suppliers fibre connections can be in the teens at best and with a crap tv service and phone , they can cost up to €80 a month

All this moaning about what is potentially the best (for now) service available in rural areas
    See attached for heavens sake a line in Arklow town,fibre enabled for 30 megs,meaning teens or 20 at best

Manage expectations,results vary,fora like this mainly attracts news of problems,this is Ireland we live in not Cupertino :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Seriously,With all due respect,what do you want?

What they are advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

All broadband is sold as "up to"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All broadband is sold as "up to"
    Difference when you are telling people you won't install if the speed is less than 30Mbit in the morning when they install, yet at peak time 30Mbit is more of an ambitious target no matter how strong your signal is.

marno21 wrote: »
    Difference when you are telling people you won't install if the speed is less than 30Mbit in the morning when they install, yet at peak time 30Mbit is more of an ambitious target no matter how strong your signal is.

The installer would use decibel figures you wouldn't understand to determine the quality of the signal, not megabits, no way would he use a speedtest. If they say megabits they are just using language you might be able to get a grasp of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The installer would use decibel figures you wouldn't understand to determine the quality of the signal, not megabits, no way would he use a speedtest. If they say megabits they are just using language you might be able to get a grasp of.

You would like to think so but my install was amateur in the extreme. The guys told me they were doing it for a week and "training" was a one day course. they clearly had no idea of SNR, noise floors or any of the other metrics a competent installer would have. Their method of install was one guy on roof vaguely moving the antenna while the other guy did speedtests. The megabit figure was all they cared about despite there being a page of diagnostics provided by the antenna software.

It was so bad that when they left I had to adjust the antenna myself to get maximum signal. You are seriously overestimating the professionalism of this company.

You would like to think so but my install was amateur in the extreme. The guys told me they were doing it for a week and "training" was a one day course. they clearly had no idea of SNR, noise floors or any of the other metrics a competent installer would have. Their method of install was one guy on roof vaguely moving the antenna while the other guy did speedtests. The megabit figure was all they cared about despite there being a page of diagnostics provided by the antenna software.

It was so bad that when they left I had to adjust the antenna myself to get maximum signal. You are seriously overestimating the professionalism of this company.

Did you report this particular crew?
    Did you tell customer service that you moved the antenna yourself?
    How do you know your moving it got maximum signal,had you a meter?
    Or were you moving their antenna a little to the left a little to the right and doing a speed test each time which is what you're saying is all they did either?
    Every Speedtest I've (or anyone tbh) ever done run consequtively on any connection,on any network has been different each time either up or down so not a very precise indicator

I'd love to know if they have to test x or y specific number of times with a 30mb download min before the install is a go
    I'd be very surprised at this description of what happens at an install but I guess I'll know in a week

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is the terminology they are using. I can't speak for what they do use because I have never had any interaction with them.

I want to win the lotto and loads of things but realistically I know I'm not likely to get 100 mb from Eir Fibre either if I could get it
    More like 15 to 25 from the example I posted earlier and plenty of anecdotal
    I definitely do think I'm likely though to have 40 50 60 or higher at certain times of the day on imagine

It's all up to and it's not *that* bad
    In fact most rural areas and some urban will probably see it as their best yet from what's available to be fair

A few people cursing me now for making these points and my service will probably be jinxed :p

• Advertisement

How do you know they weren't pushing some traffic through the connection and getting someone in the office to read the signal from the AP to make the decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dudes who failed my install went by
    Firstly speed test -had to get over 30.
    Next were two separate metrics which had to be over a certain value but not more different from each other than a certain value.

Eg both figures must be over 9 but less than say 5 apart.
    So 12 and 9 would be a pass but 12 and 6 would be a fail

They were adamant about this and said the techs wouldn't let them install unless those metrics were satisfied. Said I'd be using up too much power from the mast otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

People have a right to be annoyed with Imagines service. We all know that all services with the exception of FTTH gives various connection speeds depending on distance. ADSL and FTTC is distance sensitive and Imagines LTE is distance sensitive as well as line of sight sensitive.

However the big thing that sets Imagine apart from all the others is that fixed line connections generally give the same level of performance all the time close to the maximum sync rate of whatever the user is getting.

Imagine's service was doing similar before they lost the NBP, Imagine users would get close to their maximum rate 24/7, those who were hitting 90, got 90 almost all the time, those who got 50 got close to 50 all the time.

But now many users here on boards have speeds of 50-90megs first thing in the morning, but by mid afternoon their speeds fall off a cliff to single digit ADSL speeds for the majority of the day and evening. To me that's just not on. It's massive contention, it's clearly not the service that is advertised. If I had Imagine's service paying 60 a month and seeing a fraction of my speed for the majority of the day I would be snapping.

I don't see why people seem to be ok about this.

How do you know they weren't pushing some traffic through the connection and getting someone in the office to read the signal from the AP to make the decision?

I was standing beside them the whole time watching everything. I had to tell them where the mast was. They were originally pointing in the wrong direction.

*Move antenna a bit*
    "What is it now?"
    "12 Meagabytes (sic)"
    "Move it again"
    "What now?"
    etc

They had to take screeenshots (with their phones lol) to verify the speedtest was over 30Mbit. Absolute amateurs. I don't know why you are defending them. No doubt the company has some competent installers but at the pace they are expanding there are going to be more inexperienced than experienced. They even left their installers book behind them with how to wire an ethernet cable!

long_b wrote: »
    Dudes who failed my install went by
    Firstly speed test -had to get over 30.
    Next were two separate metrics which had to be over a certain value but not more different from each other than a certain value.

Eg both figures must be over 9 but less than say 5 apart.
    So 12 and 9 would be a pass but 12 and 6 would be a fail

They were adamant about this and said the techs wouldn't let them install unless those metrics were satisfied. Said I'd be using up too much power from the mast otherwise.

The metrics I saw on the installers screen (among others) were:

RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power)
    RSRQ (Reference Signal Received Quality)
    SINR (Signal to Interference plus Noise Ratio)

These seem to be the most important for LTE.

400369.png

The LEDs on the antenna are a reflection of the SINR value. I believe >=23dB if all are on.

Gonzo wrote: »
    People have a right to be annoyed with Imagines service. We all know that all services with the exception of FTTH gives various connection speeds depending on distance. ADSL and FTTC is distance sensitive and Imagines LTE is distance sensitive as well as line of sight sensitive.

However the big thing that sets Imagine apart from all the others is that fixed line connections generally give the same level of performance all the time close to the maximum sync rate of whatever the user is getting.

Imagine's service was doing similar before they lost the NBP, Imagine users would get close to their maximum rate 24/7, those who were hitting 90, got 90 almost all the time, those who got 50 got close to 50 all the time.

But now many users here on boards have speeds of 50-90megs first thing in the morning, but by mid afternoon their speeds fall off a cliff to single digit ADSL speeds for the majority of the day and evening. To me that's just not on. It's massive contention, it's clearly not the service that is advertised. If I had Imagine's service paying 60 a month and seeing a fraction of my speed for the majority of the day I would be snapping.

I don't see why people seem to be ok about this.

I don't think it is a deliberate ploy by them after losing the NBP. I think those early tests were just on undersubscribed masts as the service was new so everone was getting decent service. It was always going to go downhill once the numbers joining climbed. As for why I am with them, it is the best service available to me at the present time and I would suspect that is the case for many others too.

Did you report this particular crew?
    Did you tell customer service that you moved the antenna yourself?
    How do you know your moving it got maximum signal,had you a meter?
    Or were you moving their antenna a little to the left a little to the right and doing a speed test each time which is what you're saying is all they did either?
    Every Speedtest I've (or anyone tbh) ever done run consequtively on any connection,on any network has been different each time either up or down so not a very precise indicator

I'd love to know if they have to test x or y specific number of times with a 30mb download min before the install is a go
    I'd be very surprised at this description of what happens at an install but I guess I'll know in a week

Are you suggesting I am making it up?

What happened was that they eventually got a test in the mid 60sMbps. Grand they said we'll install at that. The guy on the roof then says "I'll put the antenna as high as I can on the pole for you". Down he came eventually and now speeds were barely hitting 30Mbps. "Ah" he says "there can be fluctuations throughout the day".

At this stage they had been here nearly two hours and I was getting fed up of them so I let them go. I continued speedtesting and it never went above 30 so I climbed up on the roof and moved the antenna down (maybe a foot) until I got all it's LEDs on (best SNR). Did a speedtest and got mid 70Mbps.

No I didn't report them as for all their faults they were friendly lads and it is not my job to police them. Having dealt with Imagine for nearly ten years I'd day there would be little point in doing so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I were in between a rock and a hard place(Imagine and ER ADSL) its not the contention that'd really get me (400/site was there from the start) but the fact that they silently changed the TOS and then insisted they were always that way that would make me hate to give them a penny. Add to that a complete lockout from the CPE and you have a rotten deal.

If Imagine were to receive the entire allocation in the next auction they could go multi band at each site and in theory divide up.the customer base by several factors. In reality, if they paid 10s of millions for spectrum they couldn't afford to not over sell it again. Thanks COMREG. If ye rural dwellers are unhappy with things, blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

This latest page has not filled me with hope for my upcoming (attempted) install.

• Advertisement

Jaysis relax people :)
    The sense of entitlement in this thread by some is palpable
    The Luas will not be coming by your door if you live in the sticks anytime soon,get over it

What you will get though is improvements in stages,it might take decades for some,c'est la vie
    Some people,I would reckon a lot of people,are/would be delighted with this stop gap to the next improvement that comes to their area,and even in this hotbed thread of moaning,there are plenty campers glad of a major improvement on what they had

Advertisement