Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alpha_Moon

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Jaysis relax people :)
    The sense of entitlement in this thread by some is palpable
    The Luas will not be coming by your door if you live in the sticks anytime soon,get over it

What you will get though is improvements in stages,it might take decades for some,c'est la vie
    Some people,I would reckon a lot of people,are/would be delighted with this stop gap to the next improvement that comes to their area,and even in this hotbed thread of moaning,there are plenty campers glad of a major improvement on what they had

Stupid post. Why should people be delighted when they are paying 60euro for something that most people in urban areas get for 30/35 per month and works all the time.

• There's acceptable and ridiculous

I only have the service a week. Testing all weekend and I'm getting 2mb down

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There's acceptable and ridiculous

the fact that most users who have Imagine had nothing previous to it or have very low ADSL doesn't make it right that Imagine's customers should happily accept that their shiny new 'true fiber experience' is resulting in speeds such as the above. There really is no excuse. If Eir or Virgin Media has speeds such as this there would be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Alpha_Moon wrote: »
    Stupid post. Why should people be delighted when they are paying 60euro for something that most people in urban areas get for 30/35 per month and works all the time.

Because urban customers are profitable. Rural ones aren't and urban customers are paying €40 - €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo wrote: »
    the fact that most users who have Imagine had nothing previous to it or have very low ADSL doesn't make it right that Imagine's customers should happily accept that their shiny new 'true fiber experience' is resulting in speeds such as the above. There really is no excuse. If Eir or Virgin Media has speeds such as this there would be uproar.
    Eir do have speeds way less than imagine on many of their fibre accounts

As for whether the rural customers should not happily accept some having speeds at their lowest briefly of 5 but mostly lows in the teens (God forbid :rolleyes: )versus a previous much slower for them provider well...that truly is entitlementism gone mad

Just to repeat Rural Ireland is not Cupertino California because it's too costly as yet and no one is willing to pay for it

• Advertisement

There's acceptable and ridiculous

Well then get it out
    If mine only delivers that consistently,that's what I'll be doing and won't be afraid to say so here
    2mb all the time means your system is not working ,it is not normal
    They either fix it or it goes

You have two weeks to get out of contract free and after that it's a max charge of €101 to leave

If I had a penny for every broken service as broken as yours mentioned on boards by someone rightly peed off by it not working but not typical of most I'd be a very rich man and every telecom system and tv service in the country would be closed down..because of course complaints on boards are the whole service (they aren't by a long long shot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Is anyone having trouble with speeds over WiFi using the supplied router ?

If I'm anywhere other than in the same room as the router , my WiFi speeds drop to below 5Mbps . Upload speeds are unaffected

I have set up an access point in my bed room using an old router and did two speed tests . On the access point I got 38Mbps down and on the Imagine router I got 7Mbps

Seems a very significant drop to me. From my bedroom to the router there is a -40db drop in WiFi signal but then I did a speed test from the routers location to my access point and was able to achieve 20Mbps speed.

Hit wired speeds of 69Mbps tonight, so issues seem to be WiFi related.

So question is , is the supplied router sh*te or what is it?

Probably a clash of frequency or interference
    You'd need to change the routers wifi frequency which can only be done with customer support
    Great to hear of those speeds

We're hearing of them accidentally too as your issue is wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

nanook5 wrote: »
    Is anyone having trouble with speeds over WiFi using the supplied router ?

If I'm anywhere other than in the same room as the router , my WiFi speeds drop to below 5Mbps . Upload speeds are unaffected

I have set up an access point in my bed room using an old router and did two speed tests . On the access point I got 38Mbps down and on the Imagine router I got 7Mbps

Seems a very significant drop to me. From my bedroom to the router there is a -40db drop in WiFi signal but then I did a speed test from the routers location to my access point and was able to achieve 20Mbps speed.

Hit wired speeds of 69Mbps tonight, so issues seem to be WiFi related.

So question is , is the supplied router sh*te or what is it?
    Download this app and do a scan, great for displaying interference and channel overlap
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keuwl.wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TimHorton

tinodz wrote: »
    This latest page has not filled me with hope for my upcoming (attempted) install.

Well don't read the last 2 months of posts - Mostly Negative with single digit speed in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Decided to cancel my Imagine LTE order and use the €100 returned to buy an external 4G Antenna for my "Free" Three 4G Broadband, Very happy with the result as the €20 I topup with each month is used in the Play Store for Games/Music and my Broadband is free.

BTW I am 7 KM as the crow flies from 3 LTE Mast and this is what I get.

5760952247.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

TimHorton wrote: »
    Decided to cancel my Imagine LTE and use the €100 returned to buy an external 4G Antenna for my "Free" Three 4G Broadband, Very happy with result as the €20 I topup with each month is used in the Play Store for Games/Music and my Broadband is free.

5760952247.png

Cancelled before the installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Been in infrequent mail contact with support regarding the low peak time speeds, and things have gone more or less back to the way they were for the last few days - fingers crossed. Apparently they logged into my router and made some changes (and turned on their wifi again :P which i had turned off).
    Speed Tests

morgana wrote: »
    Been in infrequent mail contact with support regarding the low peak time speeds, and things have gone more or less back to the way they were for the last few days - fingers crossed. Apparently they logged into my router and made some changes (and turned on their wifi again :P which i had turned off).
    Speed Tests

Nothing to complain about there!

Nothing to complain about there!

Nope, nothing at all.
    It helps to have records, they can't argue much with that. I just kept sending the occasional mail pointing out the reduction in peak speeds.

Even got a follow up call from CS today to confirm that speeds were improved after they made changes to my unit and last night to the high site. Quite concerned even that, if I noticed the outage (which I did), that there was a reason for it.
    I'm never concerned with short outages, they happen.
    So far so good, happy camper again :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Nope, nothing at all.
    It helps to have records, they can't argue much with that. I just kept sending the occasional mail pointing out the reduction in peak speeds.

Even got a follow up call from CS today to confirm that speeds were improved after they made changes to my unit and last night to the high site. Quite concerned even that, if I noticed the outage (which I did), that there was a reason for it.
    I'm never concerned with short outages, they happen.
    So far so good, happy camper again :P.

Must get onto them.
    Mines down to 3mg in the evening.
    How are you getting in contact with them?
    Phone is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I was worried that I'd lose my chance for a spot on my nearest high site so I said I would bite the bullet and run 2 providers in tandem (current provider contract doesn't expire till June of next year). The sales guy told me I can push out the install and, therefore, the bills. As long as I pay the €100 installation fee, my place on the mast is guaranteed.
    Happy days. Paid the installation fee and going to push out the install till March next year.
    Not sure why the original sales person that contacted me didn't tell me that in the first place.

Installation fee is refundable is the installation fails for whatever reason but I am only 2 - 3 km from the high site so the guy was pretty confident it'd work despite any line of sight issues.

chrismon wrote: »
    Must get onto them.
    Mines down to 3mg in the evening.
    How are you getting in contact with them?
    Phone is a waste of time.

I mailed support (ltesupport@imagine.ie). About 3 weeks from my first mail to changes being made, about 3 mails from me, responses took a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

I mailed support (ltesupport@imagine.ie). About 3 weeks from my first mail to changes being made, about 3 mails from me, responses took a week or so.

A week?

Are they for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Probably a clash of frequency or interference
    You'd need to change the routers wifi frequency which can only be done with customer support

Surely, there is no need for customer support , it is easy task, can be done through the router WEB interface .
    Personally , I had to turn WI-Fi OFF(Gemtek) for good, as I have better AP

• Advertisement

• Bomb them via email live support and phone call at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Bomb them via email live support and phone call at the same time

Hmmm. I did that. Also used livechat, which I have never ever got through on. Finally got a response after 13 days, 9 working days, with the same as Morgana got. " We've reset and updated your router" Blah blah!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappy123

Called in the other day for an update, got the answer everything is built just waiting on Eir to connect up. So I asked is the equipment on the tower To which they replied yes everything is in place. That's strange I replied as I am on the tower at the moment doing work for someone else and I see no imagine equipment installed. They then went down a script with the line of "we will be calling customers at the end of October to arrange installation dates. We are now into November, I reserved my connection in August when they said it will be in by September. Just drove past the tower again today still no equipment installed.

These guys are really starting to waffle!

Feck lads, I'm getting worried now. Maybe I should stick with my current FWA provider (3mb in the evenings, 10mb in the day).
    I'm really concerned now about moving to Imagine. Have paid the deposit, but strongly considering cancelling. They've moved the Athy live site back to mid/late November, and that could take longer.

My current ISP is grand when it works, but gaming is a nightmare. Trying to play Rocket League/Overwatch/Battlefield causes me to rubberband every few minutes and usually results in me dying or doing something stupid in-game.

Anyone have any extensive gaming time with Imagine LTE and able to give their opinion on it's performance?

NakQuada wrote: »
    Anyone have any extensive gaming time with Imagine LTE and able to give their opinion on it's performance?

I play MMORPGs and even the recent poor (now fixed) evening speeds have had no effect on gaming (even with 2 people playing on the same time).
    Pings in-game (server is in Amsterdam afaik) are between 49 and 69 mostly, no lag.
    I am a raider so lag would affect me quite badly and I've had none for ages, nor d/cs or other connection based problems.
    Online gaming is usually fairly low download / upload activity much more dependent on ping.

Install today so you'll have another information point from someone with the service,will report back later

Just called in again for the craic a pretended I would like to purchase the product and had an online chat going at the same time doing the same thing. Guy on the phone said it went live at the end of October. The guy on chat said it will not be live until the end of November. where would you be going if they can't get their story straight! Cappataggle tower

This was for the cappataggle tower

I play MMORPGs and even the recent poor (now fixed) evening speeds have had no effect on gaming (even with 2 people playing on the same time).
    Pings in-game (server is in Amsterdam afaik) are between 49 and 69 mostly, no lag.
    I am a raider so lag would affect me quite badly and I've had none for ages, nor d/cs or other connection based problems.
    Online gaming is usually fairly low download / upload activity much more dependent on ping.

Hmm, thanks for that Morgana. Any issues with gaming while somebody else is doing something heavy like HD YouTube/Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

NakQuada wrote: »
    Feck lads, I'm getting worried now. Maybe I should stick with my current FWA provider (3mb in the evenings, 10mb in the day).
    I'm really concerned now about moving to Imagine. Have paid the deposit, but strongly considering cancelling. They've moved the Athy live site back to mid/late November, and that could take longer.

My current ISP is grand when it works, but gaming is a nightmare. Trying to play Rocket League/Overwatch/Battlefield causes me to rubberband every few minutes and usually results in me dying or doing something stupid in-game.

Don't know about everyone else but I'm getting 25-40Mb constant day and night and I'm 23km from the mast.No ping issues .

Advertisement