Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

tinodz wrote: »
    Everyone in this thread is making me scared to go to Imagine, but it has to be better than this...

5777439681.png
    ...right?

I'm in bed at the minute so can't attach the PC speeds but here's one off my phone from Friday which is one of the higher ones recently. I tend to do all my main speed tests on PC hardwired.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2357416257

It will be slightly better than what you have but for 60 euro a month I would expect a lot more!

Weses wrote: »
    So I've been using it for a few more days and it's been going great. Only problem is the wifi is terrible. But the connection plugged into my PC is surprisingly consistent at around 60mbps, nearly all times of the day. I guess it will get slower over time, the more people that get it... I really can't believe how fast it is so far. I wonder how long this is going to last before I start having issues. :(

Is there anything I can do about the wifi cutting off when I go anywhere outside my room? It's surprisingly bad considering the speed I'm getting otherwise...

You would be better buying a decent router with a wan port and feeding a cat 5 cable from the Ethernet port of the imagine router into the wan port of it and will get a better throughout and range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Weses wrote: »
    So I've been using it for a few more days and it's been going great. Only problem is the wifi is terrible. But the connection plugged into my PC is surprisingly consistent at around 60mbps, nearly all times of the day. I guess it will get slower over time, the more people that get it... I really can't believe how fast it is so far. I wonder how long this is going to last before I start having issues. :(

Is there anything I can do about the wifi cutting off when I go anywhere outside my room? It's surprisingly bad considering the speed I'm getting otherwise...

Their router isn't the best ,you'll improve things if you get a wifi extender and pair it via the wps buttons and place it upstairs in the centre of your house

https://www.facebook.com/brightside/videos/286118825069335/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alpha_Moon

tinodz wrote: »
    Everyone in this thread is making me scared to go to Imagine, but it has to be better than this...

...right?

I'm with imagine and have had no internet since last tuesday and still no sign of them coming to fix it so no is not better than that. Those speeds are what i had and am ringing today to get it back.
    Imagine have the worst customer service on the planet. It's a lovely idea but they are not the answer. Don't get caught for the 150 install like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alpha_Moon

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Just as a counterpoint jeeze,I was onto to me their very helpful tech for nearly an hour the other day configuring this that and the other
    When they weren't sure,they googled :D

Slowest speed so far since this was installed 4 days ago was last night at 50 to 60Mb around 930
    Using Manchester it was in the 90s
    Back into the 90's by 11 and the same right now

Nobody gives a toss really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

irishchris wrote: »
    I'm in bed at the minute so can't attach the PC speeds but here's one off my phone from Friday which is one of the higher ones recently. I tend to do all my main speed tests on PC hardwired.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2357416257

It will be slightly better than what you have but for 60 euro a month I would expect a lot more!

Notice from your link that you're close to Limerick. Whereabouts and do you know what mast you are using?

I'm out in Murroe so would most likely be connecting towards Woodcock Hill if I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Their router isn't the best ,you'll improve things if you get a wifi extender and pair it via the wps buttons and place it upstairs in the centre of your house

https://www.facebook.com/brightside/videos/286118825069335/

I must be the exception, whilst the actual speeds vary a lot, my wifi is excellent from their router (Huawei), it reaches every corner in the house and doesn't loose a lot of speed.

I must be the exception, whilst the actual speeds vary a lot, my wifi is excellent from their router (Huawei), it reaches every corner in the house and doesn't loose a lot of speed.

Could b from the fact that imagine don't us a standard router. Some gave greenpacket router, some have huawei and others like me have gemtek. The gemtek and greenpacket from experience are cheap and have poor range so hopefully your huawei is a better product

Notice from your link that you're close to Limerick. Whereabouts and do you know what mast you are using?

I'm out in Murroe so would most likely be connecting towards Woodcock Hill if I got it.

Speed test just used Limerick server as was the lesser ping . I am off the abbeyknockmoy mast in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Very windy here today and my very exposed imagine pole is actually moving
    Bobbing away in the wind

It would not want to be much stronger to take it off line

WHITE CABLE TIES!!!!!!!

They will all fail from UV and fall off in 6-9 months. Then your cable will rub. Then you'll get water in the cable and the service will fail and you'll need a service call to run a whole new cable and replace the internal POE router which will be waterlogged and have green rust on the RJ45 pins.

Such incompetence I haven't seen in years.

Let's have a bet to see whether their 3.5GHz licence goes first or all the cables on all of their CPE installs.....

• Advertisement

9726_9726 wrote: »
    WHITE CABLE TIES!!!!!!!

They will all fail from UV and fall off in 6-9 months. Then your cable will rub. Then you'll get water in the cable and the service will fail and you'll need a service call to run a whole new cable and replace the internal POE router which will be waterlogged and have green rust on the RJ45 pins.

Such incompetence I haven't seen in years.

Let's have a bet to see whether their 3.5GHz licence goes first or all the cables on all of their CPE installs.....
    UV ? I know it's sunny in the photo,but Where do you think we live,the canaries :D
    The cable is reeled both inside and out so I don't see a drip problem
    I don't know if the entry on the aerial box is sealed though,I haven't got up and looked but it enters underneath so no drop into that box is possible
    I will replace the cable ties at the first sign of them going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

On a side note anybody gotten a refund off these clowns for a failed install? Awaiting one since 20th of last month 😡

On a side note anybody gotten a refund off these clowns for a failed install? Awaiting one since 20th of last month 😡

Do a card charge back,it's simpler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

I already have something on chimney from another wireless provider 6 years ago . They would not take it down when I left.
    Wonder could they use this one again and just adjust it ?

km79 wrote: »
    I already have something on chimney from another wireless provider 6 years ago . They would not take it down when I left.

I doubt they could use the receiver but they would be able to use the pole and simply attach their antenna to it. Be very handy install for them

Latest speed test at the end of 85 mtrs of cat5E
    It's the fastest one yet done in the house about 5 mins ago hosted by blacknight :)

(The installers did get 103 outside)

uZ8dkPx.jpg

It's the fastest one yet done in the house about 5 mins ago hosted by blacknight :)

uZ8dkPx.jpg
    Wowsers
    You are living the dream :D

UV ? I know it's sunny in the photo,but Where do you think we live,the canaries :D
    The cable is reeled both inside and out so I don't see a drip problem
    I don't know if the entry on the aerial box is sealed though,I haven't got up and looked but it enters underneath so no drop into that box is possible
    I will replace the cable ties at the first sign of them going

Yes there is UV in the sun in Ireland, it's the same sun as in the Canaries. And yes I have first hand experience of what I described. They *will* fail. You should replace them with black ones.

Also it doesn't matter re drip loops, service loops, coiling of cable. The top end of the cable is higher than the bottom end. If the cable chafes, water will absolutely make its way to the bottom. Again, I have lots of experience with these matters.

Using white ties on commercial installs is absolute cowboy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Imagine out canvassing for business in my area at moment....so broadly speaking is their service quite poor?

uZ8dkPx.jpg

That looks like one great speed test! Re the peering, would you be able to post a traceroute to www.blacknight.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Y U POST GIANT IMAGES
    Y U QUOTE GIANT IMAGES

https://i.imgur.com/uZ8dkPx.jpg -> https://i.imgur.com/uZ8dkPxl.jpg = sanity

That looks like one great speed test! Re the peering, would you be able to post a traceroute to www.blacknight.com?

Will do
    <Kim bassinger voice> if I only knew how> :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Imagine out canvassing for business in my area at moment....so broadly speaking is their service quite poor?
    Remember, it is a very small albeit vocal minority posting here where some people certainly have serious issues with the service. Speaking from my own experience, and I have been with them since February, I've had a few ups and downs, i'm happy enough. No comparison to what I had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Got this installed today
    Heres my results. Not too shabby.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5779141714

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

morgana wrote: »
    Remember, it is a very small albeit vocal minority posting here where some people certainly have serious issues with the service. Speaking from my own experience, and I have been with them since February, I've had a few ups and downs, i'm happy enough. No comparison to what I had before.

+1 - With them now for almost 2 months , no serious interruptions. Works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Using white ties on commercial installs is absolute cowboy stuff.

Black cable ties last about a year in the elements too you know, there's little difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Black cable ties last about a year in the elements too you know, there's little difference.

Regular ones may, decent ones rated for outdoor use should do much better.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nothing to beat a good half dozen laps of decent quality black PVC tape. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

km79 wrote: »

is that a bungalow or 2 storey house? They initially wouldnt install on my 2 storey's chimney even though mine was right against the gable (unlike yours) and there was a preexisting pole there too. They tried to get an adequate signal else where under the eaves but couldnt.
    They mightnt have a roofing ladder to get to your chimney, installers for me only had regular extension ladders.
    In the end they installed on chimney but insisted on taking down the other pole and bracked and putting up their own...

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote: »
    is that a bungalow or 2 storey house? They initially wouldnt install on my 2 storey's chimney even though mine was right against the gable (unlike yours) and there was a preexisting pole there too. They tried to get an adequate signal else where under the eaves but couldnt.
    They mightnt have a roofing ladder to get to your chimney, installers for me only had regular extension ladders.
    In the end they installed on chimney but insisted on taking down the other pole and bracked and putting up their own...

Dormer

Advertisement