Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ArKl0w wrote: »
    First speed test during rain just now

Rain won't have any appreciable effect at 3.5GHz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Alpha_Moon wrote: »
    Do me a favour, in 4 weeks come back
    to me with these same tests.

Certainly I will.

For reference, I have 433 timestamped results, taken every four hours since 29/08 (and will continue to gather them). Of these, six (<2%) are sub 30Mb, and of those, three were taken with the bad Huawei firmware (discussed in detail earlier in this thread). 167 (~38%) are over 70Mb.

The results for tests at 21:00 (peak) show a minimum of 28.39Mb (30/10), a maximum of 87.17Mb (09/10), and an average of 55.58Mb.

I can attach the full CSV if you really are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Rain won't have any appreciable effect at 3.5GHz.

When I was a kid,the vhf tv from kippure used improve during the rain :p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When I was a kid,the vhf tv from kippure used improve during the rain :p

That's because you came indoors :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sportaholhic!

Hi guys and dolls, I am new to Imagine and new here so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I got installed last week and so good so far. I have the router connected all over the house with power links and no real speed drop(as with my previous set up), all my devices connected perfectly except my Sky on demand. I have tried everything suggested on the net and by Sky yet all though it says on demand is connected I can't download any thing. When I click on the program, is says downloading for about 20 secs and then nothing and when I check the planner it says failed. Any help would be appreciated please.

By the way, any one know the imagine router user name and pass word?
    Hi seanvanseanvan, I have had this problem since joining Imagine 2 months ago, the funny thing is that I can download stuff on some of the On Demand channels but not on others.

It gives me the error "Failed Rec: Technical Fault - 11 (266)" on the failed ones

From doing a bit of research a lot of people in the UK are having similar issues and it appears Sky are aware of the issue but some of the posts I read go back to 2014/15 so they obviously have no fix for it.

I can't download any of the sky channels but I can download from a few of the non sky ones such as:

RTE Player
    3 Player
    All 4
    W
    Gold
    Dave

Could you try the on demand on those and see if it works?

So its something blocking access to all sky channels including sports and movies which is odd.

I have been on to Sky numerous times gone through all the routines, planner reset, complete box reset and even a replacement box but the same issue is there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Maybe a stupid question, if so, I apologise- do you have the sky box connected over wifi or ethernet ?
    If wifi- can you to sky settings and check the signal ? If cable can you connect something else and see if you get a good connection from that particular cable ?
    I remember I had an issue with sky as well, download speeds very low, now frantically trying to remember what I did to fix..

Hi Harry, I have connected both WiFi and Ethernet and no difference. I have a DVD player with Netflix and I connected that to same Ethernet port and it works perfect.

Hi seanvanseanvan, I have had this problem since joining Imagine 2 months ago, the funny thing is that I can download stuff on some of the On Demand channels but not on others.

It gives me the error "Failed Rec: Technical Fault - 11 (266)" on the failed ones

From doing a bit of research a lot of people in the UK are having similar issues and it appears Sky are aware of the issue but some of the posts I read go back to 2014/15 so they obviously have no fix for it.

I can't download any of the sky channels but I can download from a few of the non sky ones such as:

RTE Player
    3 Player
    All 4
    W
    Gold
    Dave

So its something blocking access to all sky channels including sports and movies which is odd.

I have been on to Sky numerous times gone through all the routines, planner reset, complete box reset and even a replacement box but the same issue is there

Hi Sportaholic, the RTE player is working. This is very strange. I did read alot of old threads in the U.K. as well but never a definite reply or fix. I did however spot something on Facebook from a sky rep saying a particular port on the router needed to be opened and the UK isp was aware of it but the thread finished at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is a raspberry pi (gen 1 or 2) fast enough to set up as a regular speed tester? Have one sitting around looking for something to do with itself and is starting to get impudent...

Yeah its very strange, I am surprised more Imagine/Sky users are not having the same issues. It can't just be a handful of us?

Maybe its down to the type of router we have? I have the white WVRTR-126GN Model

Will get onto Imagine and mention that port issue see if they have any idea

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

Which modem is the best one to get from imagine. I have an install scheduled for this afternoon so just wondering which one to avoid/ask for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RTE Player
    3 Player
    All 4
    W
    Gold
    Dave

If imagines network, or the edge router you're using, is missing a route to the Sky CDN(Probably in the UK) then you could fail to connect like that. As the sources for other stations may well be elsewhere they'd remain operational.

The best route to determine whats going on would be to packet capture the SkyBox's attempts to connect. This may be tricky though if you're a novice user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

What's it like hardwired,probably double that or more:)

It actually fairly close to wifi speeds . Ive got 50-69mb hardwired but usually it stays at the 30-35 mb mark. Still better than the 4.5mb I was getting with sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

It will be IP address related - $ky and vodafone particularly are terrible at updating IP Geolocations

ED E wrote: »
    If imagines network, or the edge router you're using, is missing a route to the Sky CDN(Probably in the UK) then you could fail to connect like that. As the sources for other stations may well be elsewhere they'd remain operational.

The best route to determine whats going on would be to packet capture the SkyBox's attempts to connect. This may be tricky though if you're a novice user.
    Thanks ED E, I'm not an expert but do know a bit, could you give me a quick start on how I'd go about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Which modem is the best one to get from imagine. I have an install scheduled for this afternoon so just wondering which one to avoid/ask for?

I've got Gemtek WVRTM-127acn.Not sure if you could choose though.
    Antenna (LTE modem with the SIM card in it) is outside on the top of roof and second unit is router itself ( which is also supplying lte modem with power over the Ethernet) inside the room.
    Router got dual Band WI-FI (2.4 Ghz,5 Ghz), 2.4 range very poor, 5 Ghz more or less decent .Had to disable wifi for good as my own router has better range anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Thanks ED E, I'm not an expert but do know a bit, could you give me a quick start on how I'd go about that?
    You probably have to do port forwarding in order to get it work/or disable router firewall

Will get onto Imagine and mention that port issue see if they have any idea

I got on to Sky and all though very helpful all he could do was raise a case with
    the tech team in the UK and they be back to me within a week or 2 !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Well after 58 mins on hold on Monday trying to get through to cancellations I was told that they were extremely busy in cancellations (not surprised!) and I was assured they would call me back. Hours later no answer so rang and after over 40 mins on hold got through to cancellations who assured me it would be sorted after speaking to a manager in the morning. No answer by afternoon so rang again. Was told the operators that was dealing with it was with the manager and would ring me after 10 mins but again no call so then was told she was in a meeting for an hour but would ring me straight after it. Low and behold no call!!! How bad is this company at customer service. I lodged a complaint with comreg yesterday in relation to the fact that my service ceased working in peak times since September and as of late the service is unfit for purpose as is now unusable after 7pm. I also asked them to look at the fact that imagine are using the term fibre speed in their sales when in reality this is an LTE wisp which just about maintains ADSL like speeds at the best of times for many. Thankfully this evening comreg have contacted me and gave me case number and are going to contact imagine regarding both of these issues.
    As far as I'm concerned I have given my notice since Monday and will be leaving accordingly.
    Now for another 50 minute call in morning to be placed on hold to hopefully get through to someone in cancellations AGAIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

irishchris wrote: »
    Well after 58 mins on hold on Monday trying to get through to cancellations I was told that they were extremely busy in cancellations (not surprised!) and I was assured they would call me back. Hours later no answer so rang and after over 40 mins on hold got through to cancellations who assured me it would be sorted after speaking to a manager in the morning. No answer by afternoon so rang again. Was told the operators that was dealing with it was with the manager and would ring me after 10 mins but again no call so then was told she was in a meeting for an hour but would ring me straight after it. Low and behold no call!!! How bad is this company at customer service. I lodged a complaint with comreg yesterday in relation to the fact that my service ceased working in peak times since September and as of late the service is unfit for purpose as is now unusable after 7pm. I also asked them to look at the fact that imagine are using the term fibre speed in their sales when in reality this is an LTE wisp which just about maintains ADSL like speeds at the best of times for many. Thankfully this evening comreg have contacted me and gave me case number and are going to contact imagine regarding both of these issues.
    As far as I'm concerned I have given my notice since Monday and will be leaving accordingly.
    Now for another 50 minute call in morning to be placed on hold to hopefully get through to someone in cancellations AGAIN!
    I feel sorry for you Chris they are given you a good run about hopefully you can get it sort out soon.I would never go back with imagine after experience I had with them years ago seem they haven't change much since that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi Chris,

I can't help but feel sorry for people getting duped into thinking Imagine are the answer to poor Broadband. I can honestly say now that when I ran them and got 6meg vodafone dsl in it was miles ahead of Wimax or LTE or whatever they are calling it.

And then the poor customer service and absolute disregard for people who are handing over good money to have a service installed.

I mean who charges an installation fee these days? Vodafone, eir and virgin don't.

I think we have to spread the word to people and tell them how poor a company this is to get involved with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I mean who charges an installation fee these days? Vodafone, eir and virgin don't.

I'm no supporter of Imagine, but there is a lot more work involved in them installing at a customers premises than what a fixed line ISP has to do. At most they have to do a bit of jumpering at the cab/exchange, possibly change the master socket and plug in a router. Not a huge amount of work - few minutes each for a single tech.

Imagine have to send out a couple of people, do signal testing, mount a pole, connect the LTE device, cable it back inside the house and set up the router inside. There's been reports on here that they've spent 2-3 hours doing this. So that's a lot of labour to carry out, so I'm not surprised they have to charge.

Also, they need to cover the costs of failed installs too. They've sent two people out to some remote house many KMs from their next job only to find no/inadequate signal. That costs labour and diesel, which they can't recoup from the customer that failed, so they need to cover it from elsewhere.

Most WISPs have a charge because of these factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Hi Chris,

I can't help but feel sorry for people getting duped into thinking Imagine are the answer to poor Broadband. I can honestly say now that when I ran them and got 6meg vodafone dsl in it was miles ahead of Wimax or LTE or whatever they are calling it.

And then the poor customer service and absolute disregard for people who are handing over good money to have a service installed.

I think we have to spread the word to people and tell them how poor a company this is to get involved with.

Totally agree but hopefully people can look at people's experience here and make a balanced decision now that they have seen both sides.

I'm on hold on the phone now for 20 mins, I wonder how much longer until I get through to someone who will apologise for not getting back and then tell me that the cancellation team are busy but will definitely ring me back later!

Totally agree but hopefully people can look at people's experience here and make a balanced decision now that they have seen both sides.

I'm on hold on the phone now for 20 mins, I wonder how much longer until I get through to someone who will apologise for not getting back and then tell me that the cancellation team are busy but will definitely ring me back later!

Plenty of threads on boards regarding their dismal services etc.

They will rebrand LTE to something different when it's toxic.

To be fair WiMAX and lte are two completely different technologies
    Ergo it's not valid to compare being a customer of one type of phasing out technology with a different faster one

That would be like saying Eir delivered a terrible service to you when you were getting dial up from them versus Eir fibre

Ergo it's not valid to compare being a customer of one type of phasing out technology with a different faster one

That would be like saying Eir delivered a terrible service to you when you were getting dial up from them versus Eir fibre

I disagree Arklow. I know how sneaky this lot are.

I'm saying that it's convenient for them to change names once a product becomes toxic.

That's what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

To be fair LTE and fibre are two completely different technologies.

To be fair LTE and fibre are two completely different technologies.

Aye but they're advertising fibre speed not actual fibre! And there's evidence on this thread that thats what they do,given many fibre customers get 20 to 40 on average,some less!

Also smelly socks seems to be suggesting that imagine lte is a rebrand of imagine wimax
    It's a different product
    Of course it's going to be described different

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Aye but they're advertising fibre speed not actual fibre! And there's evidence on this thread that thats what they do,given many fibre customers get 20 to 40 on average,some less!

Also smelly socks seems to be suggesting that imagine lte is a rebrand of imagine wimax
    It's a different product
    Of course it's going to be described different

I see the products as very different. We all know Imagine LTE is not real fiber, even FTTC is not real fiber. However, most people when they see Imagine marketing the product with fiber speeds and the 'true fiber experience' will automatically think and expect that they will get 'fiber' speeds of 50-100 meg. If every Imagine customer had great speeds such as yours are now, there wouldn't be any complaints.

Ditto though with most other suppliers,like a sky fibre customer I know across the road from a cabinet,line fibre activated up to 100meg and getting 20
    Like most people outside of specialist bubbles like this forum,they don't care because the product works well and does everything they want

Fibre (meaning speed) is a word now,just like tape
    I've the sky box set to tape xfactor

• Advertisement

Guys,

I know that fibre and LTE are not the same. But the advertising is misleading?

I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised given Imagines track record if they are renaming Wimax.

Advertisement