Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brianer81

Hi. I had the installers out today from imagine and the lads said I couldn't pick up the Athlone mast as a hill was in my way. I picked up the Longford mast but its too far away. I live halfway between Athlone and ballinasloe and was only getting 1meg with eircom, so I was looking forward to faster speeds. So disheartened at the moment. Any suggestions much welcomed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

brianer81 wrote: »
    Hi. I had the installers out today from imagine and the lads said I couldn't pick up the Athlone mast as a hill was in my way. I picked up the Longford mast but its too far away. I live halfway between Athlone and ballinasloe and was only getting 1meg with eircom, so I was looking forward to faster speeds. So disheartened at the moment. Any suggestions much welcomed !

Don't lose heart. You have probably dodged a bullet to be fair. Usually those guys will install and run. Then your left chasing your tail.

4G an option for web browsing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Don't lose heart. You have probably dodged a bullet to be fair. Usually those guys will install and run. Then your left chasing your tail.

4G an option for web browsing?
    To be fair to the Imagine guys - they don't install and run. My install was testament to this as it took 3 attempts to get me up and running as they weren't happy with the speeds/signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

As suggested,have you 4G from any of the providers
    Try it with a hotspot on your phone for a while but place your phone somewhere in the house that has at least 2 bars of signal
    Do a Speedtest in various parts of the house until you find the best signal
    Use an android phone for this as IOS devices report hotspot use to the provider
    Use also only a PAYG account for this

You might get a decent speed somewhere in the house on 3G also if 4G isn't available but try find a 4G signal first

Mr Velo wrote: »
    To be fair to the Imagine guys - they don't install and run. My install was testament to this as it took 3 attempts to get me up and running as they weren't happy with the speeds/signal.
    Thanks for the reply's, want to be able to stream and also a bit of gaming but 4g etc seems too restrictive. I'll just have yo wait it out for a decent option :(

• Advertisement

ArKl0w wrote: »
    As suggested,have you 4G from any of the providers
    Try it with a hotspot on your phone for a while but place your phone somewhere in the house that has at least 2 bars of signal
    Do a Speedtest in various parts of the house until you find the best signal
    Use an android phone for this as IOS devices report hotspot use to the provider
    Use also only a PAYG account for this

You might get a decent speed somewhere in the house on 3G also if 4G isn't available but try find a 4G signal first
    I'll try that, cheers

Thanks for the reply's, want to be able to stream and also a bit of gaming but 4g etc seems too restrictive. I'll just have yo wait it out for a decent option :(

You can stream to your hearts content on three pay as you go 4G if you have that as limits are rarely enforced
    The hotspot on your phone connects to your devices the same as a wifi network

You can stream to your hearts content on three pay as you go 4G if you have that as limits are rarely enforced
    The hotspot on your phone connects to your devices the same as a wifi network

I'll give it a go. Never even thought of that as i presumed they were strict with data limits. In fairness to the imagine lads they tried for over an hour to get the signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I'll give it a go. Never even thought of that as i presumed they were strict with data limits. In fairness to the imagine lads they tried for over an hour to get the signal.

If you get decent 4G and unlimited data it will be than 3G or 3.5G or LTE or Wimax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Well finally got my contract cancelled although imagine offered to have techs around by this afternoon it was too little too late. Since September I have tried in vain with dozens of emails all with timestamped speed tests showing the issues and numerous calls not once was I contacted back to rectify it. Two days trying to cancel and no callback. Comreg took over my case and contacted imagine on my behalf this morning and contract cancelled and no cancellation charge as they had seen I tried in vain for months to get the situation rectified and had no response from imagine during this two months.
    Now with three broadband and so far so good. Will be interesting to try them at peak times tonight though
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2370630138

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you in ?

Down in Clare or Limerick I think
    I'd imagine three do enforce caps on their dongles? Which is why I wouldn't recommend anything other than the hotspot on a payg android as the dongles limits are low enough for the price
    That's a note,so a hotspot Chris?

What part of the country are you in ?

Galway

Down in Clare or Limerick I think
    I'd imagine three do enforce caps on their dongles? Which is why I wouldn't recommend anything other than the hotspot on a payg android as the dongles limits are low enough for the price
    That's a note,so a hotspot Chris?

It's a payg SIM in lte router for a third of what I was paying imagine. I would have no problem having paid imagine every month and staying with them if they kept up their end of the deal and provided a useable fibre speed broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

irishchris wrote: »
    Galway

It's a payg SIM in lte router for a third of what I was paying imagine. I would have no problem having paid imagine every month and staying with them if they kept up their end of the deal and provided a useable fibre speed broadband

Is that the 60gb a month deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Galway

And remenber to add your 3 number as a Payment Option on the Google Play Store and spend your €20/month there , So essentially your broadband is free. I have been doing this for over a year.

Hococop wrote: »
    Is that the 60gb a month deal?

Only 2gigs a day ? :eek: That's 1 HD movie
    Having said that I was downloading a 10 gig file today and stopped it for fear I'd go over imagines 20 gig limit
    I'll do the other half of it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bernardpower

I am deciding between Nova and Imagine in the Courtbrack area of Cork,any one have any imput?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

I am deciding between Nova and Imagine in the Courtbrack area of Cork,any one have any imput?

I left them for Imagine. Was with them for a few years but contention became an issue (slowing down to a crawl)so I left them. Didn't think much of their customer care lately, well one in particular. The same may happen with Imagine but so far so good. Pm me if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

TimHorton wrote: »
    And remenber to add your 3 number as a Payment Option on the Google Play Store and spend your €20/month there , So essentially your broadband is free. I have been doing this for over a year.

Did u not try to use the credit to buy psn or Xbox live credit like I do. Pays for games psn plus etc. Very handy. Free broadband as well.

alec76 wrote: »
    Nope, it is "unlimited" , I know good few people over 500Gb month( Pay as you Go Phone , €20 month top up)
    You are confusing it with Pay as you Go Mobile Broadband which is only 60gb.

It's basically a payg sim topped up by 20 each month and u get over 2000 gig which is in fact 2 terabytes if u check ur balance. There is fair usage but three don't enforce it.

• Advertisement

lfc2000 wrote: »
    It's basically a payg sim topped up by 20 each month and u get over 2000 gig which is in fact 2 terabytes if u check ur balance. There is fair usage but three don't enforce it.

Ah I was thinking of the phone deal, how does this one work? I see you say it works like a payg sim but does it work off a router?

Ah I was thinking of the phone deal, how does this one work? I see you say it works like a payg sim but does it work off a router?

Well it's a payg sim. I use mine in a 4g router but u could use it through a phone and use hotspot. Or through a router for what signal for three u have 3g or 4g. But make sure u top up before ur month is up to keep the 20 euro otherwise you will use the credit. I usually count on 30 days from top up.

Well it's a payg sim. I use mine in a 4g router but u could use it through a phone and use hotspot. Or through a router for what signal for three u have 3g or 4g. But make sure u top up before ur month is up to keep the 20 euro otherwise you will use the credit. I usually count on 30 days from top up.

I know my brother had 3 for a while but he changed back as the coverage was bad, i would have to probably use a phone and hotspot it and find the best signal spot in the room, best would be 3g in my area,

Imagine is in my area now and going live in a month. I've signed up paying the 100 euro and I know what is going to be said ( idiot, run a mile). My 4g signal goes to **** from 6 to 11 every evening. Surly not every imagine client has it bad after 6 weeks. From what I see, maybe I'm wrong here as I'm only on this now to find out , it's seems to me that the west of Ireland has the worst problems. Interested to know more before its too late.

I know my brother had 3 for a while but he changed back as the coverage was bad, i would have to probably use a phone and hotspot it and find the best signal spot in the room, best would be 3g in my area,

Is there no 4g within 10 miles of u. I know irishchris picks up 4g signal with an antenna from about 15 miles away. I pick mine up from 10 km away. 30mbs off peak but 3 to 7 during peak times.

Only 2gigs a day ? :eek: That's 1 HD movie
    Having said that I was downloading a 10 gig file today and stopped it for fear I'd go over imagines 20 gig limit
    I'll do the other half of it tomorrow

Jeez I could not last on 2 gig a day. Mine is unlimited or in reality 2,100 GB. Can't be doing with having to split a download between two days.

Speeds still excellent at peak time
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2371207559

Jeez I could not last on 2 gig a day. Mine is unlimited or in reality 2,100 GB. Can't be doing with having to split a download between two days.

Speeds still excellent at peak time
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2371207559

Well Chris. Joe here was talking to u yesterday. I see u cancelled. Ur speeds r brilliant at these times...lucky u. I just hope imagine r better for me than they were for u.

Imagine is in my area now and going live in a month. I've signed up paying the 100 euro and I know what is going to be said ( idiot, run a mile). My 4g signal goes to **** from 6 to 11 every evening. Surly not every imagine client has it bad after 6 weeks. From what I see, maybe I'm wrong here as I'm only on this now to find out , it's seems to me that the west of Ireland has the worst problems. Interested to know more before its too late.

There are some here with bad experiences and others,most in fact like me with positive experiences
    My download speed off a new mast(I've only the service a week though) is above 90 for most of the day
    I've max signal though from a line of sight near the mast

Quiet a few here have recorded speeds mostly between 20 and 40 even at peak over the last two months with few exceptions
    The Op of this thread has had it since February and is very happy

There is an 18 month contract but you can get out of that for a max of €101 even at the start
    I've good 4G from three here (usually 30mb +) yet I'm on wifi all week as it's 3 times faster

Well Chris. Joe here was talking to u yesterday. I see u cancelled. Ur speeds r brilliant at these times...lucky u. I just hope imagine r better for me than they were for u.

Hopefully speeds continue like this but they were when I was originally with them before I moved to imagine.
    Imagine can't be any worse for you than they were for me. Hopefully less connected in your area and you should be flying it with them.
    Cheers Joe for the advice about the Xbox credit, will save me a fortune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Hopefully speeds continue like this but they were when I was originally with them before I moved to imagine.
    Imagine can't be any worse for you than they were for me. Hopefully less connected in your area and you should be flying it with them.
    Cheers Joe for the advice about the Xbox credit, will save me a fortune!

Off topic but how do you add your phone number as payment method on Play Store?

Advertisement