Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Homes in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hollystown is barely Dublin and has no public transport or amenities besides the garage and golf club.
    I am not sure there were ever queues for any of the houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

They look like pretty nice homes alright. They are too far from public transport and quite close to Tyrrelstown also which is probably why they are quite cheap for the size of house that they are also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

digiman wrote: »
    They look like pretty nice homes alright. They are too far from public transport and quite close to Tyrrelstown also which is probably why they are quite cheap for the size of house that they are also.

Whats wrong with tyrrelstown. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It's not a particularly desirable area (house prices there reflect that) but each to his own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Wonder if Ruth and her friends will turn up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    It's not a particularly desirable area (house prices there reflect that) but each to his own I suppose.

Are the houses there lease hold ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Despite the drawbacks not badly priced it has to be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm sorry but there's no way I could live in an estate called Hollywoodrath! The houses are lovely though, and amenities/public transport are sure to develop (eventually).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Who teaches EAs/property journalists this guff?

"Starter homes with long term potential"

Kinda like:

"Suit owner occupier or investor alike"

So who doesnt it suit? People who want to own it without living there or renting it out who want to keep it for between 7 and 11 years?

If I was the EA Id take it to the next level:

"Bedroom suitable for sleeping, or for not sleeping *wink wink*"

"Toilet is gentle enough to remove your number 1s, but also has the muscle to really take care of business"

"Grass in garden will grow during sunshine. Or rain. Or both"

"Available with traditional painted walls or try our new wallpapered walls for a limited time only"

"This house is designed for two to six humans of varying size. But it would also make an ideal habitat if youre a polar bear"

"Within a few seconds you can get from the roof to planet earth via easy gravitational inertia (not recommended for small kids, large kids or indeed anyone other than maybe a cat".

Anyway, whats noticably absent from the puff piece is how far exactly it is from the bus stop, school, shop, Blanch, motorway etc, what parking is like what the cost of the management company is expected to be, what the BER is, what materials will be used, what the layout is, the size of the gardens, the finish, the expected completion date, the penalties (if any) for missing the completion date, whether there is social housing on site, whether it is leasehold/freehold, will they be gas and electric, do they allow satellite dishes or is one company granted a monopoly connection for phone etc.

Or is the above information, you know, not as important to buyers as the fact that the hype is quite hypey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Who teaches EAs/property journalists this guff?

(Snip of brevity)

Just woken up the wife breaking myself laughing thanks JS.

The one thing I wish my place had was a decent crapper in the main bathroom instead of the stupid small pretty thing the last lot installed. The courtesy flush in the middle of reading my National Geographic article is most unwelcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Anyway, whats noticably absent from the puff piece is how far exactly it is from the bus stop, school, shop, Blanch, motorway etc, what parking is like what the cost of the management company is expected to be, what the BER is, what materials will be used, what the layout is, the size of the gardens, the finish, the expected completion date, the penalties (if any) for missing the completion date, whether there is social housing on site, whether it is leasehold/freehold, will they be gas and electric, do they allow satellite dishes or is one company granted a monopoly connection for phone etc.

Or is the above information, you know, not as important to buyers as the fact that the hype is quite hypey!

In fairness, a lot of that stuff is on their website (2 private car parking spots, A3 rated, floor plans, the bus stop is nearly a mile away according to Google maps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Hollystown is barely Dublin and has no public transport or amenities besides the garage and golf club.
    I am not sure there were ever queues for any of the houses there.

It's closer to Tyrrelstown than Hollystown. But Hollystown is now served by Dublin Bus, a magnificent 2 40D's a day or something like that swing by the roundabout there.

digiman wrote: »
    MayoSalmon wrote: »

You don't seem to know much about the general area. There's 2 bus services within a 5 minute walk to the entrance of that new estate. And Tyrrelstown is quite a decent area, with pretty much all the amenities, and houses that go up for sale seem to sold pretty quickly at the moment.

They aren't particularly cheap for the house you're getting either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

rawn wrote: »
    I'm sorry but there's no way I could live in an estate called Hollywoodrath! The houses are lovely though, and amenities/public transport are sure to develop (eventually).

It's the name of the townland in the area, probably been called that for a couple of hundred years. The amenities are all close by, I can't see any being built within the estate when so many are close by already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Viewed them at the weekend, I didn't realise it was so early in the launch.

Heating is Gas, driveways are very large but I guess that's cos you will certainly need a car or two. Parking should be no problem anyways.

They have a Solar PV install on the roof but the agents don't seem to know much about that. I must read up myself really.

It's a very short distance from the various amenities at Tyrrelstown including a new looking school.

The 4 bed detatcheds don't seem particularly well thought out. They just made the downstairs rooms and hallways bigger. I would rather they had used the space a bit better.

Build quality was good, timber frame with brick cladding which is the norm these days for quality new builds.

I think if you live or work in the vicinity it would be a good idea but we found it a bit far from the city for our liking.

Also its in flight path of Dublin airport depending on day/winds. Was busy and fairly noticeable when we were there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

ThisRegard wrote:
    You don't seem to know much about the general area. There's 2 bus services within a 5 minute walk to the entrance of that new estate. And Tyrrelstown is quite a decent area, with pretty much all the amenities, and houses that go up for sale seem to sold pretty quickly at the moment.

I know the area very well actually. Tyrrelstown is not a great area however I guess it depends what your comparing it to when it comes to the rest of Dublin 15. It doesnt come close to Clonsilla, Carpenterstown, even Ongar if Im being honest. But like I said previously each to his own!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Viewed them at the weekend, I didn't realise it was so early in the launch.

Heating is Gas, driveways are very large but I guess that's cos you will certainly need a car or two. Parking should be no problem anyways.

They have a Solar PV install on the roof but the agents don't seem to know much about that. I must read up myself really.

It's a very short distance from the various amenities at Tyrrelstown including a new looking school.

The 4 bed detatcheds don't seem particularly well thought out. They just made the downstairs rooms and hallways bigger. I would rather they had used the space a bit better.

Build quality was good, timber frame with brick cladding which is the norm these days for quality new builds.

I think if you live or work in the vicinity it would be a good idea but we found it a bit far from the city for our liking.

Also its in flight path of Dublin airport depending on day/winds. Was busy and fairly noticeable when we were there..

This might be of interest regarding anyone buying a place with solar PV.

http://www.engineersireland.ie/groups/divisions/fire-and-safety/events/fire-safety-considerations-for-pv-solar-panels-on.aspx?cat=cpd

Advertisement