Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build sub €1000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I have put together the following parts, which I believe are pretty good, but there might be some things I need to change (I read some boards regarding Haswell and people are not too happy about it). Just need some advice on wether the following build is the best I can get for the price. I am going to use my old SSD's and HDD along with my old 500W power supply and my peripherals. I can buy a new PSU if this does not suffice, but the PSU calculators I used said it was fine. The PC will be used for gaming and video/picture processing. What do you think?

MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Intel 1150 ATX - €112.07

i7 4790K 4.00Ghz 1150 - €343.95

16GB G Skill TridentX DDR3 2133 CL9 - €90.41

MSI Geforce GTX 970 4096MB - €347.87

LC Power Gaming 971B Infiltrator Big Tower - €94.82

Total = €989.13.

That's one ugly case! Are you over clocking? If not have a look at the e3 xeons, pretty much the same as the non-k i7s without integrated graphics, tend to be a bit cheaper. Similar with the z97 motherboard if not over clocking, cheaper options with similar features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If not overclocking as above go with the Xeon, get a cheaper motherboard too. Also, the 2133mhz is probably the same price as 1600mhz, but without overclocking you will be limited to 1600mhz.

I also agree that the case is not great, LC make a lot of cheap and cheerful stuff don't they? It has a real early 2000's look to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yea I purposely chose the Z over H for overclocking capabilities. I definitely want to OC in the future, I don't want to be limited that way.

Ugly as sin, but i'm not too worried about the looks of the case, once it performs a good job with circulation and cable management. Nobody will see it, thinking of which, I hardly see it where it's situated :P The other option is this.

Are there any better performing cases below €120 that you know of?

Yea I purposely chose the Z over H for overclocking capabilities. I definitely want to OC in the future, I don't want to be limited that way.

Ugly as sin, but i'm not too worried about the looks of the case, once it performs a good job with circulation and cable management. Nobody will see it, thinking of which, I hardly see it where it's situated :P The other option is this.

Are there any better performing cases below €120 that you know of?

Not too hot on cases, but have the m-atx version of one of the fractal design define cases, fairly quiet as it has sound dampening material, temps seem fine, easy enough to build in, grommeted holes for routing cables, hard drive trays that pop out etc.

I see nanoxia deep silence cases and nzxt h440 recommended on here a number of times as well, but haven't used either.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Not too hot on cases, but have the m-atx version of one of the fractal design define cases, fairly quiet as it has sound dampening material, temps seem fine, easy enough to build in, grommeted holes for routing cables, hard drive trays that pop out etc.

I see nanoxia deep silence cases and nzxt h440 recommended on here a number of times as well, but haven't used either.

Nice one, I found this one here. Is it prettier? :P

• Advertisement

Nice one, I found this one here. Is it prettier? :P

Yes! I tend towards the plain in fairness, matter of personal taste! Though i am somewhat reminded of a fridge with all these cases with doors on the front covering fan intakes and disc drive bays!

Again, no experience with the nanoxia cases, but somebody who has one will hopefully pitch in with their opinion. The other case i have at the moment in a lian li

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OCing on the 4790K will yield very little performance gains in games. If I had a do over I'd go for a cheaper processor and board and go with a better GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

You'll be charged another €29.99 delivery for the case alone. Better to buy it separately from somewhere like Amazon (free delivery for anything over £25).

OCing on the 4790K will yield very little performance gains in games. If I had a do over I'd go for a cheaper processor and board and go with a better GPU.

What MB and CPU would you chose instead? The next GTP is the GTX 980 and it's at least €180 more expensive. I believe the increase in price grossly outweights the increase in performance.
    jamescd wrote: »
    You'll be charged another €29.99 delivery for the case alone. Better to buy it separately from somewhere like Amazon (free delivery for anything over £25).

Delivery charge is not an issue, thanks for the suggestion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What MB and CPU would you chose instead? The next GTP is the GTX 980 and it's at least €180 more expensive. I believe the increase in price grossly outweights the increase in performance.

An i5 non overclockable and the business version main board.

To be fair I probably wouldn't go beyond the 970 I was referring to my choice. I'd save the money, probably coming further down on the GPU or going no GPU until pascal/polaris arrives in the summer.

I've a bit of a soft spot for stupidly expensive cases and hookers so the money could also be spent there.

• Advertisement

An i5 non overclockable and the business version main board.

The most powerful i5 I could find Wass a 3.5Ghz. The i7 is overclockable to 4.4Ghz. I'd say it's closer to
    5Ghz though. That would effect the video editing right?

The other option is to go for a ddr4 system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The most powerful i5 I could find Wass a 3.5Ghz. The i7 is overclockable to 4.4Ghz. I'd say it's closer to
    5Ghz though. That would effect the video editing right?

The other option is to go for a ddr4 system.

The i7 turbo boosts to 4.4ghz, overclocks to a nice 4.7ghz on air without busting a gut - but you don't have a cooler picked out that would allow it.
    That plus the hyperthreading help massively with rendering times for files and effects.

That Nanoxia is great but the Fractal Design Define R5 is €108 on Amazon.co.uk at the moment if you want to shave €7 off & see that extra €30 mindfactory delivery charge vanish. About the price of a nice cooler for overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

The deep silence 5 is a really solid case. But **** that 30 euro delivery. R5 it as noted above.

Personally I'd go xeon. Because they are great price/performance and run themselves into the ground long before ****ing you over.

But your budget allows it and I understand you dig overclocking so the i7 canyon is a good choice.

Rig looks solid. I'd spring for the gtx970. Don't want to be sitting on a fine rig waiting for the new gpu offerings unless you have a card to tie you over. Sure when amd and nvidia new ones drop you can sell yours and upgrade for same difference as a gtx980 would cost you right now.

I am not 100% sure what the difference is between the Xeon and i7. On paper it looks like the i7 is a lot more powerful.

I don't mind about the price once it's about 1K. Delivery is also free for me, so that's not a big deal either ;)

I have a 660ti and an i5 2500K which I will be looking to move on. I could use the 660ti for the time being but I will only be anxious. I have been waiting a good while already for the new machine, I don't want to wait any longer :P

Forgot to mention, my current heat sync will fit the 1150 board/chip. It's a Scythe mugen 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I am not 100% sure what the difference is between the Xeon and i7. On paper it looks like the i7 is a lot more powerful.

I don't mind about the price once it's about 1K. Delivery is also free for me, so that's not a big deal either ;)

I have a 660ti and an i5 2500K which I will be looking to move on. I could use the 660ti for the time being but I will only be anxious. I have been waiting a good while already for the new machine, I don't want to wait any longer :P

Forgot to mention, my current heat sync will fit the 1150 board/chip. It's a Scythe mugen 3.

Xeon 1230 v3 is a basic non k i7. costs around 250. Has Hyper treading but no "igpu" or overclocking. Great for someone wanting i7 performance on a budget . Obviously not the ghz as the canyon but not many do.

You should get a fair enough price selling on your old rig. the 2500k is a good CPU and 660ti is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xeon 1230 v3 is a basic non k i7. costs around 250. Has Hyper treading but no "igpu" or overclocking. Great for someone wanting i7 performance on a budget . Obviously not the ghz as the canyon but not many do.

You should get a fair enough price selling on your old rig. the 2500k is a good CPU and 660ti is not bad.

Get Xeon 1231 v3 (3.4Ghz 4core/8HT) & pair with B85 chipset motherboard + nVidia GTX970.

Like I did :)

Advertisement