Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

Great to see that the place is being so well supported by locals and visitors alike. There will alway be a minority group of dissenters who will stay away for their own reasons. They are entitled to do that if they wish. It's a free Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Was in there during the week. Nearly took and hour to get served coffees. When they arrived they were a bit of a mess. Teething problems I'm sure. Hopefully they get it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Can't believe you guys are putting up with the long delays of service.

Even as a new start up anything longer than 5-10 minutes for coffee and I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Called in there last night. We were seated immediately in what was a busy period for them. Service was very quick and the fare served up, namely Rib Eye, Pasta and Cod and Chips was really good. A decent menu by all means but it's elevated bar food more so than an actual restaurant without it being an out and out bar; maybe it's not where you'll go for the match.

One or two young floor staff who were a wee bit clueless and took a few goes to get orders where they were wanted but hey, they'll get there. A decent beer list as well with plenty of craft, mainly in bottle form. I'll call up again when it settles down and see what it's like as a gargle house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any menus floating around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

wife went last night, and thought the food was very similar to DeBruns, which means disappointing. We used to go to 12th lock for food ahead of there every time.

Im going myself this weekend, i can snap a menu then.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Popped in yesterday evening for a bite to eat. Had the buttermilk chicken which was ok but a little dry. The chowder was tasty though and had lots of fish in it. Place looks well inside. Friendly staff and the service was good. I took some pics of the menus. pmfJAycYjpoEpff10j

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

KFC wings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

All the way from Kentucky too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

py2006 wrote: »
    KFC wings?

Korean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

They read like an eye test board

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lostkeys

I passed it last night at 11pm and all I can say is God Help the Neighbours the Noise was very bad

lostkeys wrote: »
    I passed it last night at 11pm and all I can say is God Help the Neighbours the Noise was very bad

Was there a band playing or was it customers talking/laughing loudly?

The Customers were outside in the new outdoor area Drinking so of course it was noisy what you have there is basically an outside Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The Customers were outside in the new outdoor area Drinking so of course it was noisy what you have there is basically an outside Bar

Good luck to them in Ireland!

Funny that because I passed by the place last night and there was little or no noise at all emanating from the premises. It's amazing how different people see things differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Was there earlier tonight.

Changes to the bar interior are cosmetic only. Same basic layout. Bar menu is pretty uninspiring but food was grand. Service is a bit chaotic, a lot of staff but all pretty inexperienced I'd say. Just teething problems hopefully.

Will be more interested in the new seafood restaurant and hotel rooms, at the moment there's not much to get excited about compared to the previous incarnation.

They have a better TV setup so should be good for matches, which was a flaw in the old place.

They were doing great business tonight anyway.

Changes to the bar interior are cosmetic only. Same basic layout. Bar menu is pretty uninspiring but food was grand. Service is a bit chaotic, a lot of staff but all pretty inexperienced I'd say. Just teething problems hopefully.

Will be more interested in the new seafood restaurant and hotel rooms, at the moment there's not much to get excited about compared to the previous incarnation.

They have a better TV setup so should be good for matches, which was a flaw in the old place.

There is a serious campaign going on against this place by a small number of individuals in the immediate vicinity of the 12th Lock. It is very sinister and is similar to the campaign against the medical centre at the junction of River Road / Main Street which is just now being completed having lost over 15 months because of what can only be described as a complete miscarriage of justice. Allegations that the building which fell down during construction was in some way a protected structure. It never was a protected structure. The armchair experts caused the development to be delayed for over a year. This kind of thing is going on all over Ireland right now. A stop needs to be put to it as a matter of urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jesus Christ, how is your reply in any way relevant to the post you quoted? You're still working the PR campaign.

Well It seems no matter what anyone posts Estiril seems to get the hump

I posted re Fri night night noise and again he posted to the opposite There were a lot of people drinking outside at 11pm on Fri night and of course it was noisy as at that time people were getting boisterous how could it not be noisy with people drinking in an outdoor area and as I said I would not like to live near it if that continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

esteril wrote: »
    There is a serious campaign going on against this place by a small number of individuals in the immediate vicinity

Sounds fascinating, what soap opera is this storyline from again?

I was there last night as well, had a great night and will be going back.

The place was hopping but no problem getting a table.

The food was very good, nothing special except the KFC wings which you have to try if there, they are the best Iv'e had.

The doors on the conservatory area were closed last night so maybe that is why the place was quite.

The noise issue if there is one is just talking from customers, if this is a problem then I don't know what to say to you, you must live a charmed life.

The same noise will be heard from any pub, some people are just making this an issue which it's not.

Well if you saw I said it was noisy specifically because there were lots of people drinking in the outside area and you said last night the doors were closed to the outside area so of course it was less

The outside area is the smoking area so about 6 or 8 people at any given time would be out there. last night was a bit cool so the doors were closed and probably will be that way until next summer.

The sound of people having a good time is not a problem I would have, all houses have good windows and doors these days so you wouldn't hear anything at home, storm in a tea cup.

Not too sure about that the outside area on friday night was definitely not only the smoking area there were a lot of people out there drinking and being served out there completely different scenario to as you say 6 or 8 people out smoking

Apart from the main part of the bar/restaurant there is a very large conservatory that the roof can be rolled back in summer time which would be part of the garden.

This is closed in at the moment due to weather/time of year, if this was opened up, sure it would be louder but still just people chatting,laughing what's the problem?

Traffic noise would be about the same. If you live in the city what do you expect.

It's not the sort of place you are going to get a bad crowd if they run it properly.

Last night it was mainly 30 somethings +, all doing well I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

esteril is pretty clearly personally involved with the 12th lock in some capacity while pretending not to be, isn't that against boards.ie's rules

Septictank
    "Apart from the main part of the bar/restaurant there is a very large conservatory that the roof can be rolled back in summer time which would be part of the garden.

This is closed in at the moment due to weather/time of year, if this was opened up, sure it would be louder but still just people chatting,laughing what's the problem?

Traffic noise would be about the same. If you live in the city what do you expect.

It's not the sort of place you are going to get a bad crowd if they run it properly.

Last night it was mainly 30 somethings +, all doing well I would say."

Ok but as i said people drinking in the Garden in the open air is very different to inside the conservatory and its not in the city its in a residential area as the zoning for that area will confirm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That food menu is so boring.
    Steak [x]
    Burger and chips [x]
    Fish and chips [x]

etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

To be fair, though there's been plenty of development on the site in complete disregard for the local authority, the twelfth lock always did have an outside dining area so I wouldn't imagine noise pollution will have increased in any capacity, it's location is it's greatest asset, to not utilise the outside area would have been an incredible oversight.

Advertisement