Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

esteril wrote: »
    There is a serious campaign going on against this place by a small number of individuals in the immediate vicinity of the 12th Lock. It is very sinister and is similar to the campaign against the medical centre at the junction of River Road / Main Street which is just now being completed having lost over 15 months because of what can only be described as a complete miscarriage of justice. Allegations that the building which fell down during construction was in some way a protected structure. It never was a protected structure. The armchair experts caused the development to be delayed for over a year. This kind of thing is going on all over Ireland right now. A stop needs to be put to it as a matter of urgency.

At the risk of getting the thread locked again which I hope does not happen I just have to reply to the above

The Birmingham 6 The Guilford 4 now they were miscarriages of justice
    But being taken to task for failing to comply with the planning legislation well hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Right, glad it's open. Fed up with the sh1te in this thread. Outta here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is a serious campaign going on against this place by a small number of individuals in the immediate vicinity of the 12th Lock. It is very sinister and is similar to the campaign against the medical centre at the junction of River Road / Main Street which is just now being completed having lost over 15 months because of what can only be described as a complete miscarriage of justice. Allegations that the building which fell down during construction was in some way a protected structure. It never was a protected structure. The armchair experts caused the development to be delayed for over a year. This kind of thing is going on all over Ireland right now. A stop needs to be put to it as a matter of urgency.

You've been given plenty of leeway but pretty much everything you've posted in this thread seems to be nonsense designed to rile people up. Do not post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

went last night. Pints are good (was drinking 5 lamps). Bar service is also good. Table service needs time to bed in.

Menu very uninspiring. Basic stuff i expected from DeBruns.

Tried KFC wings. Not that impressed.

wife was happier about it this time, she thought food was better than mid week. Food service was fine too, no long wait.

its not the old 12th lock, and i doubt ill be there as much as i used to be.

Getting Mixed reviews on FB

https://www.facebook.com/The12thLock/reviews/

Good to see the Owner posting 5 Star reviews for it I see Castello Bruno Posted a 5 star review Are both of them not owned by the same people a bit sneaky that reviewing yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

xl500 wrote: »

Good to see the Owner posting 5 Star reviews for it I see Castello Bruno Posted a 5 star review Are both of them not owned by the same people a bit sneaky that reviewing yourself

All companies do it - They also took down any negative post before it opened or in the first few days.

It's almost the same report from anyone I speak to - Like the layout, like the drink - food service terrible and food average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

xl500 wrote: »

Not really sneaky when anyone can see that it was Castello Bruno who left it.

Time to move on lads. I thought everyone was delighted to see it re-opening?

Not really sneaky when anyone can see that it was Castello Bruno who left it.

Time to move on lads. I thought everyone was delighted to see it re-opening?

Maybe but not everyone would know They were the same chain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

I thought everyone was delighted to see it re-opening?

Not everyone, and a lot of people loved the food from before and are very disappointed in the food now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm only waiting to hear how the breakfasts are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Not everyone, and a lot of people loved the food from before and are very disappointed in the food now.

Have yet to try the 12th Lock under the new regime and I do look forward to visiting it soon.
    I did enjoy the food early on in its previous existence. However about 2 years before it closed both the service and quality of the food been offering became fairly average, to send it back to the kitchen and hope it comes back better second time around. After this happened a number of times we just stopped going.

Not everyone,

Yes, that much is abundantly clear.
    and a lot of people loved the food from before and are very disappointed in the food now.

I think it's very harsh to judge a restaurant on its opening few weeks. There will always be teething problems in the kitchen, the service, even the menu itself.

I'll go back in a few weeks and I'd say it will be much improved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes, that much is abundantly clear.

I think it's very harsh to judge a restaurant on its opening few weeks. There will always be teething problems in the kitchen, the service, even the menu itself.

I'll go back in a few weeks and I'd say it will be much improved.

True and one of the reasons I will very rarely visit a restaurant before it's been open a month or so. It takes a while to find their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Went there today and found it disappointing. For a Resturant that is marketing themselves as a "fish" Resturant there was very little fish on the menu. Service was terrible,took over an hour for our order due to a mixup with our order by untrained staff. No kids menu was strange also for a place full of families on a Sunday afternoon. Complained a number of times about the service and in fairness to the manager at the last moment of paying the bill gave us a substantial discount. Will leave it a few months to see if things improve

Armonline wrote: »
    Went there today and found it disappointing. For a Resturant that is marketing themselves as a "fish" Resturant there was very little fish on the menu. Service was terrible,took over an hour for our order due to a mixup with our order by untrained staff. No kids menu was strange also for a place full of families on a Sunday afternoon. Complained a number of times about the service and in fairness to the manager at the last moment of paying the bill gave us a substantial discount. Will leave it a few months to see if things improve

The fish restaurant is not open yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Another month or so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I went last night for some food to check it out. Sunday night and was busier than most would be on a Sunday evening. Ordered a burger and came out in 10 mins. Burger and fries were hot, burger was nice size and tasty. Service was good with plenty of staff and fairly attentive. No complaints. It was only a burger but will be back to try again at some stage as a good starting point from my view. Could have been slightly better but its a burger in a pub so I dont set the highest of expectations for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

The place seems to be busy every night of the week. People voting with their feet despite all the adverse commentary from a tiny minority on this site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The place seems to be busy every night of the week. People voting with their feet despite all the adverse commentary from a tiny minority on this site.

You were warned, take a couple of days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Went today at 3pm. Staff are really nice.
    Ordered kids food first to get a head start all great.
    Our order took a little longer. Grand didn't mind as feeding little fella and watching the game.
    Ordered beer from the menu. Both beers I order weren't in stock. But took easily 20 mins to tell me this.
    Almost finished food before getting a beer. It was lashing out so I decided to get a beer anyway and went to the bar myswlf.

Then got wrongly charged for a beer they never
    had in stock.

A little expensive in my mind for above grade pub grub. Food was good. But I won't return again for those prices.
    Most of the beer on their menu they didn't have.
    It's a lovely setting so shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Why do I not find it surprising you're there every night of the week? Still maintaining you're not involved with this endeavour?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Why do I not find it surprising you're there every night of the week? Still maintaining you're not involved with this endeavour?
    Let's stay on topic here. Esteril has been banned from the thread so wont respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Gaspode wrote: »
    Let's stay on topic here. Esteril has been banned from the thread so wont respond.

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I was there last Saturday night. There was a good crowd but I wouldn't say it was packed.

The wait staff are lovely and friendly but woefully undertrained and service is very, very slow. E.g. brought to the table but not asked if we wanted drinks, given menus but no one came back to take an order, drinks took over 20 mins to arrive (beers and water.) We asked for a jug of water and told they don't do that, just glasses, and to just ask when we wanted another one! Good luck with that because the staff don't come back to you, taking an order for dessert but not clearing the mains plates... The food we had was really just average pub grub (two different burgers, a pasta dish and a spicy meat dish I can't remember the name of!) Everything was just 'OK'.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back but if I was really, really stuck for dinner... maybe I'd go. I dunno.

The toilets are really clean and better located than the old incarnation.

Is it just me or do all the restaurants this man owns have the same issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are they copying the weatherspoons model and hiring people with no experience or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I liked the place before, nice environment in a good location, but the food wasn't anything special.

I was in there yesterday and I was surprised that the food was way better than before. We were left waiting a bit, but nothing too bad. The weather was terrible, so maybe it wasn't as busy as it might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Was there yesterday. Better than last time....but that wouldn't be hard. Service was better but again that wouldn't be hard. Menu not a lot of choice though. Also didn't like that when we requested a more secluded table were practically in middle of the floor as these tables were kept for families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are they doing a breakfast menu yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Went over the weekend. The place is nice and it was clean. The staff are really poor, took ages to give us menus and take the order and then over 40mins gap between our starters and mains with no word of an apology. Even when we asked about the food there was no update. The food was ok but had nothing special to it.
    The price of the food was too high for the standard. If they are going to charge those prices the food and service should be far better.

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    Went over the weekend. The place is nice and it was clean. The staff are really poor, took ages to give us menus and take the order and then over 40mins gap between our starters and mains with no word of an apology. Even when we asked about the food there was no update. The food was ok but had nothing special to it.
    The price of the food was too high for the standard. If they are going to charge those prices the food and service should be far better.

Sounds pretty much exactly how I found the previous incarnation of the place. I hope for their sake it's just teething issues and not what can be expected for good.

Advertisement