Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

RasTa wrote: »
    Are they copying the weatherspoons model and hiring people with no experience or something?

Probably just a reflection of how hard it is to get experienced wait staff, especially when you need a whole heap of them all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Probably just a reflection of how hard it is to get experienced wait staff, especially when you need a whole heap of them all at once.

My guess would be its probably cheaper. I Definitely got a "weatherspoon" feel off it when I visited in the first week when it opened. All the staff looked like a mix of teenager/college students - not that I have an issue with the employment of them, its great to see, but takes away from the overall experience unfortunately.

Either way I will be back, but most probably just for drinks as its a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

All staff especially inexperienced members will reflect the training, or lack of that they have received.

I know several young people working between the 12th lock and one of the owner's other establishments. These girls all had zero experience.

The owner could have easily got them trained up on the basics at one of his other places before throwing them in the deep end at the 12th lock, imo.

These are all fair points but not really related to what RasTa asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

These are all fair points but not really related to what RasTa asked.

I was not offering a solution, just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

RasTa wrote: »
    Are they copying the weatherspoons model and hiring people with no experience or something?

I think you will find that the Wetherspoons model is unique. There are no trained Chefs involved at all. The process involves the re-heating of ready made meals of the type you would get in Marks & Spencer. To my knowledge there is nobody else coping this model in Ireland. If anybody posting here (including Moderators) has any evidence to the contrary they should state it here. The said Moderators are quite happy to allow such biased commentary be posted on Boards.ie without a shred of evidence but yet they will suspend a contributor for making a perfectly reasonable observation because it is not in line with their viewpoint. I know they are amateurs but there must be some limitation on the "home town decision mentality" which pervades this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

esteril wrote: »
    I think you will find that ..
    Which part of do not post in this thread did you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

AlanG wrote: »
    Went over the weekend. The place is nice and it was clean. The staff are really poor, took ages to give us menus and take the order and then over 40mins gap between our starters and mains with no word of an apology. Even when we asked about the food there was no update. The food was ok but had nothing special to it.
    The price of the food was too high for the standard. If they are going to charge those prices the food and service should be far better.

Was there on the 2nd night it was open I think, I like the look of the place but echo what everyone has said about the service. It needs serious improvement, I've been in DeBruns quite a lot and really like it. I think the food there is excellent and it's usually the same staff there all the time who are really good.
    Hopefully they can iron out the hickups quickly because the poor service will be all people will talk about it so it needs to be sorted fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

esteril wrote: »
    I think you will find that the Wetherspoons model is unique. There are no trained Chefs involved at all.

I know some chef's working in the Blanch one and they have worked in kitchen's before.

Anyway learn to take some feedback, this everything is awesome stance is no way to run a business, unless it's to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Just back from the 12th Lock.

The place was packed. Had a very enjoyable meal. Food was excellent. Staff were attentive. The toilets are nearer. Teething issues now solved.

I'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think I saw somewhere they are now doing breakfasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Is there still no smoking in what used to be the smoking area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Is there still no smoking in what used to be the smoking area?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

beauf wrote: »

Yes, I went down to try it out. I had an omelette and my friend had the full breakfast or whatever it's called.

Lovely food, good service, no complaints.

Well maybe just one complaint, they don't do hash browns. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

Was down there Sunday evening-- had curry/ prawns and while the portion size might have been a "little" more generous it was very very good, service was excellent and all around a very satisfactory experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Went to the Fish part of the restaurant last night. It's around to the left as you going the front door /reception area. Think it was the old function room in its previous life.

Food was very good. You can get beers from the the bar if they don't have them on that side.

Good choice of seafood.

A little over priced I thought as most mains were between 21 to 30 but I know that's due to value of the fish etc. Also could have been a bit more in the side dishes. Tiny complaint but nothing too bad.

Food was very tasty. Staff were good and attentive and different to the bar.

I'd go again no problem. It's nice to have fresh fish locally .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

beauf wrote: »

That's all I used ever go for. I must go try.

Went for dinner in the bar on Friday. The food is what is it is, bar food - fish and chips, burger etc - but it was perfectly fine, arrived quickly. Service is much improved from my last visit so things are looking good.

Stuck my head into the 'Fish' restaurant, they've done a nice job on it, menu is nothing sensational but if they're getting good quality fish they could be on to a winner.

(And yes, they are doing breakfast)

... and still no sign of a planning retention application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Was in the bar for drinks about 9:30on Saturday, It was a lot quieter than I expected, only about half the tables were occupied. Even still we were asked to wait to be seated which was a bit off putting. I asked the server what beers they had and he didn't know so went off to find out. I then asked what diet minerals they had and he had to go off again to find out. Drink service was quick enough but we did have to ask for coasters / beer mats which was a bit poor. Once the kitchen closed they started bringing out bags of rubbish and crates of things from the kitchen out through the bar which seemed bizarre and very unprofessional. I hope it is not standard practice.
    Had a look at the fish menu and it looked good, the room for the restaurant looked pretty nice also so will definitely try it out some time. The prices seemed ok and thankfully they avoided the annoying practice of pricing all sides separately form the main.
    The toilets were clean and well looked after and their location is much improved.
    No one in my group though the new decor in the bar was an improvement although I would imagine that during the day it may be nicer. The homeliness of the place seems to be gone. Overall i thought it was pretty good and the fish restaurant will be a good addition to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

... and still no sign of a planning retention application

At Council Meeting Today 05/01/2017 which can be watched online for anyone thats interested An Enforcement Has been issued to the owner for the removal of 6 unauthorised Structures These were all constructed without Permission and are now unauthorised

As I said from the start This Person showed complete contempt for the Planning System which is there for the Good of All and also completely ignored neighbours and all previous conditions attached to this site but thats the type of stuff thats always done and people get away with it but hopefully The Planners will force him to comply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Are all 6 at the 12th Lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

ThisRegard wrote: »

I haven't had time to watch the council meeting yet, but you can find it at: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/your-council/council-meetings/watchcouncilmeetingsonline/

ThisRegard wrote: »

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

If proper planning procedures were followed from the outset would it be a straight forward approval?

AGC wrote: »
    If proper planning procedures were followed from the outset would it be a straight forward approval?

No An Enforcment Order has issued for removal of unauthorised Structures

Please Look at Meeting and you will see there was A Complete disregard for as you say Proper Planning Procedures

xl500 wrote: »
    No An Enforcment Order has issued for removal of unauthorised Structures

Please Look at Meeting and you will see there was A Complete disregard for as you say Proper Planning Procedures

I asked IF and from the outset.

All I am looking for is that if proper procedures were followed would, in a hypothetical situation, planning have been given for the structures which have now to be removed?

I can't view the meeting.

AGC wrote: »
    I asked IF and from the outset.

All I am looking for is that if proper procedures were followed would, in a hypothetical situation, planning have been given for the structures which have now to be removed?

I can't view the meeting.

Well if Planning Procedures were followed then a Proper Planning Application would have been lodged and All interested parties would have an opportunity to consider and either lodge an objection or not

As to the possibility of Permission being granted if that was done I am Afraid we dont know as Until all interested parties give their opinions neither I or anyone Else can make that judgement That is the whole purpose of Planning

• Advertisement

xl500 wrote: »
    Well if Planning Procedures were followed then a Proper Planning Application would have been lodged and All interested parties would have an opportunity to consider and either lodge an objection or not

As to the possibility of Permission being granted if that was done I am Afraid we dont know as Until all interested parties give their opinions neither I or anyone Else can make that judgement That is the whole purpose of Planning

Grand - You won't humour me!

I live close to the 12th lock and the changes that were made have made zero difference to local residents and IMO would not have caused an issue with any local resident (with the exception of the stupid sign on the bridge) if proper permission was applied for.

For what should have been a simple process he has made a c**k up.

Advertisement