Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american cheque - addressed to child with no bank account

• 08-02-2016 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭

We recently received a cheque from a relation in America addressed to our new born child, so I'm unsure how to go about lodging it.
    We didn't setup a bank account for the child, but have opened a post office account in her name.
    Our local post office say they can't accept it, so we are stuck.

Is there a way of lodging this cheque?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

paulbok wrote: »
    We recently received a cheque from a relation in America addressed to our new born child, so I'm unsure how to go about lodging it.
    We didn't setup a bank account for the child, but have opened a post office account in her name.
    Our local post office say they can't accept it, so we are stuck.

Is there a way of lodging this cheque?

Open an account for the child?

Before you do that, ask the bank the cost of lodging the cheque and check if us more that the amount of the cheque...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You might be able to open a $US dollar acc with your bank, I have a $US and Aus$ and £ acc in my local TSB. It's been handy when I get checks from relatives, I just wait for them to clear and then either withdraw for travels or convert to € using an online broker like currencyfair.

It's been a while since I last did this so don't know what the current regime is like.

Advertisement