Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query Forest Hill, Carrigaline, Co. Cork

Options
  • 08-02-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys,

just wondering if somehow here has experience with the houses in Forest Hill, Carrigaline - I am particular interested in your opinion on the build quality. We are looking to buy a house there but my father-in-law who is an Engineer in Germany advised us not to buy any of those houses as the build quality (compared to Germany) is very poor. As I don't have much experience with build quality in Ireland I am wondering how the quality is compared to other new estates here in Cork.

I am planning to schedule a few house visits but still interested in your opinions.

Thanks,
    Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

rmoritz wrote: »
    Hi guys,

just wondering if somehow here has experience with the houses in Forest Hill, Carrigaline - I am particular interested in your opinion on the build quality. We are looking to buy a house there but my father-in-law who is an Engineer in Germany advised us not to buy any of those houses as the build quality (compared to Germany) is very poor. As I don't have much experience with build quality in Ireland I am wondering how the quality is compared to other new estates here in Cork.

I am planning to schedule a few house visits but still interested in your opinions.

Thanks,
    Robert

Might be better off posting on the website www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com - you may get a larger response there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sbryf

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Hi I'm living here and have had no problems with build quality. No issues on snagging and the finish is of very good quality. We have just moved in and did a lot of homework before putting the deposit down and did not get any bad feedback at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swirley

Hi
    We are thinking of buying here too, they look good. Neither of us are from the area so I am wondering if they are good value for the area - the detached ones are 410,000 which seems expensive.
    Is Carrigaline a good town to live in? I have heard schools are overpopulated but it is only 15-20 mins from cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

swirley wrote: »
    Hi
    We are thinking of buying here too, they look good. Neither of us are from the area so I am wondering if they are good value for the area - the detached ones are 410,000 which seems expensive.
    Is Carrigaline a good town to live in? I have heard schools are overpopulated but it is only 15-20 mins from cork.

Rent there for a while before you buy. Buying somewhere you don't know is a huge gamble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Forest hill is one of the better estates in Carrigaline, I don't know what the build quality is like in Germany but forest hill has been slowly developed by the same builder over the last decade and the residents there are very happy with the design, build and quality, I live in Carrigaline but not in that estate, however I have friends living there and they are very happy.

Thanks guys for your feedback.

swirley wrote: »
    Hi
    I am living in Carrigaline now for 2 years (renting). I don't have any kids yet so can't share any experiences on schools etc. However, I am quite happy with the town itself. The location is very good (if you like water) - only a few minutes to Crosshaven, Currabinny, Fountainstown and Myrtleville. Kinsale is actually also quite close. If you have a dog or just like to go for a walk / jogging there are also lots of options like e.g. Currabinny Woods or the old Crosshaven railway track. Carrigaline has also quite a few good restaurants, shops (Lidl, Dunnes, Supervalu, ...) and takeaways. In addition, Carrigaline is - especially the main areas - well maintained - just recently awarded with a silver tidy towns award. Forest Hill is in walking distance to the Main Street - should not take you longer then 10/15 minutes but the foot path could be better. I personally do not commute to the city - I work in Ringaskiddy which takes me only 10 minutes from where I live - I suppose from Forest Hill that might increase to maybe 15 minutes. I know a few people who are commuting to the city and this is really depending on when you would need to leave / be at work. It could be anything between 20-40 minutes. If you need to commute to Cork City it might be worth to wait to see how the houses in Shannon Park are getting on. I guess that construction might start right after the houses in Forest Hill are finished as from what I read it is also Astra who will be building thoses houses. However, they are a little bit more outside Carrigaline town. I suggest you try this out. In terms of price: it is what it is - the prices for rent and houses are still increasing in Carrigaline. But they are below or similar to other estates in in the south of Cork City. I find that estates on the north side of Cork City are a little bit cheaper and might offer you additional benefits - like underfloor heating in Fernwood, Glanmire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I meant to say when I first posted the builders are really accommodating in relation to making changes in the layout of inside of the house. We are in a 5 bed and changed the ceiling in the kitchen to vaulted and only had to pay for the velux windows, we also changed the layout of the bedrooms on the first floor at no extra cost. Any little snags were dealt with really quickly. The builder is a very decent man to deal with. We came from a large estate in rochestown and the attitude of the builder there v here and the quality of the house we came from is a world apart.
    I can't say much about carrigaline as I am still doing my bits and pieces in Douglas. Its about 10 o 15 minutes to there so not too bad. If I leave carrigaline at 8.15 am I make the kids school in rochestown by 8.30. Traffic doesn't really affect me as I'm on school runs but husbands commute time is much longer but we are very happy with this house so it's worth it. Park is nice and near and it's a lovely park too. We also like the access to the crosshaven walkway.

Advertisement