Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up coming Donegal election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

L1011 wrote: »
    You can terminate your preference whenever you want. Very last cannot become effective but second last could and I doubt you're likely to want them much either!

True. But the vote will still be allocated as part of the surplus, will it not?

I like to choose which Politician I want to ensure gets no chance of any preference from me.

After watching the candidates speaking on RTE just before 12 noon today, that will be Joe McHugh, this time around. With Pat the Cope directly above that.(Last time around, the Cope had the privilege of being bottom of the list!:D)

Joe McHugh nearly had steam coming out of my ears when he assured us that he would fight for Health services in the County.:mad:
    Does he think no-one has heard of the plans to downgrade the Nursing homes?

Pat the Cope made me nearly as angry when he came out with a spiel about how he has served the County well, for 35? years!(or words to that effect).
    Is that why we are so lacking in Employment, Infrastructure, and Health services, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Votes with no further preferences go to a non transferrable pile. You can end up voting for someone unintended if you vote down the card. 9th preferences have come in to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

opiniated wrote: »
    Pat the Cope made me nearly as angry when he came out with a spiel about how he has served the County well, for 35? years!(or words to that effect).
    Is that why we are so lacking in Employment, Infrastructure, and Health services, then?

great point wish id thought of that when the copes canvassers were round last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Tim Jackson will get my last preference after voting all the way down the paper as he is (or was) Youth Defence.

Meh, most parties want another abortion vote.
    I'm not worried about 1 person I can vote against myself.

retalivity wrote: »
    One vote for jackson is one too many

I'll be giving him one too many, then!:D:D

Youth defense are not to my taste, but I'm unashamedly pro-life, and he's the only candidate I know that I can be sure will vote against repealing the 8th, without having any clear idea what will replace it, legally.
    Votes with no further preferences go to a non transferrable pile. You can end up voting for someone unintended if you vote down the card. 9th preferences have come in to play!

True. But there are 16 candidates, so I think giving someone a 16th preference should ensure they don't get any help from me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Some good debate on here today folks!

great point wish id thought of that when the copes canvassers were round last week

I missed the man himself when he was around, unfortunately!

I'd have enjoyed making him squirm!
    Mind you, I haven't clapped eyes on him since I tried to get him to say which way he was going to vote for the proposed abortion reform in the 90s! The best I got was him trying to avoid giving an answer, then scurrying, hurrying down the path!:D

I would understand it if I'd gone on a rant, but I was actually unfailingly polite!:confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Youth defense are not to my taste, but I'm unashamedly pro-life, and he's the only candidate I know that I can be sure will vote against repealing the 8th, without having any clear idea what will replace it, legally.

Only the people can repeal the 8th in a referendum. All he can vote against (if elected) is giving them that opportunity.
    Any TD voting to allow a referendum is NOT voting to repeal the 8th. That cannot happen in a Dáil vote.
    Candidates, on both sides of the argument, are not making this clear.

Where are the candidates hiding? I have yet to see one and I'm not hiding under a bush. Nobody was outside our local church, which is a first on the Sunday before an election. There have been two canvassers to the door, and one of them didn't even knock, just pushed in a leaflet. Others are telling me the same thing. They have their points ready and nobody to put them to. Is there an 'avoid' list shared by all parties of voters who are known to ask troublesome questions?

echo beach wrote: »
    Only the people can repeal the 8th in a referendum. All he can vote against (if elected) is giving them that opportunity.
    Any TD voting to allow a referendum is NOT voting to repeal the 8th. That cannot happen in a Dáil vote.
    Candidates, on both sides of the argument, are not making this clear.

Where are the candidates hiding? I have yet to see one and I'm not hiding under a bush. Nobody was outside our local church, which is a first on the Sunday before an election. There have been two canvassers to the door, and one of them didn't even knock, just pushed in a leaflet. Others are telling me the same thing. They have their points ready and nobody to put them to. Is there an 'avoid' list shared by all parties of voters who are known to ask troublesome questions?

Fair point. On the other hand, if elected (unlikely?), he would be a genuine pro-life voice in the Dáil, and one not subject to any party whip - which is better again, imo.

I've been asking myself the same question.
    I've had three Politicians at my door. Pat the Cope - missed him!
    Pearse Doherty - happy to engage on questions re: migrant crisies.
    Dessie Shields - handed a leaflet to my daughter before I got to the door.
    Tim Jackson was down canvassing after mass one week, in fairness - and I'm a long way from his home base!

I haven't even received election leaflets from half the candidates!

It looks like they are nearly all canvassing their "home" areas, or else they are in hiding?
    It doesn't make it easy to choose a candidate, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

I saw no candidate or anyone canvassing for them yet at home or out and about. I got a Joe Mc Hugh and Thomas Pringle leaflet in the post. Only a handful of days left of canvassing and I didn't get to nicely question any one yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

After Charlie McConalogue's team inexplicably drove in then drove out of my street last week, I had some friendly local Fine Gaelers yesterday.

Can't say was there a canvass at Mass or not as my Dad is ill. Saw a poster in Muff for one of the water charge independents - he's a bit of a ringer for Ming!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still no sign of my polling card, anyone got theirs yet?

No.

No-one in my house has received theirs, either.

Yip I got mine. They arrived last Thursday I think

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    Still no sign of my polling card, anyone got theirs yet?
    No.

No-one in my house has received theirs, either.
    You should check the online register here and if you are on it and still havent received your polling cards then you need to ring the Council about this ... 074-9153900

muffler wrote: »
    You should check the online register here and if you are on it and still havent received your polling cards then you need to ring the Council about this ... 074-9153900

Beastly thing doesn't recognise either the townland, or the eircode - and I've been voting from this address for 25 years!:eek:

Ah! I found it.

For anyone searching, it doesn't recognise the eircode (unsurprisingly), and the townland is in Irish.(as are villages and towns!)

If you're registered the polling card isn't required

If you're registered the polling card isn't required
    True but you then need to bring ID with you.

muffler wrote: »
    True but you then need to bring ID with you.

You still need (less, admittedly) ID with the polling card!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ok, they arrived in today's post.

To be honest, I didn't know you could vote without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If you have been getting addressed election literature then your name is on the register and you can vote with or without a polling card. If you haven't then you aren't registered you have left it too late to do anything about it.
    The polling card is not ID but if you get one try to bring it along as it makes easier for polling staff to find you on the register and keeps the queue moving. You should also bring some form of ID, it says on the card what is acceptable, although in rural areas or if you have been voting at the same booth for some time they will probably recognise you and not ask for it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I guess canvassars must call to my house during the day when I'm at work. Though the doorbell did ring yesterday when I was upstairs, and a Jackson flyer was left in the letterbox.

Maybe there'll be more activity during this week in the final run-up...

At the minute this is my vote
    (1) McHugh
    (2) Pringle
    (3) Shields
    (4) Harte
    (5) Kennedy

byte wrote: »
    I guess canvassars must call to my house during the day when I'm at work. Though the doorbell did ring yesterday when I was upstairs, and a Jackson flyer was left in the letterbox.

Maybe there'll be more activity during this week in the final run-up...

There has been someone in my house, at all times, for the last three weeks. A total of 3 lots of canvassers have called.

(I think they're in hiding!:D:D)

There has been someone in my house, at all times, for the last three weeks. A total of 3 lots of canvassers have called.

(I think they're in hiding!:D:D)

This has been a much more low key election on this side of Inishowen than the locals/Euros in 2014. Curious.

Our polling cards finally arrived today.
    The postman was also about two hours late, so there must be a lot of polling cards in todays mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Our polling cards finally arrived today.
    The postman was also about two hours late, so there must be a lot of polling cards in todays mail.
    My polling card arrived yesterday, too. Agree about distinct lack of callers to door, but that's no loss, in my view! Find it hard to take any of them seriously! Tempted to vote Green (there is a candidate, isn't there?). My wife & kids always scoff when I've done it before!
    Being a bit idealist, of course!
    Detest 'parish pump' politics.
    ;)

mgkelly wrote: »
    Tempted to vote Green (there is a candidate, isn't there?)
    Yup, the greens have one candidate, Paula Flanagan. Who she is or why anyone would vote for her is beyond me....thats just a personal opinion.

mgkelly wrote: »
    My wife & kids always scoff when I've done it before!
    Smart wife and kids you have ;)

A full list of the runners and riders can be seen here in the Irish Times together with some observations by their journalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Billydoc wrote: »
    At the minute this is my vote
    (1) McHugh
    (2) Pringle
    (3) Shields
    (4) Harte
    (5) Kennedy

McHugh - no vote (FG)
    Harte - no vote (FG)
    Kennedy - no vote (supported a motion for due process on John O'Donnell)

• Advertisement

1. Harte
    2. McHugh
    3. McGarvey
    4. Kennedy and I'll stop there. No FG/FF coalition for me.

If Labour and the SocDems had ran candidates it would be different, and FF should be left nowhere near power for another two terms at least, if not for good.

Advertisement