Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up coming Donegal election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's been quiet at my house too. I had McConalogue canvassers last week and Joe McHugh himself came to the door last night. My 7-year-old didn't fancy it, though. He ran to the door when the bell rang, shouting through the letterbox, "What do you want, random person?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

It's been quiet at my house too. I had McConalogue canvassers last week and Joe McHugh himself came to the door last night. My 7-year-old didn't fancy it, though. He ran to the door when the bell rang, shouting through the letterbox, "What do you want, random person?"

I like his attitude!:P:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Billydoc wrote: »
    At the minute this is my vote
    (1) McHugh
    (2) Pringle
    (3) Shields
    (4) Harte
    (5) Kennedy

Thats a fairly strange selection McHugh no1 then pringle 2, they are on completely opposite ends of the political spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

cosanostra wrote: »
    Thats a fairly strange selection McHugh no1 then pringle 2, they are on completely opposite ends of the political spectrum

Strange? Strange is voting for the SF and FF.

Strange? Strange is voting for the SF and FF.

On one hand you're voting for someone that supports water charges and austerity on the other you're voting for someone that is completely against that.

On a seperate point why would you vote Pringle but rule out SF so strongly?

• Advertisement

On one hand you're voting for someone that supports water charges and austerity on the other you're voting for someone that is completely against that.

On a seperate point why would you vote Pringle but rule out SF so strongly?

I ain't voting particular candidates on what they think of water charges. Thomas was in SF. I believe he's inpendent now. He would be one of the closest candidates to me. No Fine Gael candidate in South Donegal.

I ain't voting particular candidates on what they think of water charges. Thomas was in SF. I believe he's inpendent now. He would be one of the closest candidates to me. No Fine Gael candidate in South Donegal.

Geographically, or by traditional Constituency?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If anyone is interested there's a voter quiz here which will show you (after answering quite a few questions) which candidates you are best aligned to or the candidates who share your views.

I just completed it and apparently Pringle and myself have a 51% agreement rate on various issues :eek:

muffler wrote: »
    If anyone is interested there's a voter quiz here which will show you (after answering quite a few questions) which candidates you are best aligned to or the candidates who share your views.

I just completed it and apparently Pringle and myself have a 51% agreement rate on various issues :eek:

Apparently, I have a 43% agreement with SF, 41% with Pat the Cope (I can't stand the man!), 39% with Joe McHugh, and 36% with Tim Jackson.:confused:

I'm voting for Tim Jackson, followed by a selection of other Independents! Pat the Cope will get the second last preference on the list (14?), directly above Joe McHugh!
    Which takes care of the accuracy of that quiz, imo.

muffler wrote: »

Most of the candidates haven't answered so makes it a bit of a waste of time

• Advertisement

Most of the candidates haven't answered so makes it a bit of a waste of time
    Aye, I should have said that its more of a fun thing, at least as far as Donegal is concerned.

Politics aside and way off topic (slaps wrist) you could try the Boards Matchmaker which really is funny when you see the end results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jackireland

I hope one of the independents get in, going by the polls, its either pringle or shiels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I will vote Pringle, McBrearty, Pearse Doherty, Gary Doherty, Padraig, Cordelia Nic Fhearraigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

yourpics wrote: »
    I will vote Pringle, McBrearty, Pearse Doherty, Gary Doherty, Padraig, Cordelia Nic Fhearraigh

I havent seen anything at all about Cordelia Nic Fhearraigh. No poster, no flyer, nothing. In fairness I am going to google her now.

As as aside, were there any Litir um Thoghains at all, this campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I havent seen anything at all about Cordelia Nic Fhearraigh. No poster, no flyer, nothing. In fairness I am going to google her now.

She's a candidate for Fis Nua - a bit of a hippy sounding party with 2 candidates across the country. Looked this up a while back on the RTE website.
    Might put her in top few on my vote.

Did that smartvote.ie thing. Not surprisingly, came out as Green Party candidate!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did that quiz and Pringle comes out top with me too.

Does anyone know if all the candidates actually took part in this, cos if they have, that Shields guy selected NEUTRAL for every single answer.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did that quiz and Pringle comes out top with me too.

Does anyone know if all the candidates actually took part in this, cos if they have, that Shields guy selected NEUTRAL for every single answer.

Several candidates didn't answer the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Have to say that I'm really struggling with this election, who to vote for

FF - Made the mess, shouldn't be let near power ever again
    FG - Don't think they kept one promise made before last election
    SF - The day after they tell the truth about where all the bodies are buried I may consider voting for them.
    TP - Good guy, but a lot of his views wouldn't be close to mine
    FMB - Spoofer
    DS - Haven't a clue what he stands for
    PF - Green Party - Don't get me started.
    TJ - Really a one issue candidate, other stuff about pay etc just to get elected, that stuff won't change.
    NK - Anti Windmills is all I really know shes for/against.

I know i'm missing a couple but if I don't know their names, I deffo haven't a clue of their policies.

Firblog wrote: »
    Have to say that I'm really struggling with this election, who to vote for

FF - Made the mess, shouldn't be let near power ever again
    FG - Don't think they kept one promise made before last election
    SF - The day after they tell the truth about where all the bodies are buried I may consider voting for them.
    TP - Good guy, but a lot of his views wouldn't be close to mine
    FMB - Spoofer
    DS - Haven't a clue what he stands for
    PF - Green Party - Don't get me started.
    TJ - Really a one issue candidate, other stuff about pay etc just to get elected, that stuff won't change.
    NK - Anti Windmills is all I really know shes for/against.

I know i'm missing a couple but if I don't know their names, I deffo haven't a clue of their policies.

Same here! Of the leaflets I have read, though, (probably 6-7), it seems to be the usual farming, fishing, infrastructure, tourism.

Muffler posted a good link earlier about the candidates and their policies. Not all of them filled it in, though!
    It might be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Banjoxed wrote: »

She is running her campaign completely 'as gaeilge'. From what I have read I would say she is definetly worth a preference of some sort.

I received Litir um Thoghains from Pringle, Niamh Kennedy, Frank McB, Sinn Fein and FF.

• Advertisement

yourpics wrote: »
    She is running her campaign completely 'as gaeilge'. From what I have read I would say she is definetly worth a preference of some sort.

I received Litir um Thoghains from Pringle, Niamh Kennedy, Frank McB, Sinn Fein and FF.

She's wasting her time so, considering the vast majority of voters won't be able to understand a word she's saying.

opiniated wrote: »
    Several candidates didn't answer the questions.

Were they all offered the chance though?
    If they were, and some didn't bother their hoop taking the time to do it, then they'd be off my list of potential candidates.

Shows a disrespect for the voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

NIMAN wrote: »
    She's wasting her time so, considering the vast majority of voters won't be able to understand a word she's saying.

I can read Irish and thought it was a novel idea but after a few paragraphs I gave up. Sometimes it's an advantage if people can't understand you.

Is she conducting interviews in Irish too?
    Haven't heard her on local radio at all this last 3 weeks, must have missed her.

Paddypower has P. Doherty, P. McLoughlin, Pat the Cope and Charlie mc Conlogue hot favourites to win seats. Joe mc Hugh and Pringles fighting for the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Green, Shiels, Pearse Doherty, McConologue.

More strategic voting than personal preference. Green because none of the other small parties including Labour put up a candidate leaving poor choices, at least the Greens put in a candidate, and also they aren't populist.

Shiels is strong on higher public standards and accountability.

Pearse though I suspect he'll be elected by the time Shiels votes are transferred. McConologue is more an anti-the Cope vote.

The tallies will tell all as with the new constituency I can't call it. Will geography be more important than party allegiance? I suspect it will so Pearse, McConologue, MacLochlain (transfers from G. Doherty), McHugh (transfers from Harte) and I reckon Pat the Cope will just scrape the last seat ahead of Pringle and Shiels due to geography, personal vote and some FF transfers. I suspect running 3 SF candidates might adversely affect Pringle though I assume he'll pick up a fair few Kennedy transfers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Any early exit polls? Didnt get home to vote myself, stuck in dublin. Hopefully pringle squeezes in without my vote.

did that smartvote and some lad i never heard of came top - Mooney??

Only national exit polls that I can see. The following is up on the Highland Radio web site
    RTE poll puts the coalition parties on a total of 31.9%, while the earlier poll published by the Irish Times last night had them on just under 34%.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RTE has tallies from Inishowen and Milford areas, the old Donegal N.E. constituency. McConologue 40%, MacLochlain 19%, McHugh 13% IIRC.

Pearse 8% which is good considering the area.

FG might not be guaranteed a seat based on this as Pearse, Pringle and The Cope should do better in the old SW area.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Looks like Pearse took 8% off Mac Lochlain in inishowen

Advertisement