Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up coming Donegal election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

retalivity wrote: »
    Jaysus mclochlainn got bugger all from gary doherty compared to pearse

I sort of expected that, tbh.
    Pearse seems to be hugely popular throughout Donegal.

I'll hazard a guess that Pearse's surplus will transfer well to McLochlainn, putting him ahead of Pringle.
    But I also suspect that the Independents might transfer better to Pringle, getting him over the line.

It's still very hard to call, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A few friends and neighbours here noted that the SF canvassers in the Finn Valley area were asking people to vote G. Doherty 1 & P. Doherty 2 in that order. That would go a long way in explaining the huge difference in the transfers between P. Doherty and McLochlainn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Firblog

Mc Laughlin now nearly 800 ahead of Pringle after surplus distributed, now Shiels eliminated and his votes distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's an one as Pearse is so popular it isn't as if he needed them. I assume he'll transfer to MacLochlainn well now, 1,050 or so needed.

My guess is Pringle will do better on the Independents so MacLochlainn will need a big chunk of transfers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Now the fun begins.

It will be interesting to see whether Shields transfers well to Jackson, and, if so, where does it go from there?
    Pringle? Or straight to Pringle?

• Advertisement

800 is a lot.

This is where your preferences come in. An 8 for Pringle and 9 for MacLochlainn counts as a vote for Pringle!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What happens the votes where all the preferences have already been eliminated?

Lots of people vote 1,2,3. This late in the game, there are bound to be some votes where all the preferences have already been eliminated?

They keep going till they find a candidate still in.

So possibly 2-9 all eliminated so your No.10 gets transfered. That's why people advise voting all the way down. Your second most hated candidate might get in ahead of your most hated!

I voted like that last time, not this time.

I voted right to the bottom of the page.

My transfers haven't come into effect yet, though.
    I voted Jackson No.1, Shields 2.:D

My most hated and second most hated candidate are likely to be elected (McHugh, and Pat the Cope). Still, they got no help from me!

650 in it now, Jackson being eliminated. Hard to see Pringle pulling that back.

• Advertisement

Yeah, looks like Pringle will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

K-9 wrote: »
    Goes to your second preference or if they are gone, third etc.

So if I voted for say, Cordelia Nic Fhearraigh, and gave my 2 to Michael Mooney, but my 3 to Pat the Cope Gallagher, my vote would have gone to the cope in the count whenever the Irish name one was eliminated?

If the cope is eliminated, what do?

Yes. If The Cope is eliminated or elected they go to No.4 etc. whoever is left in the race basically.

If you ended at 3, that's it, your vote disappears!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Highland Radio ‏@highlandradio 34s34 seconds ago
    Tallies show that after Tim Jackson's votes have been distributed, Thomas Pringle is just 70 votes behind Padraig.

possible recount if thats right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

650 more than mclochlainn from 5864, will be close.

Will probably be a recount regardless

EDIT: As above

What happens now?

Pat the Cope and Mc Hugh have a surplus of 1200+ between them after the transfer of Jacksons votes. Do these get distributed?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Firblog wrote: »
    What happens now?

Pat the Cope and Mc Hugh have a surplus of 1200+ between them after the transfer of Jacksons votes. Do these get distributed?

I believe so. Will they bring Pringle back above McLochlain?

"Aoife Hegarty reports that Pat The Cope's surplus will determine which of Thomas Pringle or Padraig MacLochlainn retain their seat. MacLochlainn is currently 74 votes ahead, with 920 votes to be distributed."

From RTE. You'd imagine that would favour pringle...

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I believe so. Will they bring Pringle back above McLochlain?
    retalivity wrote: »
    "Aoife Hegarty reports that Pat The Cope's surplus will determine which of Thomas Pringle or Padraig MacLochlainn retain their seat. MacLochlainn is currently 74 votes ahead, with 920 votes to be distributed."

From RTE. You'd imagine that would favour pringle...

You would think so, geographically speaking.

On the other hand, there's little doubt that the Cope hoovered up some of Pearse Doherty's vote, so....

Toradh 12ú cuntas i nDún na nGall. Dáileadh 920 farasbarr Pat the Cope @ThomasPringleTD 9888 @PadraigMacL 9852 Difríocht 36 vóta

From Twitter
    Recount incoming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Firblog wrote: »
    What happens now?

Yes. Cope's are transferred first and if the gap between Pringle and MacLaughlinn is less than McHugh's surplus then it (251 votes) will also have to be distributed. After that there is nothing left so that is the end, barring a re-count.

McHughs being distributed now. Pringle 36 votes ahead after the Copes surplus was distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its more exciting than the Carling Cup Final today!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sorry folks. When a candidate is, say, 100 votes over the quota, how do they determine where the surplus goes? Do they take the next votes off 100 random voting sheets or count all the candidates votes and assign 100 votes pro rata?

A little bird tells me that tallies are speculating that Pringle is 198 votes ahead.
    I don't know how accurate that is.

its 100 off the most recent transfers that pushed a candidate over the quota. So for the cope & joe mchugh's surplus, it will be jackson's transfers.
    Pretty sure its random - if they got 300 transfers and are 100 over the quota, they just take the 100 off the top.

Pringle 198 ahead now apparently after McHugh's surplus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The surplus to be distributed is taken from the top of the pile and so comes from the bundle of votes that put the candidate over the quota.
    When distributing Cope's surplus they will come from the votes that were transferred from Jackson. All his no 1 votes are used to elect him so they aren't part of the surplus or extra votes.

Pringle elected, mclochlainn concedes.

Great stuff

EDIT: Final figures - Pringle 10082 - Maclochlainn 9898

So, we have 2FF, 1FG, 1SF, and 1 Ind.

No recount, thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks for the answers!

A surprise result there, with SF shooting themselves in the foot. Interesting that their first preferences were down from the last election.

Advertisement