Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Donegal. Where to stay and what to do?

Options
  • 08-02-2016 7:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'd like to head up to Donegal for a weekend some time.

What are some nice things to do with the missus?

Is Donegal a nice town to stay in? Or what about Letterkenny?

Where should we go for a day trip? Is Glenveagh national park any good?

I can keep asking questions but you get my drift. Please give me a few recommendations. Thanks!

Oh, is a drive to Belfast for the day doable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're approx 2hrs from Belfast, so thats 4hrs driving minimum.

Is there anything in particular that you'd be going to Belfast for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there anything in particular that you'd be going to Belfast for?

Never been there. Just want to see it. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

28srf0c wrote: »
    I'd like to head up to Donegal for a weekend some time.

What are some nice things to do with the missus?

Is Donegal a nice town to stay in? Or what about Letterkenny?

Where should we go for a day trip? Is Glenveagh national park any good?

I can keep asking questions but you get my drift. Please give me a few recommendations. Thanks!

Oh, is a drive to Belfast for the day doable?
    Is it just yourself and "the boss" or will you have kids or others with you and what sort of age group are you?

Are you into a bit of adventure or sightseeing or shopping?

A couple of points. Donegal Town would be smaller than Letterkenny and would obviously have less attractions as such but is more tourist orientated.

As Niman said you would be a good 2 hours drive from Belfast (2.5 hours min. from Donegal town). Derry might be a better option if you wanted to spend some time across the border - half hour from L/kenny, 1 hour from Donegal town.

Its difficult to squeeze a few outdoor trips over the space of a weekend but if you have a read through this thread particularly the link in the first post it will give you an idea as to what Donegal has to offer. Also have a look at this. The first couple of pages are mostly about Letterkenny but other parts of the county get a mention further on in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

28srf0c wrote: »
    Never been there. Just want to see it. Any good?

Yeah Belfast is a decent spot, I assumed that maybe you wanted to go there specifically to see something, like the titanic exhibition.

If not, then I would say why not Derry. I am biased being a derryman but it's a nice city, small and easy to walk around, friendly people, most of the top shopping you'd get in Belfast, cheap eateries, etc. Plus its a whole lot closer for you to get to for a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Glenveagh is magic!

Every time I'm up in Donegal I have to get my fix of Glenveagh.

There are some gorgeous walks (10k, give or take) which involve getting a bus from the visitor centre at weekends at 10am (I'm sure the website has details) - well worth the early start. Or you can just park up, walk (or bus) in to the heart of the park and the castle, do the tour (very interesting, and slightly bonkers) and enjoy the gardens and a coffee with the best lemon drizzle cake in the country!

(I have absolutely no affiliation to the place, btw, am just an addicted punter :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement