Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodi on Amazon firestick not working with Virgin Media Ireland

Options
  • 08-02-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have very recently moved over to virgin media and have already run into some problems. I have an Amazon firestick with Kodi running TVAddons for the kids to look at movies etc. This had been working perfectly with my below average Vodafone 6mb broadband but will not work with my new 240mb broadband running from he Horizon box.
    I have called technical services and they have assured me that now sites or servers are being blocked (i had read that virgin do this in the UK) so i am unsure of what to do next.

Is there something i can do to get Kodi running properly again or should i just give up and go back to vodafone and beg for mercy

Kieran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Hi,
    I have very recently moved over to virgin media and have already run into some problems. I have an Amazon firestick with Kodi running TVAddons for the kids to look at movies etc. This had been working perfectly with my below average Vodafone 6mb broadband but will not work with my new 240mb broadband running from he Horizon box.
    I have called technical services and they have assured me that now sites or servers are being blocked (i had read that virgin do this in the UK) so i am unsure of what to do next.

Is there something i can do to get Kodi running properly again or should i just give up and go back to vodafone and beg for mercy

Kieran

Virgin don't block content in Ireland, I'm with them and running Kodi on 2 firesticks and Amazon fire t.v

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Muller_magic

Virgin don't block content in Ireland, I'm with them and running Kodi on 2 firesticks and Amazon fire t.v

Thanks Breaston Planats
    Are you using their router or the Horizon Box?
    I know people using the firestick with a virgin router but havent heard of anyone running it with the Horizon Box. Stick was running perfect until i switched ISP??

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Thanks Breaston Planats
    Are you using their router or the Horizon Box?
    I know people using the firestick with a virgin router but havent heard of anyone running it with the Horizon Box. Stick was running perfect until i switched ISP??

Running it through the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Hi,

Kieran
    I also run kodi on a firestick via horizon wi-fi - no issues bar the the usual issues in trying to get decent content and reliable add ons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eoboyle

Running it through the router.
    I run Kodi on a firestick via horizon wifi and can`t seem to stream any live TV. Just wondering if you fiddled with any of the settings on the Horizon router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Virgin IE deffo block some sources I'm afraid..

We switched from a 3 4G router where all sources played to Virgin where a lot of known sources won't play..

I then used a VPN with Virgin and launched the same sources and those sources now play..

I see in the UK that something called WebSafe can be turned off but don't see this in the My Virgin page here in Ireland..

Anyone else noticed this or find a solution?

Hi thanks for that. How did you set up the VPN through your Virgin Media Horizon box router?

mcquaim wrote: »
    Virgin IE deffo block some sources I'm afraid..

We switched from a 3 4G router where all sources played to Virgin where a lot of known sources won't play..

I then used a VPN with Virgin and launched the same sources and those sources now play..

I see in the UK that something called WebSafe can be turned off but don't see this in the My Virgin page here in Ireland..

Anyone else noticed this or find a solution?
    Thanks for that. Did you set up a VPN on a Horizon Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

eoboyle wrote: »
    Hi thanks for that. How did you set up the VPN through your Virgin Media Horizon box router?

Well, to test if Virgin was blocking sources I used my phone.

Fired up Kodi and noted the loads of sources not playing..

Then launch the PIA VPN app and then launched Kodi again and all the sources that didn't play then played fine...

The thing is that UPC/Virgin claim they don't block anything but this is proof they do..

Thanks I`ll try that. I think you`re right. Iv`e tried it in friends houses who are not on Virgin media in it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 romukief

Hi am about to switch to virgin.
    I have still my vodafone router installed and working.
    Virgin media router working also at the same time.
    If I connect my box with kodi to vodafone router, I can play all kodi content (primwire link etc...)
    If I connect to my Virgin media router, all flash link still working but other contents like the same primewire content HD are blocked!
    Is there any workaround? VPN registration\subscription is tehn require?
    Is there ant better VPN than other? expensive?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hey guys,

Not to drag up an old thread but this is still going on.

Installed kodi onto my Apple tv 4th generation. All runs smooth out on my Meteor hotspot from the phone and from my parents on the Sky fibre package.

Once I connect to Virgin, either wifi or LAN. No sources, or just one or two. Never came across this before. This is on the new latest Kodi.

interestingly though, the older Jarvis version on my Mac laptop - Still works and connects fine. Only on the Apple TV and Fire stick running the latest kodi version this happens.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but Virgin are doing something weird here.

Also to add I am using a Airport extreme connected to the Virgin router.

Fairly tech knowledgable but this has my head fried. Especially with the older version on Kodi being unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Opal123

Is there a solution to this problem? does using a vpn work?
    thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Please see stickey re Kodi addons, obtaining subscription services etc.

Thread closed.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement