Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creme Eggs

Options
  • 08-02-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Am I the only one who can't tell the difference between the new recipe and the old one?
    If anything I'd say they are nicer now than before. I really don't get how people think they can taste the difference?

Comments

Same I can't tell the difference :) to be honest I can't remember what the old version tasted like for a comparison :P

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Well they're definitely smaller anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

The new chocolate tastes disgusting can't see why they changed it from Dairy milk chocolate. Well except for profit reasons.

Cadburys have lost a huge amount of sales over the last 2 years of creme eggs.
    The other thing that annoys me is changing the 6 pack to a 5 pack especially as the eggs are now smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wintear wrote: »
    The other thing that annoys me is changing the 6 pack to a 5 pack especially as the eggs are now smaller.
    The eggs are not smaller, I thought the poster before you was joking as the subject constantly comes up. 39 grams as always here.

Dealz are doing 3 for 1.49, most size packs end up being 50cent now, I have not seen a better price. When the "season" ends I have gotten them in 2 euro type shops for 20cent each, 5 for a euro or 10 for 2.

Rubadub you are correct that the eggs are actually bigger but the chocolate shell fondant ratio has changed and multi packs have been reduced.

Perhaps I am bitter at Kraft funking up my favourite chocolate confection. It tastes worse than the American version now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i don't mind the taste . there isn't much difference

what annoys me is that they fall apart too easy.
    the process used to join them now is pathetic . the halves are only barely attached. one bit and its a sticky mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm a huge creme egg fan. I was able to notice the change in the chocolate straight away. They just aren't the same anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The chocolate tastes completely different. I used to love them, but I wouldn't touch them now. Kraft just don't seem to understand the UK/Ireland market.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rubadub you are correct that the eggs are actually bigger but the chocolate shell fondant ratio has changed and multi packs have been reduced..
    The multipacks changed a year ago. IIRC they were usually 6 for 3 euro as the RRP and now 5 for 2.50 so no actual change in price per egg.

I no longer see the 3 packs, which were very common at one stage and I think they were 1.50.

Did they officially declare that the ratio changed?

Tesco list it as "Milk chocolate egg with a soft fondant centre (47%)" I cannot find a previous one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Last year I said I didn't notice the change, had a big debate with someone about them - this year I think they're manky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The new chocolate tastes disgusting can't see why they changed it from Dairy milk chocolate. Well except for profit reasons.

Cadburys have lost a huge amount of sales over the last 2 years of creme eggs.

If they lose sales from the change over. If their profit is up from the cheaper chocolate, they are winning. Considering Lidl sells perfectly good milk chocolate for 40 cent for 100 grams. They must be making only a few cents more per box with massive negative publicity.

I honestly cant understand why a chocolate company would start playing around with their recipes when their quality is the only thing differentiating them from other chocolate brands. I cant see Cadbury's remaining the favourite chocolate for too long in UK and Ireland. People are starting to buy higher quality bars or cheaper bars from Lidl/Aldi. Both are superior to Cadburys. I just dont think Cadburys understands their consumers anymore.

Its not Cadburys anymore its Kraft. Kraft have said they consider chocolate too expensive so try to fill it with other things like Daim or Oreo.

They lost 6 million in sales of creme eggs last year and this year repeated the same mistakes. They'll just claim an early Easter caused any fall in sales.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Its not Cadburys anymore its Kraft. Kraft have said they consider chocolate too expensive so try to fill it with other things like Daim or Oreo.

They lost 6 million in sales of creme eggs last year and this year repeated the same mistakes. They'll just claim an early Easter caused any fall in sales.

Yeah, too many changes. No more 100g bars of tiffin, golden crisp, mint crisp etc either
    They obviously don't care about quality. Some things like 'boost' :mad: still taste great but most things I wouldn't touch anymore. Don't think double deckers even taste as good anymore.
    Haven't bought a bog standard dairy milk in ages, are they still 'Irish' and creamy and tasty and yummy? I much prefer galaxy now if I'm buying just milk chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ok - all this talk of Creme Eggs had me thinking of them....
    so I though I'd break out my stash of Creme Eggs that's been sitting on my shelf since 2012 and see if indeed which one is the best - yup - an ORIGINAL RECIPE Cadbury Creme Egg !

Best before July 2013 .... hmmm.... ah sure why not
    So its a bit out of date - but in the interest of science lets do a taste test :)

First weight:
    New Recipe: 42g
    Old Recipe: 40g Height: 50.5mm Width:34.6mm & 36mm

Opening the old one - Looked ok from outside - shell well sealed all the way round - hard chocolate - really tastes just like those large blocks of dairy milk choc. Very nice...

Creme is all crystalised - firm - like the white mint bit in an old style frys chocolate bar - yellow yoke is all dissolved into the egg somewhere....
    Got that burning throat sensation now... :P:(:pac: have to stop test...

...if I recover and can face another I might try my first one of 2016 tomorrow to compare.....

photos:
    o9rdzq.jpg
    wrgal0.jpg
    dqq7ep.jpg
    2ymf2bq.jpg

Have another couple here... but as nice as the choc is - I might not eat them... :)

“Roll it back”

Advertisement