Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Rice

Options
  • 08-02-2016 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm not the only one, but cooking brown rice takes ages, 25-35 minutes...

It really annoys me, as my dinner is normally ready quicker...

Is there anyway to speed up the cooking time for rice, or batch cook it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Rice freezes really well. You could cook a large batch and then freeze portions. If you defrost it and then reheat it (covered) in the microwave, it will be back to its freshly cooked state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

When I do regular basmati rice it takes 30 mins! Steam for 20mins and then let sit for 10mins before fluffing and serving.

Rice stays warm for ages so get in habit of starting it before you do anything else as 30 mins go fast while preparing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I could not do without my rice cooker (I know, I am spoiled). It might not be a lot faster, but it can cook unattended while I do other things, and hold the rice safely until needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

BailMeOut wrote: »
    When I do regular basmati rice it takes 30 mins! Steam for 20mins and then let sit for 10mins before fluffing and serving.

Rice stays warm for ages so get in habit of starting it before you do anything else as 30 mins go fast while preparing food.
    What! 12 max here. Bring to the boil with lid on for 3 minutes, and turn off the heat and leave to steam until the liquid is gone. Lovely and fluffy. I find rinsing it beforehand speeds up the cooking time, suppose it starts the rehydration process. Must see does that work for brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

<snip>no food safety advice at all, thanks</snip>
    no quicker way to cook brown rice.
    30mins for basmati? if you like mush.
    10 mins tops.

• Advertisement

TheShow wrote: »
    no quicker way to cook brown rice.
    10 mins tops.

Brown rice takes about 20min in the pressure cooker. That's about half the time of steaming brown rice, but it's not really worth the extra hassle imo.

30min for basmati is definitely crazy!

TheShow wrote: »
    10 mins tops.
    30min for basmati is definitely crazy!

Mush! I have never cooked bad rice in my life. The best method IMO (and I have tried lots) is Delia Smith's method from her 'Complete Cookery Course' book, see page 274 'Perfect Rice'. Check it out - process takes 30 mins and your rice is always perfect! Being patient with a really slow steam pays off.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Mush! I have never cooked bad rice in my life. The best method IMO (and I have tried lots) is Delia Smith's method from her 'Complete Cookery Course' book, see page 274 'Perfect Rice'. Check it out - process takes 30 mins and your rice is always perfect! Being patient with a really slow steam pays off.

I'm Brazilian; I cook rice nearly every day. :P

Her method is exactly the same as mine, which is the way my family has always cooked it (though I season it more than Delia). Takes about 15min. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/perfect-rice.html

Leaving it to stand can make it better, but five or so minutes is usually enough, and it's an optional step anyway unless you've used slightly too much water (fresher rice requires less water, as do some long grain varieties). If you use a glass lid with a steam vent you don't need a timer or a tea towel.

I'm Brazilian; I cook rice nearly every day. :P

Her method is exactly the same as mine, which is the way my family has always cooked it (though I season it more than Delia). Takes about 15min. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/perfect-rice.html

Leaving it to stand can make it better, but five or so minutes is usually enough, and it's an optional step anyway unless you've used slightly too much water (fresher rice requires less water, as do some long grain varieties). If you use a glass lid with a steam vent you don't need a timer or a tea towel.

Yep - that's what I am doing. I set my timer as soon as I start the process so I am probably doing 15 mins as well. My cooker has one very small gas ring that I can get to a really low heat setting and I always put something heavy on the lid so it stays tight. Sometimes thrown in a bay leaf which gives the rice a nice flavour and it is never mush!

Advertisement