Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relocating to Dublin with dogs

• 08-02-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi folks,

After a couple of years living in south Meath, my wife has decided that she wants us to up sticks again and move back to Dublin. Being from the country I'm disappointed, but would be more willing to take it on the chin except we have 2 dogs. One is a Golden Retriever and the other a Neapolitan Mastiff. After 3 years living in the countryside, how can I bring these dogs to live in Dublin?
    I want to generate some opinion ... do I rehome them or can I bring them to Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Best of luck on the move, it's one of the best cities in Europe to live in... except, it's not very dog friendly compared to some European cities. The whole country isn't really dog friendly. You're going to find it hard to find a landlord that will allow two large pets. There's a huge demand for houses in the city so landlords get to pick and chose.

If you're buying, try and buy near a park or beach (or both). Dublin has more green space than a lot of cities. I have more available walking areas outside my house than any of my rural based relations. Off leash is allowed during certain (check the by laws) times for unrestricted breeds and some parks have large dog areas where off leash running is allowed 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Would you be buying a house or renting? You could find it difficult finding a house to rent with two large dogs but other than that it's no different to living in the country really. You might have to drive a bit to find suitable places to let the dogs off lead but unless your dogs have issues with car chasing/other dogs or are wary of strangers they should adjust without too much problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

as long as your dogs are with you "their humans", they wont 'care' where they are! They will soon get into the routine of their new location. You will have to find someplace to walk them, hopefully where your house is there will be lots of 'safe' walks - in fact they will probably be thrilled to have so many new smells and things to look at - my dogs used to go BONKERS when I used to take them to the town :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are they outdoor dogs and you're worried about them being in a garden in suburbia? If not I don't see what the problem is - we actually have parks and open areas in Dublin to walk dogs lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I think the biggest complication will be housing if you are looking to rent. If you are buying that's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭soulglo79

Thanks folks. We're looking to buy not rent.

I guess my biggest concern is the fact that myself and my wife both work full time jobs. Our current home has plenty of space for the dogs to roam around during the day while we're not there. They also have a nice big shed at night-time for sleeping. I don't like the idea of them moving to such a smaller space.

But thanks for the replies ... I'm starting to feel a little better about it (but might need some more convincing!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

soulglo79 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. We're looking to buy not rent.

I guess my biggest concern is the fact that myself and my wife both work full time jobs. Our current home has plenty of space for the dogs to roam around during the day while we're not there. They also have a nice big shed at night-time for sleeping. I don't like the idea of them moving to such a smaller space.

But thanks for the replies ... I'm starting to feel a little better about it (but might need some more convincing!)

That's a problem no matter where you live!!

Choose carefully. The whole Dublin Northside/Southside thing is dead. It's now Westside/Eastside. Seaside villages in Dublin are the way to go if you can.

Thanks again John Rambo

Yeah I know the work issue is there no matter what. My thinking has always been that if we're not going to be at home during the day ... at least they'd have plenty of space to roam. I feel that a smaller garden in Dublin would be a bit claustrophobic for them.

I've put in my wish-list for the new place ... location close to beach (Raheny, Sutton, Portmarnock, Malahide) and a decent size garden and a shed/garage. Its gonna be a stretch to achieve all of these but we'll give it a go.

• Advertisement

Thanks again John Rambo

Yeah I know the work issue is there no matter what. My thinking has always been that if we're not going to be at home during the day ... at least they'd have plenty of space to roam. I feel that a smaller garden in Dublin would be a bit claustrophobic for them.

I've put in my wish-list for the new place ... location close to beach (Raheny, Sutton, Portmarnock, Malahide) and a decent size garden and a shed/garage. Its gonna be a stretch to achieve all of these but we'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

How about employing a dog walker during the day while you are at work?

Thanks MurphF

Yeah that might be worth considering. I'll see where we land in a few months time amd make my mind up then.

Advertisement