Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origin - Hacking alert

Options
  • 08-02-2016 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

My Origin account was just hacked - came back from work today to find that I'd just bought Battlefield4 with all the addons (didn't work 'cos my card wasn't linked), then my password, then email and sec question had been changed. This supposedly has been happening over the past few months. Could've cost me quite a few hundreds.

But just for everyone to be aware - Origin accounts are unsecure atm - I'd advise unlinking any bank cards in the meantime.

Bump up your security.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont have CC on Origin account have 2 step on, did you have 2 step on?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ElusiveHaggis

I have to admit, I had a really crap pwd...shamefully so (I never really used it online) thus no 2nd step - I thought it wouldn't be a problem. But wherever my info is stored on EA's accounts, they got my email and I guess it was an easy hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looks like my security questions were changed but my email wasn't. can't change password unless i answer the security questions :/. waiting on line to support now

My profile was changed...I wonder...Russian lang?

person: Valery Batsian
    dob: 06/09/1995
    userID1(on email): bat9lolavalera
    userID2(on origin): Angelic_Kot
    email: acuramvalera@gmail.com

Friends:
    ZipoMed
    valerabat9lola (see userID1)

My security question is in Russian, or similar...can't get past it. Creamy, did u get an email to reset ur email back? After that immediately reset ur password.

• Advertisement

my email address wasn't changed :/

U should be able to 'forget ur password' then?

you're right, just done that now, will stop them getting in again, but still have to be able to answer security questions to turn on 2FA :(

I literally got an email saying that they have a phone no (Local) +353 91 423786...I placed a case, and all they've done is say I have to call them. *sigh* EA...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Origin accounts are unsecure atm

I'm confused - is there something wrong with Origin or are you just using terrible passwords?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they meant as a precaution. Of course if you have a strong password (16 characters max is what EA allow, and it isn't strong enough in my opinion) and 2 factor auth, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just logged into Origin now after reading through this thread. Haven't logged in since Mass Effect 3 released and my card has expired already but one odd thing about it was that my country of residence was Ireland but written in Russian letters (Ирландия) Came back to the same page again after a few minutes and it was back to Ireland written in English!

Spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Just logged into Origin now ...

one odd thing about it was that my country of residence was Ireland but written in Russian letters (Ирландия) Came back to the same page again after a few minutes and it was back to Ireland written in English!

Spooky

After reading this I just checked my Origin account , and had the same ( Russian letters ).

Refreshed page and location was set to Irlande , refreshed again and was properly set to Ireland .

Very odd.

I've had two step authorisation enabled for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Set up the 2 step, nice they let you use any you like rather than another app to install.

got sorted with chat just there. changed my security question and 2fa on, barely even use origin/ea but still good to have it locked down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Same here, didn't notice anything fishy, but you're as well off with 2FA on, it's just easier.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Same here, didn't notice anything fishy, but you're as well off with 2FA on, it's just easier.
    definitely more peace of mind with it, but do feel like 2FA is a pain in the hoop. at least EA allow you use to use authenticator apps as opposed to text messages :D. Also found it funny that I could say I wanted the code to come to my email, that kinda defeats the purpose of 2FA as it's meant to be secure even if someone's got into your email. That being said if someone's in your email you've got bigger problems than some Russian playing on your EA account :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Logged in myself last night after seeing this, and changed my password + enabled 2FA at the same time. I didn't have any payment options connected, but still, better safe etc

Honestly, if you don't have TFA on and are using a weak password then you've no one to blame but yourself for getting your account compromised. For some reason Russian's seem to see Origin accounts as something worth pumping hours into hacking but I've never understood why. You can't gift games and EA are great when it comes to any hacked account. Once you verify it's your account they'll change everything back for you and refund any purchases made by the person who compromised your account.

Don't see anyone blaming anyone but themselves :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes...yes ;) I had a crappy password, but I mainly used Origin offline with the occasional download, or update. It was only a minor nuisance...still. I now have to remove the sec question that's in Russian...

As Bush would say - “There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” ;)

*edit* Sorted, phoned EA and it's all fixed...now with uber-security.

my rockstar social club was got as well. again just changed password and language to russian.

simple enough fix but with no 2fa it's another account that's a target :/

All of these gaming apps should have the same security as banks. It should be the norm now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

my rockstar social club was got as well. again just changed password and language to russian.

simple enough fix but with no 2fa it's another account that's a target :/

With two accounts accessed I'd be cautious and check for a possible keylogger on your PC.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    With two accounts accessed I'd be cautious and check for a possible keylogger on your PC.

Don't have a PC. Passwords were stupidly the same as long secure passwords are a pain to enter on a console :(. Learnt my lesson though I usually use 2FA and strong 50+ random character passwords.

Advertisement