Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you rest your batter?

Options
  • 08-02-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I was always taught to make pancake batter the night before it would be used. This is to let the flour expand, I was always told. Tonight I got to wondering if it isn't like Granny's roast beef secret. So, do you rest your batter?

On a related note, I'm trying Delia's batter recipe. It calls for more liquid than I'd usually use and makes for a thinner batter. I was dubious but a test pancake proved very tasty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I do, just because the recipes tell me to. I've never not let them rest so I wouldn't know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I always make mine the night before for Pancake Tuesday but for regular non-Pancake Tuesday occasions I make it just before I use it. The rested batter is much nicer. The texture of the pancakes seems softer or something. There may not be anything behind the advice to rest the batter, but I find that it makes a difference. Either way the pancakes are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Its been a tradition passed down from my mum, so we always rest it, or because my mum worked never had time, but i would always make it the night before.

Ha, I posted the story above without reading it as I heard it as a shoulder of ham ����

Ha, I posted the story above without reading it as I heard it as a shoulder of ham 😊😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Not always. As I make crepe batter for one, it doesnt get rested the first morning, but is rested for the following (1 egg, 125g flour, 225g milk).

If it's fluffy american pancakeS, there is ZERO RESTING, i repeat ZERO RESTING.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Not always. As I make crepe batter for one, it doesnt get rested the first morning, but is rested for the following (1 egg, 125g flour, 225g milk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I only ever rest batter for Yorkshire puddings and I have never questioned why before now. Maybe my ma does it. I rarely plan to eat pancakes long before I make them so there would be no time for resting! It is usually "oh, I've no bread. Pancakes it is!"!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tree wrote: »

I rest my batter for 10-15 minutes when I'm making American style pancakes and they always turn out perfectly.

Zaph wrote: »
    I rest my batter for 10-15 minutes when I'm making American style pancakes and they always turn out perfectly.
    Ah now, there's a distinct drop in fluffiness from the start of the batch to the end (baking soda/buttermilk/flour/salt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If I'm making them properly then yes!!! Thou I often make them when I've the whim or too lazy to go shopping but there is a big difference in ghe tastyness if you don't rest it!

Big basin of Batter made & can't wait for early am! Banannas, Baileys & lemon & sugar ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

isn't it a case of if you add yeast or use self raising flour then you let it rest a couple of hours?

I always add beer to my crepe batter so always let it rest an hour or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Several things happen while you rest the batter (if you do)

1. Some natural yeast fermentation will take place, just from the air, etc. This improves both flavour and lightness.

2. Any lumps dissolve naturally.

3. Gluten relaxes, if you have been beating a bit roughly, and thus the pancakes are more tender.

4. Sometimes the batter will thicken as the flour absorbs liquid: you may need to adjust the consistency.

5. There is time to assemble your pan, oil, utensils etc and wipe up any spills: since pancake batter can harden on to things like a layer of enamel.

All of these are reasons to do it, but you don't actually have to rest batter if there isn't time.

It is interesting academically to compare the two methods. [by eating the results!]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I generally never have the time to do it so I never do.

This recipe for pancakes here also says "Traditionally, people would say to now leave the batter for 30 mins, to allow the starch in the flour to swell, but there’s no need."

Perhaps it makes a difference, I dunno, but there certainly is no need or requirement to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

I don't normally rest the batter other than what Katemarch said i.e. leave it there while i clean up. However, because i knew i was going to be home late on Tuesday night i made the batch on Monday night. I was wholly disappointed with it! The pankcakes just went to mush, took longer to cook than normal and were just not the same. :-(. Don't think i'll be as inclined to leave it rest again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Mellifera wrote: »
    I don't normally rest the batter other than what Katemarch said i.e. leave it there while i clean up. However, because i knew i was going to be home late on Tuesday night i made the batch on Monday night. I was wholly disappointed with it! The pankcakes just went to mush, took longer to cook than normal and were just not the same. :-(. Don't think i'll be as inclined to leave it rest again.

Agreeing...and speaking as a lifetime veteran pancaker:

Letting it relax and develop for half an hour is one thing, but I think overnight is too long.
    I've tried leaving it eight hours and the same thing happened - as you say, mushy: the flour has absorbed too much liquid and gone all gelatinous.

Two good recipes here which do not recommend long resting;

http://thetastebudtest.blogspot.ie/2015/02/the-pancake-pan-2-recipes.html

Advertisement