Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Noise levels in a house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you know its beside a dual carriageway when you buy it I'd doubt you have a leg to stand on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of buying house but concerned about noise fro adjacent dual carriageway.
    Is the onus on the vendor to ensure it complies with the Environmental Noise Regulations Act 2006

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Noise/EnvironmentalNoiseRegulations2006/

You like you buy.
    You don't like you don't buy.

I very much doubt you'll get an owner to offer such a service as you have described.
    When was the house built?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've lived within 100-250m of the M50/N4 for many years. You get used to it it.

Any new development have to have a 90m set back from these roads. Very often triple glazing is also specified

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jos_kel

godtabh wrote: »
    I've lived within 100-250m of the M50/N4 for many years. You get used to it it.

Any new development have to have a 90m set back from these roads. Very often triple glazing is also specified

House had double glazing. You can hear traffic like a hum in the house.
    Garden is nice but far side of wall is N4 where you can hear it clearly.
    Would it affect infants/kids?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

House had double glazing. You can hear traffic like a hum in the house.
    Garden is nice but far side of wall is N4 where you can hear it clearly.
    Would it affect infants/kids?

Amy chance this is Lucan?

Kids have lived here all there lives. They no better. It just becomes background noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi,
    Thinking of buying house but concerned about noise fro adjacent dual carriageway.
    Is the onus on the vendor to ensure it complies with the Environmental Noise Regulations Act 2006

Which part of the Environmental Noise Regulations do you think they might need to comply with?
    Have you read the document?

Also there is a noise Map being produced to see if Ireland complies with the directive. Proposes some mitigation measures but probably on paper only

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

godtabh wrote: »
    Also there is a noise Map being produced to see if Ireland complies with the directive. Proposes some mitigation measures but probably on paper only

The noise mapping was produced in 2007, it was a requirement of the regulations in the OP.
    The noise-mapping body or bodies concerned shall, no later than 30 June 2007, make a strategic noise map for each of the following areas, in respect of the calendar year 2006:-

It was revised in 2012.
    This is an obligation of the County councils, the NRA, Iarnrod Eireann, the Airport authority, etc. I'm not sure what the OP thinks is applicable to the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you are concerned about the noise /potential noise now, then dont buy you'd never be at ease ...
    On a side note I 'd be more concerned about diesel particulates and nox ect ,living next to abusy dual carraige way....
    Noise you get over and get on, ,emissions seem to be reported as more dangerous year by year....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I live near a road and at first i noticed it the traffic noise. Now i don't notice it at all. Its just background noise and its quite low. But if you have a problem with that and are used to silence then maybe its better to buy somewhere else.

However if you look at the number of people who live next to main roads that shows how used to it people can get. Every town and village in Ireland has ribbon development along main roads. So much so that council planning departments are clamping down on it. Many people seem to want to live by the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Letree wrote: »
    I live near a road and at first i noticed it the traffic noise. Now i don't notice it at all. Its just background noise and its quite low. But if you have a problem with that and are used to silence then maybe its better to buy somewhere else.

However if you look at the number of people who live next to main roads that shows how used to it people can get. Every town and village in Ireland has ribbon development along main roads. So much so that council planning departments are clamping down on it. Many people seem to want to live by the road.

As others have said, it is an individual thing. I spent a miserable year a field away from a major trunk road and never got used to it and the same when I stayed with friends who were near big roads. Others get used to it. If you are having such reservations though? I live now where there is no traffic noise, no road and would not live anywhere else, Entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I lived in Drogheda for ten years in an estate right beside the M1, the only time it used to annoy me is that i would always know in the morning when it was around 5am as you could hear the traffic start up! I used to always think oh no ive only one hour left in bed! Now i live in Raheny and i know when its around 7am as I can hear the aeroplanes starting up!! Haha you cant win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jos_kel

Jen44 wrote: »
    I lived in Drogheda for ten years in an estate right beside the M1, the only time it used to annoy me is that i would always know in the morning when it was around 5am as you could hear the traffic start up! I used to always think oh no ive only one hour left in bed! Now i live in Raheny and i know when its around 7am as I can hear the aeroplanes starting up!! Haha you cant win!!

Actually going to give this house a miss as I see apart from noise there is also a potential/real link to asthma and my son already has asthma. Don't want to take any chances.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2007/jan/26/pollution.transportintheuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Hi,

No. You are buying 'as is'.

Advertisement