Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failure on Emissions

Options
  • 08-02-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, thought I would add to all the otherS that have requested advice on NCT failures for emissions.

I am hoping this is just an exhaust issue or may be fixed by a fuel additive. Any advise will help.

This is for a Focus 1.4 petrol on a 00 plate (2000)
    So Report shows.

Low Idle (720 rpm)
    CO 0.43 vol% (above 0.50% would fail - THIS SHOWS AS A PASS
    HC 382 ppm (above 0ppm would fail - THIS SHOWS AS N/A

However
    High Idle (2,810 rpm)
    Lambda 1.05 (not between 0.97 and 1.03) - THIS IS A FAIL/REFUSAL
    CO 0.81 vol% (above 0.30% would fail) - THIS IS A FAIL/REFUSAL
    HC 267 ppm (above 200pm would fail) - THIS IS A FAIL/REFUSAL

I have done quite a bit of googling and can see everything from a Catalytic problem to a blast on the motorway. I never do more than 6K a day normally and engine rarely gets revved up. I was thinking if it was worth getting some of that fuel additive stuff and try burning off some old crap by having a few motorway blasts before retest.

I will try and check the exhaust tomorrow to see if there are any holes etc that would cause issues.
    What's the general feeling amongst the exports on here for those readings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

wardy1976 wrote: »
    Hi all, thought I would add to all the otherS that have requested advice on NCT failures for emissions.

I am hoping this is just an exhaust issue or may be fixed by a fuel additive. Any advise will help.

This is for a Focus 1.4 petrol on a 00 plate (2000)
    So Report shows.

Low Idle (720 rpm)
    CO 0.43 vol% (above 0.50% would fail - THIS SHOWS AS A PASS
    HC 382 ppm (above 0ppm would fail - THIS SHOWS AS N/A

However
    High Idle (2,810 rpm)
    Lambda 1.05 (not between 0.97 and 1.03) - THIS IS A FAIL/REFUSAL
    CO 0.81 vol% (above 0.30% would fail) - THIS IS A FAIL/REFUSAL
    HC 267 ppm (above 200pm would fail) - THIS IS A FAIL/REFUSAL

I have done quite a bit of googling and can see everything from a Catalytic problem to a blast on the motorway. I never do more than 6K a day normally and engine rarely gets revved up. I was thinking if it was worth getting some of that fuel additive stuff and try burning off some old crap by having a few motorway blasts before retest.

I will try and check the exhaust tomorrow to see if there are any holes etc that would cause issues.
    What's the general feeling amongst the exports on here for those readings.

i had a similar issue with a diesel car and used dipetane and now regularly drive it at 4000 rpm at weekly stages and it passed the re-test no problem
    can be added into the fuel filter on service which is what i did or i was told adding it to the fuel tank helps
    also where you buy the fuel from is a factor i now use topaz all the time as advised by my mechanic, i used to fill up wherever was cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wardy1976

Yeah I am kind of hoping its just the engine not getting a good enough run. I am going to get some dipetane tomorrow as the fuel is low anyway and will need topping up. Will try this and have a few runs on the motorway and get the restest done. I will get a retest and see what happens. If it fails again then I will get worried about costs and what else it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

From those figures, I'd say the cat has failed.

Advertisement