Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinahely Duathlon Sun 1st May 2016 (South Wicklow)

Options
  • 09-02-2016 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

aag66b.png

€25 individual entry, register here https://registration.mylaps.com/tinahely-duathlon-/.

Club-run Duathlon which has been well-received for the past few years. Limited to 130 entrants. Its a nice route, out on backroads for the first 5k run, back through the forest trail by the river; then a rolling 20k bike on quiet backroads from Tinahely to Shillelagh, past Coolattin Estate, and back to Tinahely; and then a fast 3km out-and-back trail run to the finish.

Cakes and teas and goodybags for everyone afterwards; prizes for the winners. Hope to see some of you there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Always a good well run event this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Would this be a Duathlon for an absolute beginner or is it more suited to established athletes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Would this be a Duathlon for an absolute beginner or is it more suited to established athletes?

Every year there's been a wide spread of ability- for whatever reason (I think its timing) we have always had a pretty competitive front of pack. But, yes, every year there are absolute beginners too (plenty of mountain bikes on view, for instance). A lot of people would know the forest trails from running there, and so give their first duathlon a shot.

Last week to register for this event.

In an act of incredible generosity, I'll sponsor a bottle of Bordeaux to the fastest Boardsie* on the day :)

(*terms & conditions apply. Must be over 18. Must not have pissed me off within past year. Judges reserve the right to substitute "fastest" for "hottest female" on the day. Cash value not to exceed €5.99)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Just signed up for this.

• Advertisement

There's been a rush on entries the past few days, however there still may be limited entry available on the morning. Bottle of wine for fastest boardsie, come up and introduce yourself on the day (I'm tall, bald, in Tinahely Tri top)
    Best of luck to everyone, hope you enjoy the race :)

EVENT TIMETABLE:

Race sign on and registration 07:45 to 09.30
    Race Briefing for competitors 09:45
    Event start 10:00
    Event Finish 12:00
    Cut-off time 12:00
    Prize-giving 12:30

Results

1 Noelie Kavanagh 01:02:04
    2 Patrick Quinn 01:04:35
    3 Martin Askins 01:05:17

1 Ellen Murphy 01:11:21
    2 Val Vaughan 01:20:04
    3 Aoife Reilly 01:21:03

A grand soft day down here, thankfully the overnight rain halted during the race. Roads didn't seem too slick, and no spills or crashes. No cows reported on the roads either, which is always a plus round these parts. Thanks to everyone who made the journey, we hope you had a good race and hopefully will see you again next year :)

(PS any Boardsies who went faster than 1:14:59? glugglugglug ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

1:18:33 for me. Great event - despite the rain before the start. Nice run with a mix of road and trail. I found the cycle very tough - lots of very steep hills. Didn't help that my tri shoes decided to detach from pedals heading out of transition.

Advertisement