Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccination

Options
  • 09-02-2016 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife is currently expecting and has been advised to get the flu vaccination due to the swine flu fatalities recently. The problem is, we're wondering whether the vaccine will have any repercussions on the baby? Obviously, we're assuming that they wouldn't just inject her with something if it was harmful to the baby, but for some reason we both have our doubts about it.

If anyone has an opinion, or has opted to take/not take the vaccine, we'd love to hear from you! Any feedback is welcome. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

It has been tested in pregnant women and shown to be safe.

I had the flu last week. Its a particularly bad strain going around this year, and apparently you get it much worse if pregnant. Fever in early pregnancy can be bad for baby too. If I were in her position Id definitely get the vaccine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Please take the doctor's advice on this. I've seen someone lose their baby due to fever with Swine Flu when it was first on the go 6 years ago.

I was pregnant at that time too and got the vaccine as soon as it was available. I had the seasonal flu vaccine too, and I had it on my subsequent pregnancy.

Look at it this way. They don't let you have anything in the pharmacy when you're pregnant, but they advise you strongly to get the flu vaccine. It saves lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I know it's a personal choice and it tends to be quite an emotive topic but I got the flu vaccine as well as the whooping cough vaccine (and was totally fine after both apart from the usual sore arm for a day or two!) - I'm 32 weeks at the moment.
    For me, it's just something I didn't feel comfortable leaving up to chance. I'm sure you know all too well the sheer amount of things pregnant women are told to stay away from or limit - if there was even a tiny chance of the vaccines having a detrimental effect on the baby, they wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

++++ to the above. A high temperature is very dangerous to a pregnant woman and her baby - I went into labour 4 weeks early due to a fever caused by a UTI. Please listen to your doctor on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Thanks for the replies! When you read the responses it's obvious that we should have it; this is our first and I suppose we're being extremely cautious about everything!

Thanks folks! This has alleviated our fears greatly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was strongly encouraged to get it by my midwives - I'm due in mid March so have been pregnant right the way through flu season, got the flu shot at 17 weeks and then the whooping cough one at 30 weeks. Sore arm for a day or two is a small price to pay for some protection against something that can be very serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I got it on this pregnancy and on my last one too.
    I too was worried about the fever side effects on the baby if I caught the flu.

I wouldn't hesitate to get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I was anxious at first about getting it due to stuff I had read online from those against it. However I caught a cold a few months back at around 17 weeks and felt horrible and it dragged on for ages with no ability to take anything to alleviate it. I spoke to my doctor, a midwife and pharmacist and all strongly recommended I get it, especially since I am asthmatic and more susceptible. So I got it and felt totally fine afterwards, didn't really have a sore arm or anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

My GP reccomended it at last apt (I was 10 weeks) & I was like 'sure am never sick' i'll be fine. Next thing was both my 8 yr old & 6 yr old were really sick one after the other. one def had the flu & wiped out for a week the other not sure if flu or virus but half the school was out sick - scared the life out of me - thank goodness sofar have escaped the worst of it I just got a bad cold! But have booked it to get it at my next apt on Mon I'll be 18 weeks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I know two women who went into premature labour due to having the flu - both babies spent time in the scbu and both mammies didn't see their babies for a few days as they were in isolation :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Got the flu jab before Christmas, whooping cough jab today. Actually talked to the nurse about a thread I'd seen here where some pregnant ladies were debating not getting the flu jab. She said the flu is hitting its stride right now and that there have been 11 deaths countrywide already this flu season. She also said there's been a spike in kids coming in with flu symptoms in the last two weeks.
    Bottom line for me was that the medical profession hesitate to recommend any drugs during pregnancy but are unanimous about administering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I thought I'd just come here to let you know that there has been a spike of Swine flu in the South Mayo region; a colleague of mind contracted it over the weekend.

Keep safe folks!

Advertisement