Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Families Going on Holiday - Bus Hire Dilema

Options
  • 09-02-2016 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi all,

This is a true story and I would appreciate your views.

1. Recently a group of us went skiing - 11 people in all, 5 Petersons, 4 O'Reillys and 2 Thompsons

2. We needed to get all 11 people from the airport to/from the ski resort which was 3 hours drive away. In previous years we have either hired a chaffeur driven bus OR hired separate cars.

3. For ease of calculation lets say that the price of the hired bus was €1,100.

Here's the Dilemma:

How much should each family contribute to the hiring of the bus?

Option A: Easy! €100 per head, therefore Petersons pay €500, O'Reilly's €400 and Thompsons €200. This logic may seem unfair to the Petersons who could have hired a car far cheaper than €500.

Option B: The alternative to hiring a bus was to hire a separate car for each family where the cost of car hire would have been FIXED. Therefore divide the total bus hire price by three. I.e. €1,100/3=€366 per family. This logic may seem unfair to the Thompsons who end up paying more than twice as much per head for the bus as the Petersons pay.

Option C:
    Some combination of Options A and B.

Option D: Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Total cost of bus hire split by how many people are travelling on the bus.....simples!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Why hire three cars when two would do? Them divide the total hire cost per person.

How is this a consumer issue Btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this as it's not a Consumer Issue. I suggest that the 3 families sit down and work this out.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement