Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a landlord refuse to rent to me?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you mean raise them to enable a single person afford a house share that's one thing but I cannot agree that rent allowance should be raised so that a person who isn't working can live alone while 1000s and 1000s of people working hard everyday and in receipt of no government assistance have to houseshare as they cannot afford to rent alone.

Interesting attitude. We who are old and sick are not to blame for our situations so this kind of discriminatory attitude is not appropriate. " a person who is not working " has the same needs and " rights" as anyone else and possibly more and different needs depending on their condition. Welfare state here if you had not realised the meaning of that? If I have to leave here I will accept whatever help I can get to live as I need to live given my medical and other needs and if that means a higher RA then so be it and very thankful for that. In the case in this thread the OP is actually ready to pay the entire rent from her disability, leaving herself perilously little to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

I have shared houses with people that were out of work and to be honest I wouldn't do it again.

They promise they will pay the rent , electricity , gas & what ever other bills are there and when it comes time to cough up for their share they have no money. Been stung once too often and don't want to be there again.

Because they are at home all day they are using more electricity , heating etc than normal. The others used the landlord as an excuse , so would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Bit of an overly complex thread.

Cutting to the chase people can discriminate left, right and centre, they just need to be smart about it.

When I was renting out rooms in my home under the rent a room scheme I would always tell a potential housemate when they called that there is another one that I promised the room to, and that I'm waiting to hear back from them. But if I don't hear back or they don't want it by the end of the day it's available to you.

That way, if the person seems dodgy, their story doesn't quite add up or myself or the others felt they just wouldn't work out I could blame things on the other person taking the room and avoid the truth. Believe me, over those years I have came across some many different types of people.

Another thread entirely on whether that is morally correct but it most definitely can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graces7 wrote: »
    a person who is not working " has the same needs and " rights" as anyone else and possibly more and different needs depending on their condition. Welfare state here if you had not realised the meaning of that?

Living alone is neither a need nor a right, except for a small proportion of people with particular mental illness which make it too difficult for them to live with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Living alone is neither a need nor a right, except for a small proportion of people with particular mental illness which make it too difficult for them to live with other people.

Not sure what you are getting at here? Yes a need. We are not clones, we who fall by the wayside of life. We are individuals who can be brutalised by society in ways which some posts here clearly reveal. If you are intent on looking at the Ops situation in the light of money maybe consider the alternative costs to the state of caring for someone in a care facility because they were refused appropriate accommodation elsewhere. For many of us, living alone is an absolute need and it is wisdom to help us to stay out of institutional care for as long as possible.. And thus by the very definition of a welfare state, a right. Small wonder the figures for B and B emergency accommodation are so high. The OP is willing to share and to pay the whole cost from her disability money which would leave here with little enough to live on. OP ,any news please?

• Advertisement

The OP is willing to share and to pay the whole cost from her disability money which would leave here with little enough to live on.

You can get RA in shared accommodation also you don't have to live alone to get it. Probably the best course of action would be for the op to initially not mention it and after a few months and showing they are a good tenant ask the LL to sign the forms then.

I agree there are a small number of people who do need to live alone but most don't, particularly young people. Its quite annoying when you are going out to work everyday, paying loads of tax and you have to share due to rent prices and then you see people on RA living alone or worse again (which has started happening in the estate I currently live) the council buying very nice houses and selling them to people on housing lists or whatever at a much reduced rate. If you look on the property price register there there are houses worth 200 to 250k being sold for under 100k absolutely sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you are intent on looking at the Ops situation in the light of money maybe consider the alternative costs to the state of caring for someone in a care facility because they were refused appropriate accommodation elsewhere.
    Living alone is only an option if you have the money to do so. If in a care facility, you'll be sharing the dorms with many other people.

Off-topic, but no-one is entitled to live the way they want to if they can't afford it.

Advertisement