Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing direct debit date?

Options
  • 09-02-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Is it possible to change the date when direct debit is taken out of my account? I'm only looking for it to be taken out a day later. The reason I'm asking is the date that it's due to come out of my account (Thursday), there will be nothing in my account until the next day (Friday). Oh the joys of house sharing and collecting bill money.  Is this something that can be done if I call the company?

Cheers,

Johnny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Johnny Carson,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

It is indeed possible for a direct debit to be deferred to a later date (and we can carry the process out here on Boards.ie via private message) however, only within a certain time-frame.

Is your bill due Thursday of this week (the 11th) or the following Thursday?

Thanks,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Hi Johnny Carson,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

It is indeed possible for a direct debit to be deferred to a later date (and we can carry the process out here on Boards.ie via private message) however, only within a certain time-frame.

Is your bill due Thursday of this week (the 11th) or the following Thursday?

Thanks,
    Una

________
    Thursday of this week. Is that too soon?

Hi again,

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately Thursday of this week would be past the cut-off point. The direct debit would already be presented to the bank for collection. Five working days (so weekends and bank holidays excluded) would be required to prevent the direct debit being automatically presented to the bank for collection.

At this point however, your bank may be able to put a stop on the direct debit; then you could get back in touch with us to arrange an alternative payment date (or the bill can be paid manually, but ensure to contact us again to reinstate your direct debit).

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Hi again,

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately Thursday of this week would be past the cut-off point. The direct debit would already be presented to the bank for collection. Five working days (so weekends and bank holidays excluded) would be required to prevent the direct debit being automatically presented to the bank for collection.

At this point however, your bank may be able to put a stop on the direct debit; then you could get back in touch with us to arrange an alternative payment date (or the bill can be paid manually, but ensure to contact us again to reinstate your direct debit).

Kind regards,
    Una

________
    Ahh grand,  I may cancel the direct debit, print off the bill and then just pay it in the post office if I'm able. Then reconnect the direct debit after I've done that. 

Additional question: if I leave it, and the payment fails on Thursday, will they try to take payment on the Friday? Will I be looking at a failed payment fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi there,

We would advise that, rather than cancelling the direct debit, you contact your bank and advise them you would like to place a hold on the payment due this Thursday, but would like to keep the direct debit in place. This should stop the amount from being returned to Electric Ireland as unpaid, which would cause a failed payment fee.

If you remove the direct debit and the amount is returned unpaid, or if the payment fails on Thursday, then an unpaid direct debit fee would apply. This fee is €6 through Electric Ireland, but there may be more charges applied through your bank.

Should the amount be returned as unpaid on your Electric Ireland account then the system will attempt to take the payment 14 days after the amount reappears on our system. This can take a number of working days, usually four to six days, to happen.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Advertisement

Hi there,

We would advise that, rather than cancelling the direct debit, you contact your bank and advise them you would like to place a hold on the payment due this Thursday, but would like to keep the direct debit in place. This should stop the amount from being returned to Electric Ireland as unpaid, which would cause a failed payment fee.

If you remove the direct debit and the amount is returned unpaid, or if the payment fails on Thursday, then an unpaid direct debit fee would apply. This fee is €6 through Electric Ireland, but there may be more charges applied through your bank.

Should the amount be returned as unpaid on your Electric Ireland account then the system will attempt to take the payment 14 days after the amount reappears on our system. This can take a number of working days, usually four to six days, to happen.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Brige

________
    That about answers my questions. Thanks very much for your help, Brige and Una. Have a good day :)

Same to you - and you are very welcome, we are happy to help! :)

________

Advertisement