Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an Offer

Options
  • 09-02-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Viewed on Fri. Thought about it over wknd. Called EA Monday morning to make my offer got voicemail so asked for a call back. Heard nothing by the afternoon so rang the office, was told EA out on viewings, I asked for a call back. Still nothing the following day. Is this normal? Do I need to call in to the office in person or send an email. I don't want to seem too eager but there's no offer made at the min & want to go in with lower offer than the asking. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, this is very typical that an agent won't return calls. Does the agency happen to begin with a D, end with a G and have an N in the middle?

Always email in your offer, whether or not you manage to speak to someone. Email the person directly *and* the info@ address for the agency.

They can't pretend the offer didn't happen if there's written evidence.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to make a formal offer on property <full address> of €XXX,XXX.

I am fully mortgage approved and willing to accommodate a fast sale.

<Name>
    <Contact Number>"

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

If you have a mobile number for the EA you could try that. Unfortunately you won't really know what is going on, it could be just they have a bad secretary who is not passing on your messages, or the EA is crap, or the property is on the market but not really for sale, or the EAs best friend,son/daughter etc wants to buy the property. There could be any number of things going on really. We offered €190K on a property last year, were then told there was an offer of 210K on the property, which we did not believe (we were sure it was a case of phantom bids) so we made no further offer. Property is now on the property price register sold for €150. You never really know what is going on with these things.

I'd call again and insist on speaking to the EA.

Thanks folks. I will try the email as I've called both the office & the EA's mobile with a 'please call me back'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dont get to emotional about it. Email the offer and cc as stated the info@ general email address for the office. Then sit back and expect silence for a while

• Advertisement

Dont get to emotional about it. Email the offer and cc as stated the info@ general email address for the office. Then sit back and expect silence for a while

I did, and received the silence too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Viewed on Fri. Thought about it over wknd. Called EA Monday morning to make my offer got voicemail so asked for a call back. Heard nothing by the afternoon so rang the office, was told EA out on viewings, I asked for a call back. Still nothing the following day. Is this normal? Do I need to call in to the office in person or send an email. I don't want to seem too eager but there's no offer made at the min & want to go in with lower offer than the asking. Any advice?

Put a deadline date in your email offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

if you can, call in person. I Had a nightmare with calling EAs trying to make offers. Was going around in circles for 18months, with one guy who "couldn't find the keys" to a house for 6 weeks.

Got fed up with it all and just drove to the office of the next guy (who had not been returning calls). Met him, drove to the house to view it, met the owner and had the deal done in 60mins. Moved in 5 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,710 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Send an email, say it stands until the following Friday, don't communicate at all after that, they can take it or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

BabySlam wrote: »
    Put a deadline date in your email offer.

Only if you're willing to abide by it. It's far more effective to put an offer in and continue to view with the same EA.

It has the benefit of yanking their chain a bit too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement