Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Asking For Sick Note

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

davo10 wrote: »
    Ya, he did, in earlier posts the op said his wife's GP is the other side of the country and she had never seen a GP where they live.

No he didnt.
    You have a chronic condition and and a history of repeated absences due to that condition which the GP is aware of.

I didnt say that, I said I have a long term illness. didnt say I miss a lot of work either.

Look, its all a bit off topic and I have already pointed out occasions where it happens they are written after the missed day. maybe when you are sick you ring around the entire country until you find someone who can see you today but most dont, most take the appointment the next day with their own GP. Believe me or do not, thats your choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

esforum wrote: »
    No he didnt.

I didnt say that, I said I have a long term illness. didnt say I miss a lot of work either.

Look, its all a bit off topic and I have already pointed out occasions where it happens they are written after the missed day. maybe when you are sick you ring around the entire country until you find someone who can see you today but most dont, most take the appointment the next day with their own GP. Believe me or do not, thats your choice

Op said:

"She does have her own Doctor from the place she used to live, where her family still live, he's known her all her life and he'd be happy to write a sick note or two for her. But then she might be asked why she went to the other side of the country when she was supposed to be off work with a bad back."

Are you saying you have an existing condition/long term/chronic illness, (ie not a one off ailment/opportunistic infection) you know your Doctor and s(he) knows your condition and will provide you with a cert when needed without you immediately attending? If yes, is that not what I posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op I don't think you are going to get answers on this thread, best thing to do is for your gf to make an appointment with a doctor and explain what happened. I know with my own gp if I rang up for an appointment I would never get one on the same day as she is always booked up. Last time I had to go see her I had to wait two days as she was booked up solid. So you might have trouble trying to get an appointment more than a cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Op said:

"She does have her own Doctor from the place she used to live, where her family still live, he's known her all her life and he'd be happy to write a sick note or two for her. But then she might be asked why she went to the other side of the country when she was supposed to be off work with a bad back."

Are you saying you have an existing condition/long term/chronic illness, (ie not a one off ailment/opportunistic infection) you know your Doctor and s(he) knows your condition and will provide you with a cert when needed without you immediately attending? If yes, is that not what I posted?

that statement does not say she never attended a local doctor, you assumed and were wrong, Thats ok, it happens.

I have an existing condition that sometimes keeps me from work and out of those times, sometimes I need a cert. I dont attend 6 months afterwards but I do not attend the exact day for a variety of reasons. I sometimes get random illnesses just like all other mere mortals

Lets just pick the easiest thing of all, I have a stomach bug. It only lasted Saturday night to Monday morning, typical 24 bug but I now need a cert as I was supposed to work Saturday and Sunday night. I call on Monday and only get an appointment for Tuesday.

Of course I could also get sick Monday morning, ring the doctor who is chock a block with patients that day so they give me an appointment for Tuesday. I get seen on Tuesday at which stage my stomachs OK and I intend to return to work Wednesday.

If you will only issue certs on day one, well all I can say is plenty of your colleagues will later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

She had a sore back because on Saturday some idiot junkie walked past her in town and knocked her to the ground, probably didn't realise what he had done.

So although she could have gone in work Monday she was a little sore but well enough to work. She knows she's dug a hole for herself by saying she went to the doctors.

The employer have been urging her to stay off work for another couple of days even though she's been saying she's well enough, they have refused to allow her to work. But they must be medical professionals if they think another 2 days is enough?

Oh dear I'm beginning to see where this might be going... If she had a back injury serious enough to need medical attention then she is not fit for work and the employer would be leaving themselves open to a claim if they allowed her to continue to work! Are you sure they are only asking for sick certificate? I would be surprised if they are expecting the certificate to confirm she is fit for work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Go to the doctor and get certified to return to work. No need to take anymore days off then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Oh dear I'm beginning to see where this might be going... If she had a back injury serious enough to need medical attention then she is not fit for work and the employer would be leaving themselves open to a claim if they allowed her to continue to work! Are you sure they are only asking for sick certificate? I would be surprised if they are expecting the certificate to confirm she is fit for work!

Not sure what you're getting at with that. It's going nowhere, no intention of putting any sort of claim in. I already understand the employer is looking after their interests, that's fine. They are only looking for a sick note for the Monday as far as I know. Partner will explain to the doc that she returned today but was told not to work, will see if the doc is willing to write a sick note. If not she will have to make do with some sort of certificate to show she's fine to return to work and deal with any employment consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Not sure what you're getting at with that. It's going nowhere, no intention of putting any sort of claim in. I already understand the employer is looking after their interests, that's fine. They are only looking for a sick note for the Monday as far as I know. Partner will explain to the doc that she returned today but was told not to work, will see if the doc is willing to write a sick note. If not she will have to make do with some sort of certificate to show she's fine to return to work and deal with any employment consequences.

I think what he means is that her employers know she has a back injury and is worried that she may do more damage by returning to work. They may want a statement that she's fit for work before allowing her to return. If she were not for were work and was allowed return and she then went in to do more damage, a claim could be filed. The employer is trying to protect them selves from this.

Doctor asked her how long she's been off she said since Monday, doctor wrote sick note from Monday and advised her to take today off and return tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Doctor asked her how long she's been off she said since Monday, doctor wrote sick note from Monday and advised her to take today off and return tomorrow.

This is exactly why many employers treat certified sick leave the same as uncertified when it comes to performance reviews and promotion opportunities. In the past we've even had to refuse certs from a particular doctor as they were giving certs without even seeing patients.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Does she get paid for Sick days?

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Does she get paid for Sick days?

No sick pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

No sick pay.

So if she doesnt get sick pay and her employer will not mark it down as Annual leave it has cost her alot?

Doctor = €50

Pay per day €90?X3 =€270

total cost €320 to your OH?

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    So if she doesnt get sick pay and her employer will not mark it down as Annual leave it has cost her alot?

Doctor = €50

Pay per day €90?X3 =€270

total cost €320 to your OH?

Employer has her down as sick all week and have done the payroll for the week already so has cost her a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Her employer has forced her to take an extra 2 days off and used the time off as annual leave. I understand this is of her own making. I'm looking for answers in how this stands in law. As someone already said, surely they can't book her down as a holiday and ask for a sick note at the same time and have it both ways? Sure they can request a sick note, but so what, they can request all they want, she isn't obliged to give it is she?

Imagine if she had just rang the boss Monday morning and said "I fell on Saturday and I'm still a bit sore. Would it be possible or me to have a days holiday today? Sorry for the inconvenience"

Everyone has 20/20 hindsight.

She's getting the silent treatment from me right now until I calm down.

Everyone has 20/20 hindsight.

She's getting the silent treatment from me right now until I calm down.

IMHO its worth a try to phone the boss right now and be absolutely honest about what happened, apologise and ask if she can come back to work this afternoon.
    you said that theyre decent people. Everybody tells little white lies from time to time. she should just bite the bullet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IMHO its worth a try to phone the boss right now and be absolutely honest about what happened, apologise and ask if she can come back to work this afternoon.
    you said that theyre decent people. Everybody tells little white lies from time to time. she should just bite the bullet.

Hasn't her doctor told her to stay home today?

Employees are entitled to an uncertified sick day.

no theyre not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh no they are not, there is nothing in legislation that restricts employers in asking for a sick cert regardless of the length of absence.

Is there anything in legislation that compels an employee to provide a sick note in order to avail of sick leave?

It's quite rare to be asked for a sick note to cover one day's absence, though not unheard of. I don't know why the OP doesn't simply return to the doctor for a sick note at this stage. The doctor doesn't have to see you when you're sick in order to issue it. It seems like this is a small lie that is quickly escalating. She should get the sick note now and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Is there anything in legislation that compels an employee to provide a sick note in order to avail of sick leave?

It's quite rare to be asked for a sick note to cover one day's absence, though not unheard of. I don't know why the OP doesn't simply return to the doctor for a sick note at this stage. The doctor doesn't have to see you when you're sick in order to issue it. It seems like this is a small lie that is quickly escalating. She should get the sick note now and be done with it.

No but company policy can require a sick note for a days absence.

And they have gone to the doctor and gotten a cert.

She's as stubborn as they come, I've already tried telling her to bite the bullet and face the consequences but she won't.

She could turn up for work tomorrow but she won't get paid until a week on Friday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

no theyre not.

Sorry:o, subject to the terms of their employment contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

She's as stubborn as they come, I've already tried telling her to bite the bullet and face the consequences but she won't.

She could turn up for work tomorrow but she won't get paid until a week on Friday now.

Can't help feeling that there's a bit of karma here for jumping to a lie first thing with the employer. I do say this as a people manager so I'm probably biased. Maybe the employer figured it out and made her jump through hoops as a result.

_Brian wrote: »
    Can't help feeling that there's a bit of karma here for jumping to a lie first thing with the employer. I do say this as a people manager so I'm probably biased. Maybe the employer figured it out and made her jump through hoops as a result.

Me either so don't worry.

She won't be doing it again anyway so for anyone out there in a similar situation, I hope you read this thread and take heed!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

can she not just go dr, tell them she has slight back pain but feels ok to return to work?

Larsso30 wrote: »
    can she not just go dr, tell them she has slight back pain but feels ok to return to work?

She has and the doctor said she can return, her employer has her down as sick all week though but she's going back in tomorrow, she just won't get paid for this week until next week.

Advertisement