Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I just buy base layers and compression tops and surfing rash guards. Same job half the price.

I don't know about being the same, I can't speak for other brands but our rashies use triple overlock stitching and the material is also much more durable - it's not standard rashguard material.

I am not saying that base layers and surfing rashies are not up to scratch... but I know that ours are designed to withstand the grabbing and pulling associated with MMA/ BJJ and the material and extra stitching costs more, plus the printing is sublimated so it will never wear off. We could get them done a lot cheaper but we would rather take less margin and have a better product that won't fail.

Just my 2 cents anyhow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

UAE Jiu Jitsu Federation just announced extra world pro qualifiers for next year. 3 in Australia. Gonna make a big effort for these comps. Will be tough jumping into absolute. No guts no glory.
    There's a under77kg open at one of them which will be perfect for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Random topic, Whats the norm on paying for promotions and gradings? how normal is it? under my old coach you got promoted randomly and put through the ringer for it, coach im training under now is running a ''seminar'' by himself and grading doesnt feel right paying for a stripe or belt, understand buying loads of belt isnt cheap but this isnt under the guise of a club fundraiser which I'd understand, wont be paying it am I wrong or?

Gamebred wrote: »
    Random topic, Whats the norm on paying for promotions and gradings? how normal is it? under my old coach you got promoted randomly and put through the ringer for it, coach im training under now is running a ''seminar'' by himself and grading doesnt feel right paying for a stripe or belt, understand buying loads of belt isnt cheap but this isnt under the guise of a club fundraiser which I'd understand, wont be paying it am I wrong or?
    I think it depends on the specifics. There's also a difference in paying €10 to cover the cost of the belt and paying a €60 grading fee. If seminar is just slotted in for a certain nights BJJ class, and its a bit of demonstration and rolling. Then it's a bit much to expect people to pay. But if it's additional separate small group session, where you are getting something out if it, then maybe it's ok. A good way to judge would be if it was still worth paying for if the grading wasn't included, ie does the seminar have value on its own.

For example, my coach's grading involved demonstrating a full syllabus. There's a lot to it so took me a good few sessions before Saturday classes. These often turned into 1-on-1's sessions were certain aspects needed more detail. There is no fee in my gym, so I basically got a load of private training for free. But I'd have been ok with a small fee to cover the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    I understand why my coach does it his way. Certain aspects he wants to retain. But I would actually prefer if it was as you describe as above. I'd rather just focus on getting better and not worry about finishing a syllabus.
    White to blue was fine. I knew when I was ready for blue. Blue to purple is vague AF imo.

Lads, I'm back in Ireland for Christmas and planning on getting in some training/rolling while I'm here. It looks like SBG Longmile will be the handiest, but open to suggestions. Id be good to have a boards Christmas roll.
    Actually does anyone know if the SBG christmas roll still happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mellor wrote: »
    Lads, I'm back in Ireland for Christmas and planning on getting in some training/rolling while I'm here. It looks like SBG Longmile will be the handiest, but open to suggestions. Id be good to have a boards Christmas roll.

Where are you staying when your back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The SBG Christmas Roll, do you remember them?.. I was only talking about that yesterday.. This year I'll be in the rolling waves for a Christmas Day swim on Portmarnock beach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seemingly happening this year 10:30 - 12:30.
    Prob an idea to send them a message about getting down if you're not a member

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »

Where are you staying when your back?
    Yeah probably should of said. Staying back in Dublin with the aul pair :D
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Seemingly happening this year 10:30 - 12:30.
    Prob an idea to send them a message about getting down if you're not a member
    Cheers. My brother will be with me, he's a member. And I've been in touch with them about training there generally so hopefully it's ok. But I'll double check. Is there a Facebook group I can check or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah probably should of said. Staying back in Dublin with the aul pair :D

Cheers. My brother will be with me, he's a member. And I've been in touch with them about training there generally so hopefully it's ok. But I'll double check. Is there a Facebook group I can check or anything
    Just the normal SBG facebook group or drop em a mail. They're usually grand with non members coming down but no harm checking seeing as it'll be Christmas day and all.

Who's your bro if you don't mind me asking? Wondering if I know him/have rolled with him at any point.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just the normal SBG facebook group or drop em a mail. They're usually grand with non members coming down but no harm checking seeing as it'll be Christmas day and all.

Who's your bro if you don't mind me asking? Wondering if I know him/have rolled with him at any point.
    Was down there this morning for a roll. Was no issue. My brother came too, he's in Roddy's teenage group so you probably haven't rolled with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was down there this morning for a roll. Was no issue. My brother came too, he's in Roddy's teenage group so you probably haven't rolled with him.

Big turnout?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Big turnout?

They posted on the Irish Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Facebook page yesterday inviting everyone down.

If I'd been a little closer I would have made the journey.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Big turnout?
    About 15 I'd say. From white to black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I was wondering where I could buy a good rashguard top?  I am planning to start BJJ soon and need one for that.  I'm based in the north so any places that deliver or where I could pick one up would be good.
    Also are there any things I should look out for when buying a rashguard?  I read something online about buying one that is made up of at least 4 segments?  I don't know much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

veganrun wrote: »
    I was wondering where I could buy a good rashguard top?  I am planning to start BJJ soon and need one for that.  I'm based in the north so any places that deliver or where I could pick one up would be good.
    Also are there any things I should look out for when buying a rashguard?  I read something online about buying one that is made up of at least 4 segments?  I don't know much about them.

Loads of lads I train with just use the ones from Pennies Or any old compression top.

If you only want to get into it, a tshirt is fine. No use spending loads before you know if you like it.

Just wear a tee shirt for awhile unless the club won't allow it.

Most people beginning martial arts drop put fairly quickly so my advice is always to keep the expenses low, esp in your first 18 months when most beginners have fallen by the wayside.

There really is an alarming amount of people that will train for 6 months and then you never see them again.

Getting chocked and squashed isn't for everyone I guess, just those of us that come pre-damaged. :pac:

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    There really is an alarming amount of people that will train for 6 months and then you never see them again.

Getting chocked and squashed isn't for everyone I guess, just those of us that come pre-damaged. :pac:

I notice it happens with a lot of the bigger/stronger/fitter guys who are constantly bettered by smaller/weaker guys.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I notice it happens with a lot of the bigger/stronger/fitter guys who are constantly bettered by smaller/weaker guys.

Those and even smaller dudes with big egos.
    Of course, the first year of being constantly tapped out after the whole, "go easy on the new guy" period is over is no fun but you have good an bad days.
    Hell, 3 and a bit years in I still have days when I'm a rag doll to be twisted and broken but that's the game.

I fear skinny guys. They're much faster than I am and their little wrists will slip under any chin.

I'd say taking a beating is only a tiny bit of the reason for the big fall off. If people are to be honest about it, most people just don't like to break a sweat.

People seeing a bit of grappling and think 'ah, easy' ~ easy my arse!. Then they think there are secret tricks to get someone submitted easy, without effort or thought.

Then other's find its just not grabbing their imagination and for no other reason they're bored and feck off.

But I'd say the big guy being beaten by the little guy and fecking off isn't really the reality.. Oh, I hate smaller skinny guys too :p

The club in question are happy enough with just a rash guard type top/t-shirt and shorts for their classes to start with.  I think though eventually they want new people to buy a gi but I'm not sure when that is, but I won't worry about that now.

They have a few beginners BJJ classes each week and the first week or two is free so I plan to head down in the next couple of weeks once I'm back there.

I think my big fear is just getting frustrated and giving up.  I know at the start I won't know anything really but I guess what would frustrate me is if I felt like I was making no progress.  I kind of see myself constantly being pinned/submitted and just sort of flailing around not being able to do anything about it.  Although I'm guessing that's the reason they have beginners classes.

I want to get fit, lose weight and increase my confidence.  I've never been the most confident fella around and always seem to fear s*** and I want to get over that.  Plus I want/need to meet new people as I've recently moved to a new city and I know almost no-one and need to do something about that.

The place in question run other MA classes too which I think could be fun to do for fitness etc, but I sort of have this strange urge to try BJJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You can buy a base layer/compression top for €8 in Penneys.

They have a cheaper one for €6 but it's crap, the €8 ones are actually decent. I use one under my gi fairly regularly and it hasn't given up after about 6 months.

The club in question are happy enough with just a rash guard type top/t-shirt and shorts for their classes to start with.  I think though eventually they want new people to buy a gi but I'm not sure when that is, but I won't worry about that now.

They have a few beginners BJJ classes each week and the first week or two is free so I plan to head down in the next couple of weeks once I'm back there.

I think my big fear is just getting frustrated and giving up.  I know at the start I won't know anything really but I guess what would frustrate me is if I felt like I was making no progress.  I kind of see myself constantly being pinned/submitted and just sort of flailing around not being able to do anything about it.  Although I'm guessing that's the reason they have beginners classes.

I want to get fit, lose weight and increase my confidence.  I've never been the most confident fella around and always seem to fear s*** and I want to get over that.  Plus I want/need to meet new people as I've recently moved to a new city and I know almost no-one and need to do something about that.

The place in question run other MA classes too which I think could be fun to do for fitness etc, but I sort of have this strange urge to try BJJ.

Ok well just bear this in mind, you're going to go through some of the toughest, most frustrating days and that's a fact.. But for some that's the 'switch on', they go home and think about their BJJ (or Judo, TKD etc) and they start to break down their game, plan ahead, learn lessons and go back to do it all again;

'Get knocked down seven times, get up eight'

Sometimes you'll get extended periods like that, you hit a plateau ~ but you have to plan your way over and around it and not give up.

Seriously you're going to have those days, get that into your head. But you can learn to get over them.. I often remind myself 'Right you're already hurt, keep going and get something out of this'.

Ok well just bear this in mind, you're going to go through some of the toughest, most frustrating days and that's a fact.. But for some that's the 'switch on', they go home and think about their BJJ (or Judo, TKD etc) and they start to break down their game, plan ahead, learn lessons and go back to do it all again;

'Get knocked down seven times, get up eight'

Sometimes you'll get extended periods like that, you hit a plateau ~ but you have to plan your way over and around it and not give up.

Seriously you're going to have those days, get that into your head. But you can learn to get over them.. I often remind myself 'Right you're already hurt, keep going and get something out of this'.

Yeah the closest thing I had that would be similar would be when I started jogging a few years ago.  I was doing the couch to 5k and I got so frustrated those first few weeks.  I was finding it really hard and after one particular session I felt like giving up.  I was so frustrated, fed up and kind of feeling a bit upset that I was finding it so hard.  I was close to giving up but decided to stick at it and slow my pace and it made all the difference.  

Of course it could turn out it just might not be for me, but I won't know unless I try and give it a chance.

The most frustrating part for me used to be getting a good position and not knowing what to do next.
    Having mount, knowing an arm bar exists but not knowing how to get there.

Then there's the whole "I can run 10k so I can roll around on my back. No problem!" problem.
    It's just such a unique type of fitness that's needed for BJJ and it's one that only comes from doing BJJ.
    It's a lot of fun, probably twice as confusing as a striking MA (I do both, so that's me personally) but it's easily my favourite style.

If it's a good club, you shouldn't spend too much time pinned down because good training partners know that it helps no one to pick on the new guy.
    OSS!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Then there's the whole "I can run 10k so I can roll around on my back. No problem!" problem.
    It's just such a unique type of fitness that's needed for BJJ and it's one that only comes from doing BJJ.

Try some Judo ;)

Put it this way, when I need rest I do more BJJ & cut back on the Judo!.

But both are a great workout and hugely enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Advertisement