Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Youtube helped me a lot starting off, when I first started the warm ups alone were some shock all the inversions and stuff its good to practice at home plenty stuff on youtube on them, and its worth noting you will be fairly sore after the first few sessions it will go away after your muscles get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

darced wrote: »
    A good helping hand starting BJJ is to do a bit of studying of the art, watch techniques, competition matches or even get a few books. There is tons of free high quality content available on youtube.

The more you can become aware of positions and techniques the quicker you will learn.

Just to add to this - I love watching some of Stuart Cooper's videos. I'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Try some Judo ;)

Put it this way, when I need rest I do more BJJ & cut back on the Judo!.

But both are a great workout and hugely enjoyable.

Stand up, get thrown, stand up, get thrown, stand up, get thrown.
    Fuuuuck that. :p
    I'll pul gaurd and work my De La Riva all day. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm at it two years now (rolling 6 months ish) and still get subbed constantly.
    I consider it a good day when I don't get tapped by everyone I roll with.

I'm the same as the above though, get a decent position and think "I know there's loads of subs from here, but how do I get to that point?"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When you a new white belt, your a target, you'll be getting tapped all the time. Then you become a advanced white belt and start tapping the new guys more.
    Then you get your blue belt and you're a target again, the purples stop going easy on you, the whites want to "beat" you. After a year you might be a competitive blue belt.
    Then if you get a purple belt, target again. Blues want to get that purple-tap badge, browns and blacks know they can no longer play around.
    And so on...

It's a never ending cycle, or at least it shouldn't be if you want to keep improving. Some people are happy to get to about blue belt and float in and out for a few years. Which is fine, it's a huge time investment otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Back to training after work today, I can't wait!

Time for the patterned "2 Boxes of Celebrations Mount" to be unleashed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My first proper night back was last night. Feel like I've been run over today. Lobbed 10lbs on over Christmas to add to the 10lbs I piled on in my holidays in November and December so I was a less than spectacular 230lbs heading back.

Fortunately for me (not those I rolled with last night) I managed to avoid my back for the most part so I was able to roll my lardy gut on top of a few poor unfortunates and take a breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Heading back to SBG tonight after an abductor tear in December and can't wait.
    Targeting getting my Blue belt before I turn 50 in Jan 2018.

It's never too late to start!

First night back in a while with the holidays and work being a bollix. Now to show off my newfound mount skillz*

*Fatness

MagicIRL wrote: »

My body hurts all over but I feel fantastic :D

Side note, the patterned "2 Boxes of Celebrations Mount" is a lie and did nothing to save me from the suffering. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I do that too, but mine is more like "the fat guy ate more chocolates" mount. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just thought I would post this for the newbies or those who have recently started BJJ... had posted it on our facebook page :-)

If you are starting BJJ this year, congrats on making a decision that will change your life for the better. If you are holding off to when you lose some weight or fitter, forget about that. Training in BJJ will make you lose weight and become fitter so just start and stop putting it off!!!!

So, for all the new white belts, here are some tips that I hope will help you along the way :-)

(1) You will spend a lot of the initial few months getting dominated. This happens with EVERYONE so you are not terrible at BJJ, you are not unique, you just need to accept this and start to learn the basics. That begins with being comfortable with being dominated and being in uncomfortable positions, and most importantly learning not to panic when you are in these uncomfortable positions.

(2) Focus on the basics and forget about submissions in the beginning. Learn how to defend before you learn how to attack. Having a great looking house is pointless if there are no foundations! Royce Gracie focused solely on becoming next to impossible to submit when he began BJJ. Keep your enemies close but your elbows closer is a good rule for beginners.

(3) Tapping is vital to your progression. It's not a sign of weakness and you learn more from your losses than you will ever learn from your victories. Take a moment to figure out where you went wrong and if you need to ask what happened, then ask and find out how you can stop that from happening again.

(4) If your are naturally strong, try and refrain from using strength as this will slow your progression. A lot of strong people tend to start off very well but as you progress this strength is nullified by technique and you will end up falling behind to those whom you used to dominate with pure strength. Having strength will always be beneficial but having technique is vital to progression. You will also find that you gas out far quicker if you are just using brute force so try to refrain and use technique. You may get submitted more but this is a good thing and it will stand to you in the future.

(5) Don't avoid higher belts or those who are better. It's human nature to try and avoid those who will dominate you but if you are just making a beeline to those who you know you will beat, you won't progress. You need to test yourself and this will involve going outside your comfort zone. Don't be afraid of higher belts, they are actually safer to roll with as they have control over their technique so there is actually less chance of sustaining an injury. They will also teach you as you go so embrace them and ask questions.

(6) Avoid YouTube and trying to learn too much too quickly. I have seen many newbies getting completely overwhelmed because they have a hundred things going on in their head. Most black belts have a fundamental game of go-to moves and although they know a lot more, they have developed a solid game of what works for them. As Bruce Lee said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times". As you progress and have a solid defence, then you can look at how to improve the other parts of your game and YouTube is a great resource for that.

(7) A slight contradiction to the above but valid nonetheless is to not just focus on one thing. A lot of white belts find success with the likes of a kimura and therefore constantly hunt for it. Don't get caught in this rut as although you will find success initially, it will hold you back as you progress. I am not saying focusing on developing and perfecting a specific submission is wrong, just don't solely focus on what is working. Your instructor might show you some things and they may not click with you initially, but down the line in a year or 2, they may click and become a solid part of your game.

(8) Don't try and force yourself into a style because everyone else is getting it. It takes a long time to find a game what suits you, most people only figure their game and style out at purple belt. Don't beat yourself up because you haven't figured out what suits your game... it doesn't happen like an epiphany, it's just something that comes over time.

(9) Respect your coach and team mates. Don't be the person that nobody wants to roll with.

(10) Enjoy training and don't focus on getting belts. They will come when they are earned, so just focus on being a little better each time.

(11) Last and probably the most valid is hygiene, hygiene, hygiene, hygiene... always wear flip flops, come to training clean, clip your nails and if you have an infection (ringworm, staph) don't train. Likewise if you have a cold, flu, vomiting bug... don't train.

Richy06 wrote: »
    I do that too, but mine is more like "the fat guy ate more chocolates" mount. :rolleyes:
    And your mount is horrible before the "more chocolates" :)

Got murdered last night and was knackered by the end of the warm up. Couldn't get my head around the end of the sequence we were being shown - some form of berimbolo maneuver, too big and inflexible for that at the mo.

All in all, a great first night back. didn't realise how much I missed it until I was heading home.
    Also got to break in my new Wolfhound Gi so that's always a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Here lads, for the new and the old.

If you're feeling in any way sniffly or like you have a cold/flu/anything coming on, don't "tough it out" and go roll anyway.

Spreading your germs to your training partners isn't cool, mmkay?

If you think you might be getting sick, stay home until you are better, even if it's "just a sniffle".

Some little four letter word decided he'd "harden up and get on with it" and now I'm coming down with man flu.

Pray for me brethren.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I am dying of a cold/flu/whatever at the minute and it's killing me looking at my clubs group chat, seeing everyone talk about what they're at and what time there arriving.
    I just want to train.

There is the advantage of bed rest...

I find myself stuck in half guard a lot. I don't believe my half guard is in any way good or particularly threatening, but I seem to hold a lot of people in it without really being able to escape on my terms, but rather after they've made a mistake.

My goal for the start of 2017 is to figure out what the feck I'm doing wrong and work from there. I was jumping in to half guard like a lunatic during my last class and just seeing how things played out. I like that lock-down for when I need to catch my breath and recover, and have managed to sweep once or twice from their when they push in to me or re-act to the hook, but would rather something more basic and reliable.

Anyone recommend any go-to sweeps from it? Normally I recover an open guard and hit a Hip-Bump, Tripod or Double Leg/Double Hip sweep and come up on top, but get stuck if they beat me to the cross face and I'm flattened out.

I find myself stuck in half guard a lot. I don't believe my half guard is in any way good or particularly threatening, but I seem to hold a lot of people in it without really being able to escape on my terms, but rather after they've made a mistake.

My goal for the start of 2017 is to figure out what the feck I'm doing wrong and work from there. I was jumping in to half guard like a lunatic during my last class and just seeing how things played out. I like that lock-down for when I need to catch my breath and recover, and have managed to sweep once or twice from their when they push in to me or re-act to the hook, but would rather something more basic and reliable.

Anyone recommend any go-to sweeps from it? Normally I recover an open guard and hit a Hip-Bump, Tripod or Double Leg/Double Hip sweep and come up on top, but get stuck if they beat me to the cross face and I'm flattened out.

From half guard I generally have 5 things that work:

#1 is deep half to electric chair sweep (I don't do the full electric chair, unless the person I am rolling with is a dick).

#2 is to go deep again with the lockdown and then grab their other foot... ie if you have lockdown on their right leg, go deep with your right hand and cup their left foot at the toes with your right hand and then roll to your left.

#3 is the get an underhook on the side you have the half on and 'swim' under to take the back

#4 is gi only and take an inside deep collar grip and push your forearm across their neck, if they are trying to flatten you out push the elbow of the hand you have the collar grip you have upwards and the reach around the back of their neck with your other hand and grab your elbow - its a nice choke

#5 is gi again, get baseball bat grips and allow them to escape the half guard so they are going for side, once they are clearing your legs spin the opposite way and you have a solid and very tight baseball choke :-)

Couldn't wait until next week to start back so called into SBG yesterday for a class. (12pm if anyone was there btw).
    Was bolixed of it, definitely carrying some extra Christmas padding.

Bottom half is one of my more frequent positions lately. I find it's more dynamic that's closed guard. So not as easy to just curl up defensively for the guy on top.

I often grab a kimura grip and either get the sub or sweep.
    If I can't get the grip then I try getbthe under hook (on the lock down side) and duck under to the back. If they pressure back I undertook the fair leg and rock back sweep.
    Alternatively with the underhook I grab their other foot and pull it in to sweep that was (often called old school sweep).
    After doing that last one a few times they'll keep their foot posted out, which sets up the electric chair sweep (and sub).

Half guard is all about options and forcing them to create one opening when they shut down another.

I guess I should fight for the back more. I know I could get the underhook but I'm tunnel-visioning on a sweep or sub so often not even trying to get it to swim under.

• Advertisement

I like half guard but it took a lot of time getting smashed to feel comfortable in it. A lot of half guard is as Mellor points out about making your opponent make the mistake and then having the tools to punish it.

If you are constantly using one technique, try others and get subbed in the process. You will then make the necessary tweaks to get it to work and then you will have options.

I also like the kimura from HG, forgot to add that one and even if you threaten it, they can pull it back which makes the sweep a lot easier or you can get some nice wrists locks when then pull back.

Keep trying new things... get subbed, get subbed, get subbed, get subbed, get subbed, get subbed, get subbed, no sub, no sub, no sub, no sub, no sub, starts working, starts working, starts working, starts working, working now, working now, working now, working now, start perfecting, start perfecting, start perfecting, start perfecting, works great move to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I recommend you come down to more classes like you used to. :pac: :p

I've been covering half guard bottom stuff in my classes, I know John has recently too....plenty of options for sweeps and subs, not to mention structural details of frames and postures to enable you to apply the pressures required to make the space required to pull off these sweep 'n' subs! :-D

Alternatively, grab me next time you see me and we'll figure some things out. xx

Richy06 wrote: »
    I recommend you come down to more classes like you used to. :pac: :p

I've been covering half guard bottom stuff in my classes, I know John has recently too....plenty of options for sweeps and subs, not to mention structural details of frames and postures to enable you to apply the pressures required to make the space required to pull off these sweep 'n' subs! :-D

Alternatively, grab me next time you see me and we'll figure some things out. xx

2017; new year new me hun xx

Ironically as I type this I have to miss class today, but I'll be on that Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday routine from next week... have to settle for Tue/Sat this week ;)

I miss my Richy fundementals class. :cool:

Come teach me your ways on Sat!

Tazzimus wrote: »
    And your mount is horrible before the "more chocolates" :)
    Also got to break in my new Wolfhound Gi so that's always a plus.

Any feedback is always appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

If you want to get a good half-guard my advice is not to focus on "techniques" like sweeps. Strip it back down to fundamentals:

1. Are you pinching the trapped leg between yours? This shuts down your mobility and offence. You need to adhere to the leg using outward pressure rather than holding on to it.

2. How is your posture? Are you able to stay on your side? If not why not? Is your outside leg mobility compromised by pinching? Are you getting crossfaced easily, implying that you're allowing too much room between your head and the opponent.

3. Once you're happy with your posture and your opponent has to battle to flatten you out, how is your movement? Can you move back, forward and under when the opportunity is there? If not are you allowing your bottom leg (the driver of nearly all half guard sweeps) to be controlled?

Once you have your pressure, posture and movement sorted, then the whole gamut of attacks are there and you can pick and choose which suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

This is great info guys. Stuff to try tomorrow morning.

Clive wrote: »
    If you want to get a good half-guard my advice is not to focus on "techniques" like sweeps. Strip it back down to fundamentals:
    1. Are you pinching the trapped leg between yours? This shuts down your mobility and offence. You need to adhere to the leg using outward pressure rather than holding on to it.

Regarding this, I find I more often than not end up with my leg figure-foured on my opponent's trapped leg, or else on the trapped side's hip and acting as a knee shield when I'm keeping him/her off me. I find it hard to keep the knee shield in place and often it gets collapsed which sort of sends me back to my figure four to prevent them passing and then I struggle to regain the knee-shield as they're hunting a cross face and I'm ultimately defending until they tire or space opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Looking to start MMA, based in leixlip, any advice for gyms? Am a complete novice to any combat sport but would be quite athletic.

Also, what are the initial costs?
    Any help much appeciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Well myself and Richy spent an hour or so doing half guard today and it was eye opening. Can't wait to work it now live rolling!

Credit to the man as a coach to explain the details of the position in an easy to understand way.

Advertisement