Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Watch you wont be stuck in Half guard bottom once for the next class or 2 while everything is fresh in your mind, always the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Gamebred wrote: »
    Watch you wont be stuck in Half guard bottom once for the next class or 2 while everything is fresh in your mind, always the same.

That's when good old closed guard comes in to play :pac:

58d1c6ef80d869bf78f0c1d218acdd5f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Miyao's are insane. Not tapping to this toe hold is crazy. I bet he was limping afterwards
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPBQe7VgFM8/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNnYQ_wAFxg/?taken-by=lucaslepri&hl=en

Nice sequence for the bolo players among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Mellor wrote: »
    The Miyao's are insane. Not tapping to this toe hold is crazy. I bet he was limping afterwards
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPBQe7VgFM8/

Jesus H. Christy. That is disgusting. Some serious flexibility there.

Always a pleasure, MagicIRL!

• Advertisement

Richy06 wrote: »
    Jesus H. Christy. That is disgusting. Some serious flexibility there.
    I honestly think it's partially serious flexibility, and partially a refusal to tap. I've heard stories of guys hearing **** pop and snap with Miyao didn't tap, won the match, and limped off the mat.
    They'll be crippled at 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'd believe it tbh. My foot flexibility has gone through a bit of a transformation in the last year. I got a bad footlock that kept me out of training for a while. When I was rehabbing it, my S&C coach showed me how much flexibility was actually trapped up in the tissue of my calves, ankles and feet. I've gained a lot of flexibility in the last year that I never thought I had. So guys like the Miyao bros, who do very little other than train, are probably stupidly flexible along with that toughness and aversion to tapping.

Yeah that true. It's even possible that letting people wreck your feet like that could increase laxity by stretching the ligaments. Some minor ones may even be missing completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Reminded me of the time Royler Gracie didn't tap against Eddie Bravo - the last minute of this video is painful to watch

]

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Hi folks,

a couple of years ago I went along to a bjj class for a couple of months. I have a gi and belt (nothing fancy) I would like to sell - where is a good place to do so? I had a look at adverts.ie but didn't see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Rolled with some new guys during the week who have moved from beginners to intermediates. I'm quite new myself, only a few months experience on them but 1 of them seemed like he was going out of their way to try and break a part of my body. He cranked my neck around like a rag doll while my hands were trapped under him (he was considerably bigger than me). I told him to relax that it was only rolling after I managed to free my hands and tap. We reset and he swiftly followed up by punching me in the nose (unintentional) when he tried to pass my guard and kneeing my in the jaw when he got side control.

Does anyone here deal with this in a specific way or just refuse to roll with them in the future? My neck is in agony as i'm typing this and afraid i'll have to miss training next week due to it. Never had this problem before because everyone always looks out for each other since it's just rolling and not a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Just mention to your coach. sometimes all it takes is a quiet word in the guys ear. Sometimes it takes being ragdolled by a big purple belt ;)

I'd avoid this type of person when it comes to rolling, open mat etc, especially if you dont have the skill set yet to control the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

TheSegal wrote: »
    Rolled with some new guys during the week who have moved from beginners to intermediates. I'm quite new myself, only a few months experience on them but 1 of them seemed like he was going out of their way to try and break a part of my body. He cranked my neck around like a rag doll while my hands were trapped under him (he was considerably bigger than me). I told him to relax that it was only rolling after I managed to free my hands and tap. We reset and he swiftly followed up by punching me in the nose (unintentional) when he tried to pass my guard and kneeing my in the jaw when he got side control.

Does anyone here deal with this in a specific way or just refuse to roll with them in the future? My neck is in agony as i'm typing this and afraid i'll have to miss training next week due to it. Never had this problem before because everyone always looks out for each other since it's just rolling and not a competition.

Just don't roll with him again.

Nothing worse than these morons, Im sure theres one or more in every club they roll like their life is depending on it same thing every time try and smash get cross face and lay there with massive should pressure, will never see them submit anybody with a nice sequence into a sub, they all get found out eventually usually takes till competition when they meet their match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeh I rolled with a lad like that a few times, last time I got punched in the face twice cos he was trying to do, something.

I generally avoid him now, although the last time i rolled with him, which was the above, I got a bit rough back with him and he seemed to calm.down a bit. Still annoying as hell though.
    He pretty much German suplexed one of the lads in a class right onto his neck/head as well.

I dont mind a bit of roughness, its not a gentle gentle sport after all, but recklessness like this and as the other poster described is literally a pain.

If you're leaving training at night with injuries from cranks ect on a regular basis you're in the wrong gym as far as im concerned, for competition training you need hard rolls but they can be controlled.

Got heel kick in the face tonight. I don't think he even notice he did it.
    This guys approach is to freeze up and do nothing, the explode in a random direction and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Nothing worse than these morons, Im sure theres one or more in every club they roll like their life is depending on it same thing every time try and smash get cross face and lay there with massive should pressure, will never see them submit anybody with a nice sequence into a sub, they all get found out eventually usually takes till competition when they meet their match.

Different folks, different strokes. I am 40 this year and my flexibility is bad due to both my knee's requiring ACL surgery. I also work in a high pressure job, have a young family and my own business on the side so my energy levels are nowhere near the rest of the class. My style therefore is very much a pressure game and I like to use shoulder pressure (I also love kimura's and americana's for shame).

I prefer to get my opponents to make a mistake due to pressure... getting a sequence into a sub doesn't happen that often either due to the pressure game I use. I am not saying that I am a one trick pony and I have a decent array of tools but but my game is probably what you are referring to as what to avoid.

I don't complain when I am rolling with a 20 year old with insane amounts of energy and flexibility, I just play to my strengths and like it or not, there are plenty of competitors out there who like the pressure game so it's worth rolling with them.

I do agree that you don't need to roll like your life is depending on it and when using a pressure game, you need to be very controlled and keep an eye on your partner.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Different folks, different strokes. I am 40 this year and my flexibility is bad due to both my knee's requiring ACL surgery. I also work in a high pressure job, have a young family and my own business on the side so my energy levels are nowhere near the rest of the class. My style therefore is very much a pressure game and I like to use shoulder pressure (I also love kimura's and americana's for shame).

I prefer to get my opponents to make a mistake due to pressure... getting a sequence into a sub doesn't happen that often either due to the pressure game I use. I am not saying that I am a one trick pony and I have a decent array of tools but but my game is probably what you are referring to as what to avoid.

I don't complain when I am rolling with a 20 year old with insane amounts of energy and flexibility, I just play to my strengths and like it or not, there are plenty of competitors out there who like the pressure game so it's worth rolling with them.

I do agree that you don't need to roll like your life is depending on it and when using a pressure game, you need to be very controlled and keep an eye on your partner.

Get what your saying but im sure you try improve your game to where your body allows you, theres is a few lads in my club foreign in most part they will not even hit a kimura its lay in side control use nothing but strength to try get a tap, its partly a coaches fault but responsibility has to be on the student too, Dont see what they get out training mind boggling it is,

I refuse to roll with these people I dont expect owl lads to be doing Berimbolo's but lying there with their usually overweight body on top of someone trying to smash their way to a tap is boring, sure I can counter this but why risk injury when you've work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Have many of ye got cauliflower ear? I'm getting it, but not in the way that everyone else gets it from what I read.. people's ears seem to swell up with blood and they drain it, or not and they get big dirty cauli. My ear just seems to be going hard without swelling up... I did once get a tiny bubble that was so small it couldn't be drained... if ye have cauli that has hardened is the chance of the same ear getting even worse more or less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I use my forehead not the sides of my head for creating pressure or space and have never had issues with cauliflower ear.
    That said if it's not swelling it's probably not cauliflower.

Anecdotally, some people seem to get cauliflower ear, some dont. I have a series of little bumps and ridges that hardened without any swelling, that, to my mind, can't be anything other than some form of cauliflowering, but i never had the typical fluid draining traditional cauliflower.
    Other guys I trained with might drain their ears twice a week.
    Any medical journal I've looked at has said there's no genetic component, though

I think if you're predisposed to auricular hematoma there's not much you can do other than buy a pair of Mickey Mouse ears

Is wearing say a rugby cap going to leave ya getting stuck in triangles ect that you'd slip out otherwise?

Have been doing some Judo to add to my game starting off with basic enough stuff really, looking forward to implementing it now as a lover of no gi it has peaked a new interest in the gi for me, so many competitions in and around my level (blue) I find stand up stalling just a boring grip battle so hope to capitalize on it.

I wouldn't wear a scrum cap. If you want get something for protection, the ear protectors are the only way to go for grappling. Like any other piece of equipment, there are pros and cons,

Is wearing say a rugby cap going to leave ya getting stuck in triangles ect that you'd slip out otherwise?
    I don't think so. If you can slip your head out then the choke wasn't on properly. A scum cap isn't going to sudden the the choke in imo. Regardless, even if you do get caught a small margin more. So what? It's just for training.

My coach wears a scrum cap, has never mentioned any issue with it. I have a set of ear guards, but never wear them and they slip sideways a bit too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I use my forehead not the sides of my head for creating pressure or space and have never had issues with cauliflower ear.
    That said if it's not swelling it's probably not cauliflower.

You'll probably get thickened brows instead.

This is exactly how I grapple too and I've brows like Mr Neanderthal Man :o

I don't mean thick hair, I mean the skin and bony structure has thickened over the years. I think Brock Lesnar got the same thickening.

Thankfully my ears are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Cauliflower ears should be worn with pride :-)

• Advertisement

Evidently there's a fairly big trend in America of deliberately giving yourself cauliflower ear, by bashing or rubbing your ear.

Each to their own I suppose

Advertisement