Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Evidently there's a fairly big trend in America of deliberately giving yourself cauliflower ear, by bashing or rubbing your ear.

Each to their own I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cletus wrote: »
    Evidently there's a fairly big trend in America of deliberately giving yourself cauliflower ear, by bashing or rubbing your ear.

Each to their own I suppose

That's a story which has been going around for years, only the nationality changes.

But nothing surprises me either. There's all sorts of stupid fooks around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Probably been asked before but does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that train no-gi more than once or twice a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 antb

De la riva Inchicore tues,Thursday and sat morning no-gi Alexandre leite is the prof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

A 10th P in Dublin wouldnt go astray...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gamebred wrote: »

There's a guy after opening in Carlow who trained at 10th Planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

emmetkenny wrote: »
    There's a guy after opening in Carlow who trained at 10th Planet.

Yeah I seen that on Fb pity its down the schticks, would love to learn the system love messing around with the Truck.

Yeah I seen that on Fb pity its down the schticks, would love to learn the system love messing around with the Truck.

I'm in Wexford so only 40 minutes up the road.

Was back training last Wednesday for the first time since October and I've bruised my ribs so need to sit out for another bit.

I've barely been on the mats in 12 months now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Probably been asked before but does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that train no-gi more than once or twice a week?

I trained at SBG HQ a few times when I was at home. They had maybe 5 or 6 NoGi sessions on their timetable. Split between early morning, lunchtime and evening.

There's an gym in the IFSC following the 10th Planet system. Red Branch BJJ I believe.
    They aren't an official "moon" (that's what Eddie calls affiliates). But I think they would have been a unofficial hotbox before that program disbanded. Which means they'd be mentored by a 10th planet blackbelt from the states or the UK.

If you want to learn the 10th planet system its probably the best place to start in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm in Wexford so only 40 minutes up the road.

Was back training last Wednesday for the first time since October and I've bruised my ribs so need to sit out for another bit.

I've barely been on the mats in 12 months now :(

I'm in Wexford too, going to head up with a few fellas from the club soon and see what its all about.

• Advertisement

Mini850 wrote: »
    I'm in Wexford too, going to head up with a few fellas from the club soon and see what its all about.

You training in Caveman?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

Mellor wrote: »

Horse oto gari :)

I was thinking of Horsi Gari myself

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Little video we made on entries to the SLX position.

Facebook

dardis wrote: »
    Little video we made on entries to the SLX position.

Facebook

Some really nice entries there that I'd never seen before. Excellent stuff.

Good stuff. I use the shin on shin entry (no.1) and the seated butterfly (no.2) a lot. Or at least try to. :o

Here's some more for anyone going down the SLX/Ashi Garami rabbit hole today.

No doubt lots of people have already seen this. But it deserves another look :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQJ5XKHAxtK/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Y'all know much about Gi sizes? I bought a wolfhound gi, (which is ****ing awesome btw, i love it), i havent washed it yet so im hoping itll shrink a bit. I bought an A3 as their size chart said for my height/weight (6 foot 1, 80KG), i should have an A3. The length of the pants/sleeves are perfect, its jsut the jacket feels massive around the waist. My last Gi was A2 and the pants legs were practically up to my knees after a year of use!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Y'all know much about Gi sizes? I bought a wolfhound gi, (which is ****ing awesome btw, i love it), i havent washed it yet so im hoping itll shrink a bit. I bought an A3 as their size chart said for my height/weight (6 foot 1, 80KG), i should have an A3. The length of the pants/sleeves are perfect, its jsut the jacket feels massive around the waist. My last Gi was A2 and the pants legs were practically up to my knees after a year of use!!

That's why I hate buying clothes, shoes, etc. without trying them on. Every company has different sizes. I'm 6 ft, probably about 76ish KG and I wear an A3 Sub Only Gi. Length wise it fits fine (might be a bit short in the legs) but the jacket does seem a bit big in the waist. I take 32" waist trousers.

That's why I hate buying clothes, shoes, etc. without trying them on. Every company has different sizes. I'm 6 ft, probably about 76ish KG and I wear an A3 Sub Only Gi. Length wise it fits fine (might be a bit short in the legs) but the jacket does seem a bit big in the waist. I take 32" waist trousers.

Yeah im a 32" waist aswell. At least, i think i am haha. Gi is cosy as **** tho so im hoping after a few washes itll shrink a bit more. Feels like im swimming in it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My first gi was a Spider, it's an A2 and 3 years later it still fits. A little short in the arms and legs but not bad.

Bought a gi in the states at the end of last year and the A2 wouldn't go near me so I bought an A3.

Bought a Tatami one last year too in A2 and after half a dozen washes it's useless to me. I look like I'm wearing a kids gi.

I just sold the Tatami to a shorter guy in the gym and bought an A3 Valour.

I'm 5'11 and currently overweight by about 30lbs. The A3s might be a big baggy around the gut once I lose the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Hi, I am one of the owners of Wolfhound, we try to make the gi's as universally suitable as possible and the height/ weight chart is a good indicator for most, it does however have it's issues for taller/ skinnier folks unfortunately. We are trying to address this with L sizing which we hope to have out in the next few months so A2L would probably fit you better. We just haven't gotten around to it as it adds and extra load of sizes per gi range which is an expense and we are focusing on launching our women's range next.

In regards to shrinking it, they are preshrunk but there is a little bit extra you can get out of it (mainly on the 550gsm gold due to the weave) but be aware that the sleeves will also shrink. Also, don't wash the pants with them as they will shrink.

Thanks for buying from us and hope that it serves you well :-)

RoboRat wrote: »
    Hi, I am one of the owners of Wolfhound, we try to make the gi's as universally suitable as possible and the height/ weight chart is a good indicator for most, it does however have it's issues for taller/ skinnier folks unfortunately. We are trying to address this with L sizing which we hope to have out in the next few months so A2L would probably fit you better. We just haven't gotten around to it as it adds and extra load of sizes per gi range which is an expense and we are focusing on launching our women's range next.

In regards to shrinking it, they are preshrunk but there is a little bit extra you can get out of it (mainly on the 550gsm gold due to the weave) but be aware that the sleeves will also shrink. Also, don't wash the pants with them as they will shrink.

Thanks for buying from us and hope that it serves you well :-)

Thanks for that! Yeah as i say it fits fine length wise in both arms and legs, its just the jacket feels a little...flowy..around the middle :D Im definitely an "inverse triangle" body type, broad shoulders, narrow waist.

When you said "dont wash the pants with them", did you mean dont wash the pants/jacket at the same time?? Bit confused by that haha. But yeah i love the design, i saw a girl in my old gym wearing one a while ago and thought it looked awesome, so it was the first thing i looked for when looking for a new Gi!

Thanks for that! Yeah as i say it fits fine length wise in both arms and legs, its just the jacket feels a little...flowy..around the middle :D Im definitely an "inverse triangle" body type, broad shoulders, narrow waist.

When you said "dont wash the pants with them", did you mean dont wash the pants/jacket at the same time?? Bit confused by that haha. But yeah i love the design, i saw a girl in my old gym wearing one a while ago and thought it looked awesome, so it was the first thing i looked for when looking for a new Gi!

RoboRat means don't wash the pants at the same time as the jacket if your trying to shrink the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

got promoted to blue belt last week.....delighted!!! and just ordered my blue belt from wolfhound

always try and support an irish company who do awesome work

On the topic of GI's.
    Some of the new guys at the fundamentals class were asking me about GI's. Where to buy them, how much they cost etc. I said about $150-190, cheaper eBay GI's aren't really suitable.

Afterwards I was thinking that I my old GI is a bit big on me now. And would fit one of them better. I've had it since I started 4 years ago. It's a heavy and quite durable.
    I had no plans to replace it as it does fine for training. But I be willing to subsidise the cost of a new Gi by passing it on. What is a fair price to charge? I've no interesting it ripping the guys off, but it's obvious worth more than $20.

Weird question I know. But 2nd hand GI's is not a market im familiar with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Mellor wrote: »
    On the topic of GI's.
    Some of the new guys at the fundamentals class were asking me about GI's. Where to buy them, how much they cost etc. I said about $150-190, cheaper eBay GI's aren't really suitable.

Afterwards I was thinking that I my old GI is a bit big on me now. And would fit one of them better. I've had it since I started 4 years ago. It's a heavy and quite durable.
    I had no plans to replace it as it does fine for training. But I be willing to subsidise the cost of a new Gi by passing it on. What is a fair price to charge? I've no interesting it ripping the guys off, but it's obvious worth more than $20.

Weird question I know. But 2nd hand GI's is not a market im familiar with :D

Pppppft! My 93 Brand and Sub Only Gi's both cost less than €100 (fair enough SO was on sale) and they're both second to none.
    There is no need for anyone in a fundamentals class to spend nearly €200 on a Gi!

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Pppppft! My 93 Brand and Sub Only Gi's both cost less than €100 (fair enough SO was on sale) and they're both second to none.
    There is no need for anyone in a fundamentals class to spend nearly €200 on a Gi!
    €€ vrs $$

Sub only are on sale for €90-127-132. Full price €147
    Equivalent for me in AUD is $126-178-185 . Full price $206
    So about the same range as here.

Advertisement