Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Pretty sure my mate bought a sub only gi for 70e last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Pretty sure my mate bought a sub only gi for 70e last week.
    The white one is on sale at the minute for 90e, down from 147e. Seems decent, but I've no idea how often that sale is or if they go lower.

Is your mate a bit small. Kids GI's are the secret to cheap gear for small folk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Jaysus, I started training BJJ with a €45 judo GI.

I still wear it training sometimes.

Nothing wrong with it for a complete beginner, considering the amount of people who bow out of BJJ after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2 of mine were around £50, only expensive one I bought in the states for $140.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Mellor wrote: »
    €€ vrs $$

Sub only are on sale for €90-127-132. Full price €147
    Equivalent for me in AUD is $126-178-185 . Full price $206
    So about the same range as here.

Alright, I'll bow out this time. :p
    *tap*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

16649396_1720044658306232_1233568252433328328_n.png?oh=f9b95977496450c2b5248eb9afc341ef&oe=590C0DA9
    Looks like this is gonna be great. Some serious grapplers in this division.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Grappling industries comp today,
    Sub only, EBI overtime if a draw. And much more liberal rules. Only heel hooks disallowed at blue and everything goes in absolute nogi division

Grappling industries comp today,
    Sub only, EBI overtime if a draw. And much more liberal rules. Only heel hooks disallowed at blue and everything goes in absolute nogi division

Not a great result in the Gi, was running late my division had started when I got there. The rushing carried along as I got straight on to my matches, rushing everything and lost my first couple of matches. Finally settled a bit more for my last match and secured and easy triangle from spider guard - I dunno if I was more patient by that match or if it was a skill thing in all matches. Felt like the former though.

Nogi went better. Silver, lost the final in overtime due to quickest escape. It was a 40 degree day, so wasn't able to lock up a lot of grips and he slipped out of every armbar/triangle attempt. But so did I, so it evens out. Slipping out and spinning everywhere.
    Anthony Perosh came up to me after the match and congratulated me on a good performance which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Gamebred wrote: »

Looked packed......plus all sorted for letting lads slap me in the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Congratulations to Andy Ryan (Team Ryano) on promoting four new black belts this weekend bringing to nine the number of black belts up in the club.

Its worth mentioning that both Andy and one of his new black belts 'Robbie Brennan' are both BJJ & Judo black belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Congratulations to Andy Ryan (Team Ryano) on promoting four new black belts this weekend bringing to nine the number of black belts up in the club.

Its worth mentioning that both Andy and one of his new black belts 'Robbie Brennan' are both BJJ & Judo black belts.

Who were the other 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

On the topic of GI's.
    I had no plans to replace it as it does fine for training. But I be willing to subsidise the cost of a new Gi by passing it on. What is a fair price to charge? I've no interesting it ripping the guys off, but it's obvious worth more than $20.

Weird question I know. But 2nd hand GI's is not a market im familiar with :D

I'm selling an old [but not well worn] gi and wondered the same. I figure the new equivalent of mine is going for ~€70 so I'm looking for €30 - less than 50%. I think that's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

hooplah wrote: »
    I'm selling an old [but not well worn] gi and wondered the same. I figure the new equivalent of mine is going for ~€70 so I'm looking for €30 - less than 50%. I think that's fair.

Don't sell it, start training again!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who were the other 3?

From Facebook;
    4 new black belts at Teamryano HQ Robert Brennan, Chris Nolan, Patrick Wixted and Peter Doyle , 3 promoted to 1st degree ,Andy promoted to 2nd degree and Rodrigo delivered 2 excellent masterclasses not a bad weekend all in all
    hooplah wrote: »

50% of a shade under sounds about right. Cheers

Patrick Wixted is 25, youngest black belt in the country I think.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Patrick Wixted is 25, youngest black belt in the country I think.
    Do you know how long it took him, or when he started (same question I suppose :P )

Whenever I see that these guys in their mid 20s with brown and black belts I can't help but be slightly jealous that I didn't get off my ass at 16/18 and join a club. Then I consider that most people that start young don't actually become black belt phenoms.

I can't decided if starting 10 years earlier would see me as an elite grappler now, or still be a struggling blue belt.
    Im not sure if I'm happy or sad now.

Do you know how long it took him, or when he started (same question I suppose :P )

Started training at 13 I believe. So a 12 year journey.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Started training at 13 I believe. So a 12 year journey.
    Fair play to him. Some slog to stick with it over those years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fair play to him. Some slog to stick with it over those years

I would have loved to have an opportunity to start training at that age. Unfortunately there were no BJJ clubs near me at that time.

Didnt know what BJJ was or martial arts really there was boxing and that was it, till I hit 18 and watched UFC (hated the grappling at the start), when I have kids they will be thrown in as early as possible in martial arts, wish I knew BJJ on the school yard you'd be like royce gracie.

I was always intrigued by BJJ in my early days watching the UFC.

I also wish I had started earlier. Only started properly training in the gi about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

To add to Mellors earlier post about new Irish black belts, Tim Murphy of Point Blank Submissions in Galway was awarded his BJJ black belt last week by Rodrigo Medeiros.

Anyone know how many Irish black belts there are now in the country? For a relatively new sport in this country some of the talent here is amazing!

There was a website tracking everybody at every belt, but it has become too big for that. Rodrigo Medeiros, who graded Tim, also graded three more black belts in Limerick BJJ.

There are now 15 black belts across Ryano throughout the country.

Beyond that I don't know but it must be a decent tally for Ireland.

cletus wrote: »
    There was a website tracking everybody at every belt,
    I think that was actually here, this forum.
    It was before I started BJJ, but I remember seeing a thread that listed every blue belt+ and tracked all the promotions.

Kinda mad to think that was even possibly a few years ago. It would be interesting to go find it and what became of the names listed

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2055015888/11?

This was the thread. There was a website too, though. I think it was called bjj.ie, but that now links to the sbg website. I'll keep trawling though, might find a cached version somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think that was actually here, this forum.
    It was before I started BJJ, but I remember seeing a thread that listed every blue belt+ and tracked all the promotions.

Kinda mad to think that was even possibly a few years ago. It would be interesting to go find it and what became of the names listed

It was here, when blue belts were considered super stars.

Advertisement