Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Anyone from here at the subover80 event yesterday?? i thought it was a great event, really well setup and ran really well. a great level of jiu jitsu was on show from all competitors and hopefully we get a few of these events a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Few of the matches are on youtube on fight store media, as expected the guy from East Coast Mihaj cleared shop the best lock locker in the country have seen him go through black belts with his heel hooks absolute animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

yeah was really impressed with him and a few of the other guys in the finals. great level

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gamebred wrote: »
    Few of the matches are on youtube on fight store media, as expected the guy from East Coast Mihaj cleared shop the best lock locker in the country have seen him go through black belts with his heel hooks absolute animal.

He only trains part time in ECJJ doesn't he?

Sam McNally looked impressive aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He only trains part time in ECJJ doesn't he?

Sam McNally looked impressive aswell.

Do you mean part time in terms of number of hours training or as in he also trains somewhere else?

• Advertisement

ian.f wrote: »
    Do you mean part time in terms of number of hours training or as in he also trains somewhere else?

He trains in Frontline in Oslo I think.

It's meant to be a fantastic gym with loads of really high level brown and black belts on the mats at any one time.

He runs the Yoga For BJJ website with Sebastian Brosche and one of Darragh Blue Belts just joined the team on the website.

https://yogaforbjj.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's meant to be a fantastic gym with loads of really high level brown and black belts on the mats at any one time.

He runs the Yoga For BJJ website with Sebastian Brosche and one of Darragh Blue Belts just joined the team on the website.

Just seen this podcast posted on r/bjj.
    http://mat-tricks.com/podcast/miha

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQuuvlBApw_/

Mellor wrote: »

I've watched loads of their Yoga For BJJ (definitely recommend checking the site out) and I never once realised he was so big. Always got the impression he was around 65-70kg.

I've watched loads of their Yoga For BJJ (definitely recommend checking the site out) and I never once realised he was so big. Always got the impression he was around 65-70kg.
    I've really considered giving the program a go. But I've had to draw the line somewhere.

Between training, competition, and all the random extra cost I'm spending enough already :D

I've really considered giving the program a go. But I've had to draw the line somewhere.

Between training, competition, and all the random extra cost I'm spending enough already :D

I went to the Sebastian seminar in ECJJ a few years ago and watching the way he moved was an eye opener.

Took me about 12 months but finally joined a local Yoga class and it helped my flexibility a lot.

I sit at a desk all day and found I got really bad pains in my back and would be really stiff. After about 3 months all the pain and stiffness was gone and my BJJ game improved a lot because of it.

I'd definitely recommend everyone to give it a month and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

I am the aforementioned blue belt :cool:

Miha spent the summer in Frontline in 2015 and still travels there sometimes to get some work done with Sebastian (it is a fantastic gym, was there recently and the training is really good!) but right now he lives in Dublin and trains with ECJJA as his main team

Who knows how long he'll stay in Ireland for but for now he is "fully" East Coast. He teaches most of the Intro classes and got his brown belt off Darragh a couple of months ago

Hey Mellor, hit me up in the private messages and I'll give you 2 weeks free to see how you like it.

Emmetkenny - I'll do the same for you if you're interested since you had such nice things to say about Sebastian :D

I am the aforementioned blue belt :cool:

Miha spent the summer in Frontline in 2015 and still travels there sometimes to get some work done with Sebastian (it is a fantastic gym, was there recently and the training is really good!) but right now he lives in Dublin and trains with ECJJA as his main team

Who knows how long he'll stay in Ireland for but for now he is "fully" East Coast. He teaches most of the Intro classes and got his brown belt off Darragh a couple of months ago

Ha chances of that :D

Did Miha start training in ECJJ or come from a different club?

Some great talent up there in fairness and if I was a little closer I'd try make it to a class or two a week as my main gym. It can only be a good thing rolling with so many decent grapplers on a regular basis.

Ha chances of that :D

Did Miha start training in ECJJ or come from a different club?

No Miha trained Judo as a child for many years at a pretty high level, as far as I know he trained with members of the Slovenian Olympic team ( 2 of the women won medals in Rio last year) then he started training jiu jitsu with Alliance in Slovenia.

He ended up in Ireland because he came here to do a Masters last year and we haven't managed to get rid of him yet

Hey Mellor, hit me up in the private messages and I'll give you 2 weeks free to see how you like it.

Emmetkenny - I'll do the same for you if you're interested since you had such nice things to say about Sebastian :D
    Legend, :D
    No Miha trained Judo as a child for many years at a pretty high level, as far as I know he trained with members of the Slovenian Olympic team ( 2 of the women won medals in Rio last year) then he started training jiu jitsu with Alliance in Slovenia.

He ended up in Ireland because he came here to do a Masters last year and we haven't managed to get rid of him yet

He goes into a lot of detail on his background in the podcast above.
    http://mat-tricks.com/podcast/miha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ordered a wolfhound gi today, spent a chunk of my wages before I even got paid :D

From what I have seen they look like good quality gi's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've worn mine a few times now and am fairly impressed, takes a beating anyway.

It's a bit heavier than my Venum one but that's mad light so was to be expected.

Only minor issue I have is with the cord for the trousers, it frays very easily when washed and there's part that has come out of the outer sleeve for some reason.
    Like I said, very minor thing, and it still functions perfectly.

Plus it looks cool so there's always that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I've worn mine a few times now and am fairly impressed, takes a beating anyway.

It's a bit heavier than my Venum one but that's mad light so was to be expected.

Only minor issue I have is with the cord for the trousers, it frays very easily when washed and there's part that has come out of the outer sleeve for some reason.
    Like I said, very minor thing, and it still functions perfectly.

Plus it looks cool so there's always that.

We had an issue with the cord but its been resolved. PM me with your address and I will send you a new one :-)

What happened to the sleeve? Not had an issue with that before - is it the hem tape lining has come out? Let me know and I will get something sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

My first gi was a wolfhound as well and I loved it but the cord was put in backwards compared to the newer ones I bought and it's a pain in the hole to keep tied because i must pull the cord backwards, then wrap around the waist and tie it at my front.. is this an easy fix at a place like the zip yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

RoboRat wrote: »
    We had an issue with the cord but its been resolved. PM me with your address and I will send you a new one :-)

What happened to the sleeve? Not had an issue with that before - is it the hem tape lining has come out? Let me know and I will get something sorted.
    There's customer service for you :)

I'll send a PM on now.

When I say sleeve, I mean the cord sleeve, not the actual sleeve, just to be clear :)
    It seems to have split at one point and the 3-4 inner cords popped out through the hole.
    Like I said, only a minor thing.

Other than the above, it's a pretty decent Gi. Fairly hard wearing (I've a fairly stubborn turtle position so the top/collar gets dragged out of a bit)

• Advertisement

My first gi was a wolfhound as well and I loved it but the cord was put in backwards compared to the newer ones I bought and it's a pain in the hole to keep tied because i must pull the cord backwards, then wrap around the waist and tie it at my front.. is this an easy fix at a place like the zip yard?

Should be easy to fix yourself.
    One of my gi's came with two types of cord and I swapped them over, put back in cords that came out in the wash.
    Just tie it on to a pen on something similar that you can feed around the waistband. You won't even need to pull it out all the way, just pull one side out a half lap, and feed the slack to the other end and feed it through a half lap.

On that note, and unexpected side effect of Jiujitsu is that I'm now reasonable decent with a needle and thread, the GF comes to me to fixe her stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On that note, and unexpected side effect of Jiujitsu is that I'm now reasonable decent with a needle and thread, the GF comes to me to fix her stuff now.

I made one brief attention sew my club patch on my gi. Never again. After half an hour I had made it about an inch around the circle so I sacked it and took it to a professional.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I made one brief attention sew my club patch on my gi. Never again. After half an hour I had made it about an inch around the circle so I sacked it and took it to a professional.
    Lol, I out and irish patch on my gi last month. Stuck it on with iron-on backing for extra hold, so was able to stitch the border with wider spacing between stitches. Got around in half the time.
    #JitsTips

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, I out and irish patch on my gi last month. Stuck it on with iron-on backing for extra hold, so was able to stitch the border with wider spacing between stitches. Got around in half the time.
    #JitsTips

I have 3 gis now, took them into the Zip Yard last month to add 1 large patch and 5 small ones. £25, ready in a day and looks a damn sight better than the DIY I could muster.

I'll leave it to the professionals I think. Too lazy to make it work myself to he honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yeah our first supplier did things like that and it was just down to us not being specific about everything, you can't assume they will know because whilst the guys we use are unbelievable weavers and can do anything with the material, they don't know BJJ so they don't understand the requirements.

A good example is that we use the gi jacket fabric on the crotch area as this is probably the area that takes the most wear and tear on the pants. Ironically, some of the bigger brands have started doing this too.

To fix the drawstring problem, I just pull it all out and use a safety pin to feed it through, it's quite simple that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Does anyone have any advice regarding torn skin on the knuckles of my toes? They never heal and get retorn every session. I usually cover them with compeeds while training, but id prefer not to need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Froshtbit wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice regarding torn skin on the knuckles of my toes? They never heal and get retorn every session. I usually cover them with compeeds while training, but id prefer not to need them.

Tape.

Tape is the best solution.

Also be really careful with stuff like that. It it becomes a proper cut, keep it clean, disinfect it, cover it, etc.
    I had a small bit of broken skin on my foot from a foot lock in comp. It was slow to heal, reopened a lot. I'm pretty sure it had picked up a staph/mrsa infection. Luckily I had some antibiotic cream handy for it which cleared the infection - but the mark is still there a month later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Froshtbit wrote: »

I find Muller Tape is best. Its very tough and waterproof.

How long are you training?.. Usually the skin toughens and it stops happening after the first few weeks.. Only happens to me now if I take some time off the mats (like now due to a neck crank three weeks ago :(n).

Anyway, Muller Tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Ive gone back after a hiatus. i hope it hardens soon. Thanks for the tip

Advertisement