Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Mellor wrote: »
    Slapper is that Muslim guy from Chechnya

That narrows it down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That narrows it down :rolleyes:
    Muslim with a capital M

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/muslim-patsarigov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Mellor wrote: »

that really narrows it down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

RoboRat wrote: »
    Small rant I want to get off my chest!

Last night at training I was rolling with a new-ish guy, he's been training 6 months. I felt he was focusing too much on the flash stuff like berimbolo's and neglecting the basics like position... but each to their own.

When I roll with whites, I try and pass on some of my experience; if they do something well I tell them and if I think there is something they may I missed, I will go back to it and explain... I like to help and it's nice to give something back, I always appreciated when a higher belt took the time to try and progress my game.

Anyhow, last night I gave my back as I wanted to work on escapes and he got a RNC in, like most whites he was squeezing like a mofo but my chin was tucked in the crook of his elbow so I just waited it out until he burnt his arms out. I explained to him the way I was trained to finish a RNC was instead of squeezing, was to pull his forearm across the neck and choke with the blade of the arm... I do this all the time and its far easier to finish plus it can be done with one or 2 arms.

He told me I was wrong! That was not the right way and that his way was better. I explained that he had a tight RNC but couldn't finish and this way he could.

No, he didn't think my way was better so I asked him to try both and my way was far tighter but he then said I was tapping because I wanted to show my way was better. I was beginning to lose patience so I said I would do both on him so he could see the difference. Again his response was I wasn't squeezing hard enough doing it his way.

I just gave up which I am sure he will if he can't listen, but it seems a running theme with younger guys. I don't know if its a generation thing or watching too many UFC fights or Youtube videos but they seem to think they know it all.

I know if I was him and someone with 5 years training was taking the time to help, I would be listening to every word.

/rant

Not to be an ass kisser, but whenever i roll/drill with more experienced guys, i shut my mouth and listen to whatever advice they have to give. I wouldnt dream of trying to show someone more experienced than me whats what. A few weeks ago a blue asked me something about the move we were drilling and i was so flabbergasted i was like "**** man i can tell you what i think but im only a white belt so you don't have to listen to me" lol. Likewise tho it does irritate me a bit when someone whose literally only just started tries to tell me how to do **** or corrects me. Im training a year now and had some dude on his very first day trying to tell me i was sweeping him wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not to be an ass kisser, but whenever i roll/drill with more experienced guys, i shut my mouth and listen to whatever advice they have to give. I wouldnt dream of trying to show someone more experienced than me whats what. A few weeks ago a blue asked me something about the move we were drilling and i was so flabbergasted i was like "**** man i can tell you what i think but im only a white belt so you don't have to listen to me" lol. Likewise tho it does irritate me a bit when someone whose literally only just started tries to tell me how to do **** or corrects me. Im training a year now and had some dude on his very first day trying to tell me i was sweeping him wrong :rolleyes:

He probably watched a YouTube clip. You should probably listen to him!!

• Advertisement

Clive wrote: »
    Not to defend the guy, because he sounds like a douche rather than just pedantic like me, but technically he's right.

A classical rear naked is a blood choke, pulling in with the forearm changes it to attack the windpipe. It's a pretty common variation, especially in MMA, but it's usually called a short choke to differentiate it from the mechanically different RNC.

I thought I has relied to this, but I must not have.
    In my description, I wasn't talking about changing the RNC into air choke nor the short choke variation.

For the sake of clarity, a short choke (in my understanding) is when you have it locked off with a gable grip behind the shoulder blade and the non choking arm vertically down the opponents back. It's a useful variation too though.

My description above was still intending to be a blood choke. The choking forearm is still against the carotid. Obviously sometimes the angle changes and it becomes an air choke, but such is the risk with most chokes really.
    I like to solidify the position of the non-choking arm first, then bring the elbow across and back. But some people might prefer to think of this in terms of flaring their elbows, and back.
    There are many ways to do it, the point I try to get across to new guys is that it's about levering your grip to constrict the space, rather than purely squeezing on it.

Anyway, 2017 is the year of the darce for me. Such a great choke that I've until recently neglected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

This is what I was envisaging:rickson-gracie-05.jpg
    Which has always felt like an air choke to me, but like most things in grappling I'd probably have to feel it to get it.
    I'm not much for instructionals but Ryan Hall has some good stuff on the D'arce if you're looking for some bedtime watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Anyway, 2017 is the year of the darce for me. Such a great choke that I've until recently neglected

My go to choke! I have been messing with some nasty wrist locks should they decide to defend it, especially if they are in turtle/ half guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

He told me I was wrong!

/rant

I've been a victim of your rnc.. Surely a demo or 2 would cop him on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

My go to choke! I have been messing with some nasty wrist locks should they decide to defend it, especially if they are in turtle/ half guard.

2hdnyw4.jpg

Clive wrote: »
    I'm not much for instructionals but Ryan Hall has some good stuff on the D'arce if you're looking for some bedtime watching.
    Currently working through his defensive guard. Then gonna hit up darces. I'm assuming this is the arm triangle series.
    I'm also gonna call them brabo's.

I think I hit more brabos rolling in march than the last 3 years combined. Mostly because I never went for them, which in turn made me terrible at them

Wrist locks? How cheap of you Robo.

Nothing wrong with wristies, keeps your opponent on their toes and really puts them off their game if you go for a few early on. There are wrist locks everywhere :-)

darced wrote: »

Dunno about that, was rolling last week and must have hit around 10 of them. I finally had to stop myself.... until I managed to trap a lads arm in side control with my shin and though... oh, there's a wrist just begging to be bent!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

What belt level are they allowed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just did a class on leg locks and how we've all been doing them wrong every single time.

Then proceeded to get my first leg lock submission. They nasty.

Froshtbit wrote: »
    What belt level are they allowed at?
    In comp, from blue belt.
    In the gym, individual club rules, should be not restriction imo.

They aren't something I seek out a lot. But I hit a good one a while ago. Had a purple belt in a mounted triangle, he didn't want to tap and was trying to run down the clock. With 5 seconds left, wrist lock on his extended arm. He tapped

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

I have been off for a year and had surgery due to that Jacare wrist lock. While I love them there are certain types you need to be very careful with. But I agree in not limiting any subs in training much better to be aware of them and train them safely from day 1.

I have been off for a year and had surgery due to that Jacare wrist lock. While I love them there are certain types you need to be very careful with. But I agree in not limiting any subs in training much better to be aware of them and train them safely from day 1.

Personally speaking, I just try to lock it in and slowly add pressure, if they get out because I wasn't quick enough with the pressure, I know I caught it and got it locked in which is what I am going for. It's more about catching it than finishing it for me as I don't want to bust a training partners wrist for the sake of a tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Oh I totally agree one of my personal favourites is to do a gooseneck one from the spiderweb as it can be done slow and controlled. Unfortunately, this was the famous Jacare style one from a lapel grab once it was on I heard a pop and that was that. It is like any sub once you do it like you described Roborat it will be fine.

It's been drilled into me for the last year and a bit to always finish subs slowly.
    Get to the point you can finish quick if you like, but the point of making them tap. Slow.

Still being a white belt, I'm always wary of hurting someone if I apply a sub slightly wrong so I'll never rush into it just in case. Sometimes means I lose a sub but I'd prefer that than potentially injuring someone.

I've had it happen though with an armbar and shoulder lock, lad sat/pulled back as hard as he could for the armbar and it felt like my elbow was gonna break.
    Shoulder still isn't right from the shoulder lock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

http://www.flocombat.com/article/54704-dillon-danis-suspended-from-bjj-gym-marcelo-garcia-explains#.WPATQ_nyvIU

Marcelo ****ed Mansheer and Danis out of the gym for their behavior lately, massive respect to MG for calling them out on this McGregor act they've been putting on.

Gamebred wrote: »
    http://www.flocombat.com/article/54704-dillon-danis-suspended-from-bjj-gym-marcelo-garcia-explains#.WPATQ_nyvIU

Marcelo ****ed Mansheer and Danis out of the gym for their behavior lately, massive respect to MG for calling them out on this McGregor act they've been putting on.

I actually didn't think I could like the guy anymore but he keeps impressing me. I'm surprised about Munch though, met him before at RGA and thought he was a really nice down to earth guy.

Have to say, hard to beat the customer service of wolfhound.

Mentioned a while back in this thread that the only minor issue I could find with the gi I got off them was the trousers cord coming through its sleeve. Far from a deal breaker and nothing that'd stop me wearing it.

Ian straight onto me asking for my address so he can send me a replacement one. Got another pm a while later saying they couldn't get it delivered to my apartment so did I have somewhere else to get it sent. Sent it to my mams via courier and ended up with a free Neil Seery t-shirt as well.
    Absolutely fantastic service, cheers Ian ðŸ˜

Dance/Bravo 2017 continues. A nice set up here from Chris's Leddy in East Coast Bray

www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1953941891505591&id=1659641707602279&_rdr

darced wrote: »
    I'm on mobile so link might be dead on PC. But you guessed right, it should have been Darce/Brabo. Autocorrect

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1953941891505591&id=1659641707602279

Until last month, is barely hit any darces in live rolls. Less than 3 ever I'd say. None in comp.
    But the last 6 weeks I've hit at least one per session. It's like the penny just dropped somehow. And I'm hitting (or threatening) them on good purples, not live drilling white belts. Very suddenly it's an integral part of my armbar/kimura game. In a way that RNC or guillotine has never been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

It's been many moons since the leddy name was spoken in these dusty halls.

Glad you like the move. Like many of the 'best' little details I think I know - this came through years of trial and error. I first started using a darce 8 years ago when Darragh returned from training in SF with this mad choke we had never seen before.

Really good tool to have. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it chokes. Sometimes it chokes and hurts.

Advertisement