Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

Massive achievement at the worlds in Abu Dhabi for Chris bowe, into the 110 kg final tomorrow,beast

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gdavis wrote: »
    Massive achievement at the worlds in Abu Dhabi for Chris bowe, into the 110 kg final tomorrow,beast
    That's class. $10k for the winner I think.

Chris's fight is the final match of the tournament. In just under 2 hours time

Mellor wrote: »
    Chris's fight is the final match of the tournament. In just under 2 hours time

Watching all the finals here now, some great matches

On Flo or somewhere else to watch?

Edit: just caught it on facebook live
    Feilpe Pena is up nest in the 94kg, then Chris next

• Advertisement

On Flo or somewhere else to watch?

Feilpe Pena is up nest in the 94kg, then Chris next

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gdavis wrote: »
    Pm sent

Any link?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any link?

Sorry dtp,I missed your post , he was beaten 2-0 , from a sweep straight from guard pull , good scrap,Chris was close a few times to a sweep , fought really well against a beast !! Serious achievement silver at the worlds , hero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Going to a free introductory session of ju jitsu. I already lift weights 3 times a week and i'm taking improver swimming lessons. Don't know what to expect or if i'll fit in with this sport.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Going to a free introductory session of ju jitsu. I already lift weights 3 times a week and i'm taking improver swimming lessons. Don't know what to expect or if i'll fit in with this sport.

Great! you will enjoy it, first few weeks are hard (much more difficult than weight training) the warm ups alone can be hard when you first start, give it a few weeks and see what you think.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    You'll be fine. Jiu Jitsu is about half my training, the other half is weights, callisthenics, the odd run. My whole plan is built around fitting them together.

Going to add swimming next week also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You'll be fine. Jiu Jitsu is about half my training, the other half is weights, callisthenics, the odd run. My whole plan is built around fitting them together.

Going to add swimming next week also

This ^^.. You'll be grand.

You'll get used to working BJJ into your days/week.

Jitz is pretty easy on the body, put it this way when I'm injured or tired I do less Judo and more BJJ. But!.. Like all new activities it'll be hard at first, but you'll get used to it ~ 14 months ago I got a complete pec tear, as part of the rehab I started swimming eight weeks after the injury and I thought it was the toughest thing I've ever done lol (I'm swimming most days now) and you'll find starting out in Jitz similar, but you'll get used to it.

The hardest part of starting out is mat burns, bruising and stepping onto the mat for the first time.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Aside from the Breaking Grips podcast, are there any other Irish BJJ / grappling related podcasts out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

If there is anyone in Tallaght/Ballymount or surrounding areas, there is a BJJ gym in Ballymount MMA/AJ Fitness. Coach from Jorge Santos BJJ

Tuesday & Thursday at 7 - 8:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I bailed on my first BJJ class today. They weren't expecting me but I have been putting off starting for months. They have lots of Gi and No-Gi classes each week but I had decided I was going to go this evening as they have a few beginner Gi classes each week and one of them was tonight.

I let myself lose track of time/talked myself out if it and I ended up running a bit late and in the end didn't go.

I was getting thoughts in my head like what happens if no-one wants to work with me as I'm new and a bigger (overweight) guy, what if I can't keep up/do the warm up, what if I don't like it, and so on.

Anyone else had false starts before joining?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

veganrun wrote: »
    I bailed on my first BJJ class today. They weren't expecting me but I have been putting off starting for months. They have lots of Gi and No-Gi classes each week but I had decided I was going to go this evening as they have a few beginner Gi classes each week and one of them was tonight.

I let myself lose track of time/talked myself out if it and I ended up running a bit late and in the end didn't go.

I was getting thoughts in my head like what happens if no-one wants to work with me as I'm new and a bigger (overweight) guy, what if I can't keep up/do the warm up, what if I don't like it, and so on.

Just go. If you can't keep up with the warm up then go a bit easier. My gym is small enough and there are people of all shapes, sizes and skill levels. No body is ever stuck for a partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The best thing you can do is just go. Give it a few weeks and see how you take to it.

In beginners classes the coach will usually pair people off. Also most people don't care who they work with and are more than willing to help you if your confused/lost.

There is absolutely zero chance ''nobody will want to pair'' up with you, I can guarantee you that firstly, just go Wednesday if theres a class sooner ya start quicker you get good, weight will fly off ya training a few times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

The next beginners class is Thursday, then Sunday. So it's either those or just go to the normal classes that are on every day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The next beginners class is Thursday, then Sunday. So it's either those or just go to the normal classes that are on every day.

Go to the beginners class.

Dillion Danis beats AJ in convincing fashion. AJ fails to qualify for worlds as a result.

http://www.flograppling.com/article/55752-dillon-danis-dominates-at-ibjjf-atlanta-open-rematches-aj-agazarm#.WREY-jxkmEf

Given how AJ and shields match went. I think Danis vrs Shields will be interesting, but I'm giving Danis the edge

Hope Shields gives him a stockton slap and puts him in his place couldnt care about the match.

I just can't buy the Stockton schtick when it comes to Shields

True but I can buy it more than the act Danis is putting on, lesser of 2 gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm going to be lazy and copy what I just wrote in response to a facebook post similar to this:

I was 40 on the 29th of April, I'm carrying a few pounds... I think its a slow metabolism but in reality its probably that I eat too much crap.

I have more metal in both of my knees than bone, I also suffer from chronic urticaria which means that at any time I can look like I rolled in a wasps nest and have lips that Bubba off Forest Gump would be proud of.

I have 2 kids, the youngest being 10 months old and I have a high pressure job.... during my limited free time I am building up my BJJ/ MMA apparel empire and taking requests from gym owners and fellow bjj'ers for everything from banners, rashguard designs, shorts to full ecommerce websites and logos :-P

I regularly get smashed by younger lads (but not in a Liberace sort of way), I regularly find myself lying on the ground unable to move after a few rolls and I would happily just sleep where I lie. The next morning when I am awoken by my chirping 10 month old at 6am I have a deep desire to die as I feel my joints grinding and my muscles aching - I am praying that by the time I reach 60 a full body transplant will be an affordable possibility.

Every day that I am due to go training, I cant wait to get there and absolutely brutalise myself.

Perhaps there is something wrong with me and I like the pain and trauma but I wouldn't change it for the world!

Long story short, quit making excuses and do it if you would REALLY want to do it... if you are constantly making excuses as to why you can't do it, then just forget about it and do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RoboRat wrote: »
    The next morning when I am awoken by my chirping 10 month old at 6am I have a deep desire to die as I feel my joints grinding and my muscles aching - I am praying that by the time I reach 60 a full body transplant will be an affordable possibility.

Just lock in an darce nice and quick and put him back to bed for a few hours. Extra rest for you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Just lock in an darce nice and quick and put him back to bed for a few hours. Extra rest for you then.

Been tempted a few times, I do regularly use knee on belly to get my kids dressed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

RoboRat wrote: »
    Been tempted a few times, I do regularly use knee on belly to get my kids dressed though.

knee on baby

• Advertisement

knee on baby

neon+baby.JPG

Advertisement