Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

RoboRat wrote: »
    Been tempted a few times, I do regularly use knee on belly to get my kids dressed though.

I laughed at this.

I regularly use the body triangle to get my two young girls changed!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm leaving shortly for my first BJJ class as there is a beginner session on tonight. Wish me luck that it goes ok and I don't chicken out when I get there!

Not long back. I didn't chicken out and it went reasonably well. The warm-up was doable and one of the blue belts worked with me all night. Next beginner class is on Sunday and I didn't hate it so I think I will go to it. Reckon I am going to be sore soon :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Good to hear, give it a few weeks you will be hooked (and in better shape)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

mickydcork wrote: »
    I laughed at this.

I regularly use the body triangle to get my two young girls changed!:pac:

That's only reserved for putting sunscreen on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

RoboRat wrote: »
    That's only reserved for putting sunscreen on.

Better off just choking them out for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

If anybody eould like to pm me regarding possible viewing options for SUG4, I woudnt be upset :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT-cOyVBw4N/?taken-by=gordonlovesjiujitsu

The acai in NY must be something else 170 up to 213 with ease pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gamebred wrote: »

Actually now that you mention it, there was a guy at competitions who sold Acai. Monkey something or other.

Does anyone here know the company? Might pick up a few tubs from him.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Actually now that you mention it, there was a guy at competitions who sold Acai. Monkey something or other.

Does anyone here know the company? Might pick up a few tubs from him.

I do believe hes on fb super chimp acai I think hes called, lovely stuff but a rip off at 25e a tub, you can buy some in Moore st mall downstairs in the Brazilian shop or you can get some served on the quays in pog.

• Advertisement

I do believe hes on fb super chimp acai I think hes called, lovely stuff but a rip off at 25e a tub, you can buy some in Moore st mall downstairs in the Brazilian shop or you can get some served on the quays in pog.

That's it!! I'm in Wexford so next time I'm up for work I'll pop into Moore Street and have a look. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd say it's s long time since he was walking around at 170. This was December 2015

195-213 is 18 lbs in 16/17 months. I don't this that's too unbelievable for 21 year old training full time.

As an aside. Acai as a healthfood is the biggest con ever. Bravo Amazonians. It's like eating a jar of jam and saying strawberries are good for you.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd say it's s long time since he was walking around at 170. This was December 2015
    https://www.instagram.com/p/_vpYtRTEas/

195-213 is 18 lbs in 16/17 months. I don't this that's too unbelievable for 21 year old training full time.

As an aside. Acai as a healthfood is the biggest con ever. Bravo Amazonians. It's like eating a jar of jam and saying strawberries are good for you.

I just like the flavour of it :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTHB5Sll8_J/?taken-by=pog_dublin

Thats right at the end of O Connell st on the quays if your looking for a fix.

TBH I only tried it once and tasted like icy jam. The was a new lad joined the gym from SBG and he said it was worst he ever had. So maybe the monkey acai is better.
    There a place beside my gym sells them now too. $12, they'd want to be deadly.

Mellor wrote: »
    TBH I only tried it once and tasted like icy jam. The was a new lad joined the gym from SBG and he said it was worst he ever had. So maybe the monkey acai is better.
    There a place beside my gym sells them now too. $12, they'd want to be deadly.

A chap I train with is married to a Brazilian girl and he's always raving about the Acai he gets over there. Says the stuff here is muck in comparison.

I just saw a post on the Ireland Brazilian Jiu-jitsu / Grappling page about the cost of the Irish Open.

The early registration fee of €50 has now ended and the price has gone up to €80. I know the guys run a very good competition but I feel €80 is a little steep. Prices really have shot up the last few years unfortunately.

To me €80 is an awful lot, for that I could get a few weeks training or seminar or two, or a few rashguards or a gi and if your unlucky enough you might only end up with one or two fights it seems bad value to me.

I fully understand that Barry and Liam want to make a profit and fully deserve to with all the hard work they put in, and this is by no means a complaint so please don't take it that way.

What are other people's thoughts on the pricing, not just on this competition but competitions in general in Ireland.

Rip off simple as that, someone will be along to defend the price and how nothing comes cheap ect but they are taking serious profit per head not a hope its that costly per head, wouldnt waste my time competing in them anymore when you can get comp matches in the likes of DCU for 15e.

Not long back from my 2nd class. It was different from the first as it was a different instructor and this time I was paired up with someone who was there for their first class. The instructor told everyone to pair up and I was standing round like a d*** as everyone had paired up and I wasn't. After a minute or so two guys invited me to join them but that didn't happen as the other new guy suggested we work together which was grand. He was cool and friendly but seemed stronger than me and better even though it was his first night. Must start watching my Royce Gracie DVD!

I found some of the stuff a bit tricky but for some reason found the choke easier to put on which I don't understand.

So overall it was quite frustrating at times, but sort of addictive?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

veganrun wrote: »
    So overall it was quite frustrating at times, but sort of addictive?! :)

And welcome to BJJ

• Advertisement

One question. How do you deal with mat burns/blisters on your toes? I got some after my first class and put bandaids on them today but they were still rubbing and was back to square one after the class was over. Do I need to put something else on or leave it a few days to let them heal up?

Keep them clean like any other cut, your skin will toughen naturally within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What were you doing to get them?
    Usually plasters, grappling tape etc does the job. If they're too uncomfortable, give them a few days to heal up and start rubbing alcohol swabs on the skin to toughen it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I put caramex on mine after washing them to help them heal when they appear. As said above the skin hardens with time and you don't get them as often.

I got them the first night as I spent most of the class on my knees escaping the guard so they were rubbing on the mat a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

The technique they were showing me was starting on my knees and breaking the guard and going to side control. I did it quite a bit as I was working with one of the instructors who had me going it over and over.

Anyway I've bought some compeed blisters patches, hopefully they will help.

Any idea where I can get that sticky athletic tape? Would Boots have it?

Most pharmanys should have it. Sports tape, zinc oxide tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Unless the money is going towards drug testing then it is a complete rip-off.

Advertisement