Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »

De Blass would literally murder him in an actual fight as well.

I think hes a gob****e Danis but its getting out of hand now coaches from other clubs threatening him in a round about way, I think for the most part now Danis does be on the wind up hes obviously delusional but hes gotta be taking the urine with some the stuff he says knowing its gonna get a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Unless the money is going towards drug testing then it is a complete rip-off.
    Huh?

Was there a post about drug tests deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    Huh?

Was there a post about drug tests deleted?

I think he talking about the cost of entry to the Irish Open that was being discussed a few pages back

• Advertisement

Ah right. Makes more of sense.
    For what it's worth, the cost is anoutbon par with a big event over here. Like state championships. Nationals or IBJJF would be more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Where's the best place to buy a Gi?

I'm also not sure what size I need. I'm 5ft 10 and about 17 stone.

The price will keep rising, theres idiots saying yeah its way too dear but im still gonna compete anyways, supply and demand people pay they will charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

The price will keep rising, theres idiots saying yeah its way too dear but im still gonna compete anyways, supply and demand people pay they will charge.

Prizes are pretty good though. Blue belt up winners get entry into the euros and flights too.

White belt winners get free entry to any Irish comp

I'm not entering myself as the time doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mini850 wrote: »
    Prizes are pretty good though. Blue belt up winners get entry into the euros and flights too.

White belt winners get free entry to any Irish comp

I'm not entering myself as the time doesn't suit.

Prizes don't bother me really but Is it the individual weight categories at blue and up or just for the absolute winners at blue up?

Still very few prizes compared to numbers competing, I think it was close to 600 last time I checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Prizes don't bother me really but Is it the individual weight categories at blue and up or just for the absolute winners at blue up?

Still very few prizes compared to numbers competing, I think it was close to 600 last time I checked.

Ah, just checked, tis just absolute, thought it was all weight classes.............

Mini850 wrote: »
    Ah, just checked, tis just absolute, thought it was all weight classes.............

Nope. So you've 4 Travel Packages for the men and probably the same again for the women's Division. Not sure if the juvenile get the same.

How many of that 600 would be kids?
    Always seems to be millions at this things. The little brats are fine but jiu jitsu parents do my head in.

Godammit, finally

xdwuwifnrwxy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dannis about to have another knee torn apart.

Dannis about to have another knee torn apart.
    That is by first reaction too. Dillion has become a decent heel hooker, but Garry is a level above. If he cockily tries to play that game, Garry takes his leg home.

On the other hand, The death squad has been crushing with Danahers back system. He could strangle him either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

veganrun wrote: »

A3 would probably be your best bet, it might be a bit long on the sleeve and pants but it will shrink a little bit - some ninja washing can also shrink it some more but this is quite difficult.

You will probably loose a fair bit of weight and move to a standard A2 if you keep up with the training so just get one initially or ask around the gym and see if anyone has a spare... I have given some of my older gi's to newbies as a starter gi. I would offer you one but I literally just done a spring clean and gave a few away!

Where are you based anyhow? I am one of the owners of Wolfhound Fightwear and I live in Portlaoise - if you're near me I could meet you? My business partner runs RGA and he has all the stock so you could pop into one of his places and try it on alternatively.

I just saw a post on the Ireland Brazilian Jiu-jitsu / Grappling page about the cost of the Irish Open.

The early registration fee of €50 has now ended and the price has gone up to €80. I know the guys run a very good competition but I feel €80 is a little steep. Prices really have shot up the last few years unfortunately.

To me €80 is an awful lot, for that I could get a few weeks training or seminar or two, or a few rashguards or a gi and if your unlucky enough you might only end up with one or two fights it seems bad value to me.

I fully understand that Barry and Liam want to make a profit and fully deserve to with all the hard work they put in, and this is by no means a complaint so please don't take it that way.

What are other people's thoughts on the pricing, not just on this competition but competitions in general in Ireland.

€80 might be steep in peoples opinion, but €50 is good value IMO considering what is on offer prize wise and also the standard of the comp.

I do bits for the lads for the Irish Open (medals and design work) but i have no input into the competition nor do I have any vested interest. I do the work as a contra deal for sponsorship so it works out for both parties. I get to sponsor and they get my unbelievable work in return :-P

I can say hand on heart that they are not taking home tons of cash, they are focused on making it bigger and better each year and this requires building up a capital reserve. They have also taken on board what people said about giving back and they have done so. The problem is that people are happy to leave registering to the last minute... I can understand their reasoning; injuries, making weight etc, but logistically this is a nightmare for an event.

Personally, I have organised many events, if you don't have a late penalty, people just leave it to the last minute and you end up not having a clue about what numbers you might get until very late on and this is not what you want to happen.

I can also say that the medals are custom made, are specially manufactured abroad and are not cheap. They need to be able to get a rough idea of attendance figures to ensure they have enough medals.

They also need to have an idea of attendance to decide what they can realistically offer as a prize.

The venue also cost a lot more this year as last year people had to pay in. If they didn't get the figures they would have to move it.

They also need to have enough referees, staff, medical personal to cater for the event and this is all based off attendance.

I cant speak for the lads but my personal view was the price increase was not about cashing in but more about getting people to commit in advance, rather than leaving it in typical Irish fashion to the eleventh hour and them scrambling to make sure everything is in place to cater for the competitors.

There were ample posts and warnings in advance of the price increase, over 500 people got there early, the rest waited and have the choice of €80 or don't attend.

^ completely unbiased comment there folks....

RoboRat wrote: »
    €80 might be steep in peoples opinion, but €50 is good value IMO considering what is on offer prize wise and also the standard of the comp.

I do bits for the lads for the Irish Open (medals and design work) but i have no input into the competition nor do I have any vested interest. I do the work as a contra deal for sponsorship so it works out for both parties. I get to sponsor and they get my unbelievable work in return :-P

I can say hand on heart that they are not taking home tons of cash, they are focused on making it bigger and better each year and this requires building up a capital reserve. They have also taken on board what people said about giving back and they have done so. The problem is that people are happy to leave registering to the last minute... I can understand their reasoning; injuries, making weight etc, but logistically this is a nightmare for an event.

Personally, I have organised many events, if you don't have a late penalty, people just leave it to the last minute and you end up not having a clue about what numbers you might get until very late on and this is not what you want to happen.

I can also say that the medals are custom made, are specially manufactured abroad and are not cheap. They need to be able to get a rough idea of attendance figures to ensure they have enough medals.

They also need to have an idea of attendance to decide what they can realistically offer as a prize.

The venue also cost a lot more this year as last year people had to pay in. If they didn't get the figures they would have to move it.

They also need to have enough referees, staff, medical personal to cater for the event and this is all based off attendance.

I cant speak for the lads but my personal view was the price increase was not about cashing in but more about getting people to commit in advance, rather than leaving it in typical Irish fashion to the eleventh hour and them scrambling to make sure everything is in place to cater for the competitors.

There were ample posts and warnings in advance of the price increase, over 500 people got there early, the rest waited and have the choice of €80 or don't attend.

Great post.

I have no problem what so ever with the fee being €45-€50 for early registration or €60ish for late registration. I just find the jump to be €80 quite high.

To me the prize money doesn't bother me. I compete to win a medal and to know I was the best in my division on the day. Now I know the guys need to have a prize pool or you'll have loads of people complaining about a lack of one.

Again I have to say the guys run a very good competition and I fully understand that they deserve to make a profit and I wouldn't expect anything else considering the time and effort they put in every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

The more I think of it the more I say fair play to them, suckers paying to compete even in some divisions there could be 2 other people if even that, nice few grand for some prep and then a days work of a saturday, lot harder ways of making dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

A3 would probably be your best bet, it might be a bit long on the sleeve and pants but it will shrink a little bit - some ninja washing can also shrink it some more but this is quite difficult.

You will probably loose a fair bit of weight and move to a standard A2 if you keep up with the training so just get one initially or ask around the gym and see if anyone has a spare... I have given some of my older gi's to newbies as a starter gi. I would offer you one but I literally just done a spring clean and gave a few away!

Where are you based anyhow? I am one of the owners of Wolfhound Fightwear and I live in Portlaoise - if you're near me I could meet you? My business partner runs RGA and he has all the stock so you could pop into one of his places and try it on alternatively.

I'm in the north so a bit out of the way :)

I was looking at a size chart for one brand and I think it suggested A4 which I assumed would be right for most brands? Unfortunately I have a big belly at the moment so that's where it's likely to be tightest.

Is there anywhere online worth buying from in the UK/Ireland? I'm not aware of any martial arts stores near me.

^ completely unbiased comment there folks....

I was straight out and honest that I have done work for them, I didn't have to be but I don't see the point. I don't get paid for the work I do, nor do I have any vested interest in how much money it makes.... it would actually suit me better if the cost was lower as it would attract more people.

I was just putting my views and perspective on the jump in price. Everyone seems to be focusing on the €80 fee and ignoring the €50 fee that most people availed of.

I can't even attend this year as my sister in law is getting married on the day so I won't even get to sell at the event.

I'm in the north so a bit out of the way :)

I was looking at a size chart for one brand and I think it suggested A4 which I assumed would be right for most brands? Unfortunately I have a big belly at the moment so that's where it's likely to be tightest.

Is there anywhere online worth buying from in the UK/Ireland? I'm not aware of any martial arts stores near me.

I think A4 will be far too big on you. A3 would fit better. If you want to buy from us and try it on and if it doesn't fit you can send it back for a full refund.

Great post.

I have no problem what so ever with the fee being €45-€50 for early registration or €60ish for late registration. I just find the jump to be €80 quite high.

To me the prize money doesn't bother me. I compete to win a medal and to know I was the best in my division on the day. Now I know the guys need to have a prize pool or you'll have loads of people complaining about a lack of one.

Again I have to say the guys run a very good competition and I fully understand that they deserve to make a profit and I wouldn't expect anything else considering the time and effort they put in every year.

€50 - €60 is not enough of a disincentive to get people to register early. My suggestion was that if someone registered and for some reason couldn't attend, they could carry the reg to another comp or next years.

There was a huge uproar that the Irish Open weren't giving back to the Irish BJJ scene. There was a massive post/ argument about it on Faceook that there should be prize money or free entry to international events, I would assume that is why there is this year.

My suggestion was that if someone registered and for some reason couldn't attend, they could carry the reg to another comp or next years.

I never register for a competition early because I've problems with my left shoulder and it could start giving trouble from the slightest knock/extending a little to far.

Because of this it's very easy to be sidelined for two to three weeks until it loosen up again and if it happens two weeks before a competition I'd be out of pocket.

If the fee could carry over then I'd register early everytime and take a chance on picking up a knock as I'd know that money won't be wasted.

I'll suggest it to Barry and Liam, hopefully they might run with it but it might not be feasible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone heading to compete in the Leinster open this weekend? Looking to head down but details seems to be really scarce at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IMO €80 is a ridiculous late entry fee. I can understand an experienced competitor might feel pressured into competing, even for the ridiculous sum of €80. But that's going to be prohibitive for a lot of novices, esp people traveling who have to take other expenses into consideration.

If other BJJ competitions follow suit it'll be to the detriment of Irish competition.

€80 LOL.

Advertisement