Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

When you start BJJ is the instructor supposed to pair you up with someone more experienced? My first night one of the instructors worked with me all night, however on my 2nd night I was paired with someone who was there for their first session so we were both a bit clueless at times, although the guy giving the class came around to everyone.

If I'm honest I preferred the first night when I was with someone who was going over the basics and could show me what to do, however I don't know if I'm being unrealistic expecting that to be the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

veganrun wrote: »
    When you start BJJ is the instructor supposed to pair you up with someone more experienced? My first night one of the instructors worked with me all night, however on my 2nd night I was paired with someone who was there for their first session so we were both a bit clueless at times, although the guy giving the class came around to everyone.

If I'm honest I preferred the first night when I was with someone who was going over the basics and could show me what to do, however I don't know if I'm being unrealistic expecting that to be the norm?

It can depend really. I've worked with plenty of new guys in their first few weeks but our coaches try to match new people together for drills so they can learn together at their own pace (the coach usually stands close to the new guys anyway incase they need help).

emmetkenny wrote: »

It can depend really. I've worked with plenty of new guys in their first few weeks but our coaches try to match new people together for drills so they can learn together at their own pace (the coach usually stands close to the new guys anyway incase they need help).

Good to know.

My free trial is up so I'm looking at whether to join or to go try out another place which is a dedicated jiu-jitsu place. Where I did my trial was an MMA gym that does mostly jiu-jitsu however they have other classes that interest me but which I haven't tried (striking, muay Thai).

The dedicated place is a bit further away but they have a beginner's/fundamentals programme at the same time every night which is appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Good to know.

My free trial is up so I'm looking at whether to join or to go try out another place which is a dedicated jiu-jitsu place. Where I did my trial was an MMA gym that does mostly jiu-jitsu however they have other classes that interest me but which I haven't tried (striking, muay Thai).

The dedicated place is a bit further away but they have a beginner's/fundamentals programme at the same time every night which is appealing.

If you name the club's someone here might be able to give a recommendation.

If you've enjoyed your time at your current place and it's easier to get to I'd be leaning towards staying put. The further you've to travel at the start to train the more reasons you'll find to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It really depends. Sometimes we pair an experienced guy with a new guy, and sometimes its new people together. Depends on what we're working on and or even who is there.

You should try out another gym regardless. There's no obligation to say with the first gym you try because it's good enough. Try at least 1 other conveniently located gym, or more if they are nearby and go with your preferred.

• Advertisement

The two places are SBG and Gracie Barra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Found Gracie barra to be a money making operation when I trained there (asking for money for seminars constantly when they should've been free) on top of monthly fee's and strict enough training attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Which ones? Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

New person getting paired with the experienced person is great for the beginner, not so much for the experienced person who is also there to learn. Generally in the gyms I have been to, they match the levels for drilling and teaching and leave the rolling open - use the open rolling to work with more experienced people. Most will be very helpful and show you what you're doing wrong which can be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

Gamebred wrote: »
    Found Gracie barra to be a money making operation when I trained there (asking for money for seminars constantly when they should've been free) on top of monthly fee's and strict enough training attire.

Which Gracie Barra? That wouldn't have been my impression of the one in Dundrum (as an outsider looking in)

• Advertisement

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Which ones? Location?
    Gracie Barra Belfast and SBG Belfast makes most sense.

I'm not a massive fan of Gracie Barra's (HQ) business model.
    Here in Sydney I was trying to get some open mat time at the GB gym beside my work. The first session was a freebie. I made it clear I wasn't joining but happy to pay per session fee. They want $45 per session :pac: :pac:

But to counter that, I did a session in Dundrum a few years ago with Chris Bowe. And it was completely fine. No gi rules, none of the crap I've seen at GB here in Sydney.
    I've no idea if Belfast follows the HQ "plan"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mellor wrote: »
    Gracie Barra Belfast and SBG Belfast makes most sense.

I'm not a massive fan of Gracie Barra's (HQ) business model.
    Here in Sydney I was trying to get some open mat time at the GB gym beside my work. The first session was a freebie. I made it clear I wasn't joining but happy to pay per session fee. They want $45 per session :pac: :pac:

But to counter that, I did a session in Dundrum a few years ago with Chris Bowe. And it was completely fine. No gi rules, none of the crap I've seen at GB here in Sydney.
    I've no idea if Belfast follows the HQ "plan"

45 quid for a drop in?!? Jesus Christ!!! Thats insanity. My gym is 50 eur a month!

Anyone here deal with nerves/anxiety before training? Its the biggest hindrance to my training. When im not training, i constantly think about training, and i miss it. I get psyched about going to class then an hour beforehand ill be trying to find excuses not to go. Been like this over a year now and it never gets any easier. I have to drag myself through the door most nights. Its mostly just worries about getting injured. It jsut doesnt seem to be something i can get past if its been a year now and i still get a ****ing fight or flight response every time i have to train :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

45 quid for a drop in?!? Jesus Christ!!! Thats insanity. My gym is 50 eur a month!

Anyone here deal with nerves/anxiety before training? Its the biggest hindrance to my training. When im not training, i constantly think about training, and i miss it. I get psyched about going to class then an hour beforehand ill be trying to find excuses not to go. Been like this over a year now and it never gets any easier. I have to drag myself through the door most nights. Its mostly just worries about getting injured. It jsut doesnt seem to be something i can get past if its been a year now and i still get a ****ing fight or flight response every time i have to train :rolleyes:

Injured? how exactly? like someone purposely slapping a sub on too quick or what?

Never felt any of them emotions before tbh I look at it like a form of therapy, as soon as I step on the mat im in the moment no matter whats going on in my life it wont enter my head for them 2 hours.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Injured? how exactly? like someone purposely slapping a sub on too quick or what?

Never felt any of them emotions before tbh I look at it like a form of therapy, as soon as I step on the mat im in the moment no matter whats going on in my life it wont enter my head for them 2 hours.

I probably overthink things and im a bit of a natural worrier which doesnt help. Just worry about regular injuries, like a few years ago i badly injured my wrist hitting a heavybag and couldn't train for months. Something like that happening again just scares the ****e out of me! Im lucky tho becasue yeah ive been hurt doing BJJ but never injured but i still get nervous before class. Then i see **** on reddits r/bjj of a dude who got his eye sliced up by a fingernail in a roll and im like "**** this gonna lift weights tonight instead" :D

I probably overthink things and im a bit of a natural worrier which doesnt help. Just worry about regular injuries, like a few years ago i badly injured my wrist hitting a heavybag and couldn't train for months. Something like that happening again just scares the ****e out of me! Im lucky tho becasue yeah ive been hurt doing BJJ but never injured but i still get nervous before class. Then i see **** on reddits r/bjj of a dude who got his eye sliced up by a fingernail in a roll and im like "**** this gonna lift weights tonight instead" :D

4 years ago I was training takedowns and an 18 stone bloke landed on my knee tearing the ACL and MCL... I had previously had my other knee rebuilt from a football injury 6 years prior.

I was out for almost a year and I still get worried about doing my knee in again. I just guard my knees and don't do anything silly that puts them at risk. If we are drilling something that I think may be detrimental to my knee, I just don't do it.

I am not apprehensive about training though, if I do my knee again, so be it... I will be seriously pissed off but these things happen and I won't let the possibility of an injury happening deter me from training as its only a possibility.

You just need to train smart, I am 40 and I am not training for competitions... I would like to compete but I am not risking my knees for a medal. I avoid training partners who go hell for leather and only care about getting a sub (luckily there are none at the club I attend). Most training partners are considerate, personally I never go full tilt to get a joint lock like a wrist lock or kimura and more often than not I end up losing it as a result, but I would rather lose a sub than injure a training partner. In competition my mindset and that of my opponent would be different and that is the reason I don't compete.

RoboRat wrote: »
    4 years ago I was training takedowns and an 18 stone bloke landed on my knee tearing the ACL and MCL... I had previously had my other knee rebuilt from a football injury 6 years prior.

I was out for almost a year and I still get worried about doing my knee in again. I just guard my knees and don't do anything silly that puts them at risk. If we are drilling something that I think may be detrimental to my knee, I just don't do it.

I am not apprehensive about training though, if I do my knee again, so be it... I will be seriously pissed off but these things happen and I won't let the possibility of an injury happening deter me from training as its only a possibility.

You just need to train smart, I am 40 and I am not training for competitions... I would like to compete but I am not risking my knees for a medal. I avoid training partners who go hell for leather and only care about getting a sub (luckily there are none at the club I attend). Most training partners are considerate, personally I never go full tilt to get a joint lock like a wrist lock or kimura and more often than not I end up losing it as a result, but I would rather lose a sub than injure a training partner. In competition my mindset and that of my opponent would be different and that is the reason I don't compete.

Yeah im getting on in years too, almost 38 and i don't recover nearly as quickly as i used to, which also makes me a bit wary when it comes to training. Im lucky in that most people ive rolled with at my club are quite easygoing and everyone respects the tap. Its just something i need to get over if i'm to continue training. Having never played sports much as a kid, and having BJJ as the first combat sport ive ever done, it's been a crazy ride so far haha. I would really miss it if i quit. I've not experienced many adrenaline rushes quite like rolling and tapping someone out. Also i bought a ****ing awesome Wolfhound Gi in january and it seems a crime to not use it :D

The head coach made it clear that the drop in fee was prohibitively expensive on purpose. Weekly membership was cheaper ($40).
    He said he wanted me to join properly rather than drop in. I explained I happy at my club, I just wanted extra mat time. And we left it there.
    Anyone here deal with nerves/anxiety before training? Its the biggest hindrance to my training. When im not training, i constantly think about training, and i miss it.
    Try not to worry about injuries. They do happen, and are at times unavoidable. But if you train smart you'll drastically reduce you chances of getting injured.
    Its really unlikely to happen during drilling. And you should only roll at a tempo you are comfortable with.

Yeah im getting on in years too, almost 38 and i don't recover nearly as quickly as i used to, which also makes me a bit wary when it comes to training.

Just be sensible when rolling and you will be OK, the more you train, the more you strengthen the areas you are worried about and gain confidence in the mechanics of BJJ.

I was rolling with one of our Polish lads, guy is an absolute beast and I used to avoid him as I was worried about the intensity. We now always go together as we really test each other and a week ago I was rolling out of a omoplata and he reacted and trapped my neck, there was a bit of a crunch and he let go straight away... he was on the ball and let go and that is what happens when training partners understand each other.

You will build up trust with your partners in time and if you are testing them, they really don't want to injure you as they need you to improve.
    I've not experienced many adrenaline rushes quite like rolling and tapping someone out.

That will pass and you will actually be thankful... adrenaline rushes lead to adrenaline dumps which is the big downside! Are you quite tense when rolling... feel rigid and not loose? I used to be like this and once you learn to flow with it, you actually last a lot longer as you don't get as tired after a roll and its a lot more enjoyable too.
    Also i bought a ****ing awesome Wolfhound Gi in january and it seems a crime to not use it
    Music to my ears, if you are looking for another drop me a PM and I will sort you out :-)

Just be sensible when rolling and you will be OK, the more you train, the more you strengthen the areas you are worried about and gain confidence in the mechanics of BJJ.

I was rolling with one of our Polish lads, guy is an absolute beast and I used to avoid him as I was worried about the intensity. We now always go together as we really test each other and a week ago I was rolling out of a omoplata and he reacted and trapped my neck, there was a bit of a crunch and he let go straight away... he was on the ball and let go and that is what happens when training partners understand each other.

You will build up trust with your partners in time and if you are testing them, they really don't want to injure you as they need you to improve.

That will pass and you will actually be thankful... adrenaline rushes lead to adrenaline dumps which is the big downside! Are you quite tense when rolling... feel rigid and not loose? I used to be like this and once you learn to flow with it, you actually last a lot longer as you don't get as tired after a roll and its a lot more enjoyable too.

Music to my ears, if you are looking for another drop me a PM and I will sort you out :-)

Oddly enough im usually fairly chill when i roll. The anxiety tends to go once im in the door, that's the hard part! In fact i'm probably too chilled out when i roll, i let my partner take the initiative and always end up on the bottom of side control or knee on belly!! Good god i hate knee on belly.. :mad:

I try to roll safe as possible, all things considered. never crank subs, and i always tap early. So hopefully ill be able to avoid any major injuries. I do lots of body weight exercises and some lifting too to try and keep my body in good shape which is supposed to be good at preventing injuries.

Next time im getting a new Gi, ill hit you up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Nobody likes knee on belly..
    Unless your name is Tom King or something.

Been disastrous trying to get in mat time for the Irish open.
    Hurt my hand/wrist a day before I was on a weeks holidays which I had planned to spend most of rolling. Then last night I was making lunch for today before heading to a class and managed to stab myself in the foot with a brand new very sharp knife, so had to give it a miss yesterday and today to let it close up.

I'll be happy if I can actually make it to Sunday week in one piece at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Yeah im only a ****ty white belt but get that a little too to be honest. Even tho i know i suck ive been training for long enough that i feel like i should be able to perform better than i do. But im working on that, just trying to tell myself its only white belt, noones expecting anything from you, so just train and have fun and dont worry about it. If i ever made it to Blue, id probably have a melt down worrying about upholding my reputation lol :D

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Nobody likes knee on belly..
    Unless your name is Tom King or something.

Been disastrous trying to get in mat time for the Irish open.
    Hurt my hand/wrist a day before I was on a weeks holidays which I had planned to spend most of rolling. Then last night I was making lunch for today before heading to a class and managed to stab myself in the foot with a brand new very sharp knife, so had to give it a miss yesterday and today to let it close up.

I'll be happy if I can actually make it to Sunday week in one piece at this rate.

If you don't think you can make it, see if a club mate wants to go and ask the lads to change the registration. I know they do this but not sure they actually can this near to the event.... if they can they will though.

Yeah im only a ****ty white belt but get that a little too to be honest. Even tho i know i suck ive been training for long enough that i feel like i should be able to perform better than i do. But im working on that, just trying to tell myself its only white belt, noones expecting anything from you, so just train and have fun and dont worry about it. If i ever made it to Blue, id probably have a melt down worrying about upholding my reputation lol :D

It's only going to get worse when you move up to blue as you will feel a level of expectation and you will also have a rather large target on your back from the higher level whites.

You need to get over this, as long as you learn from every class and roll you will be progressing. There is a lad I roll with and I was blue when he was white, he is now blue and probably getting his purple very soon, I have fallen behind him but I don't get stressed about it.

I have a high level job, young family, my own business and I don't get to train as much as him. He is also younger, fitter and stronger so kudos to him and I will be the first to shake his hand when he gets his purple.

If I was his age, I would be flying it too but I am not so I am just enjoying the journey... as written on the back of our hoody:
    Is tábhachtaí an aistear ná a cheann scríbe - The journey is more important than the destination :-)

Even tho i know i suck ive been training for long enough that i feel like i should be able to perform better than i do.
    i'm training 4 and a half years and I still feel like that.
    I don't imagine it's going to go away. People will always want to be better. And when you have an off day it's frustrating. Then there's guys that are seem to take no time at all to get better.

There's guy who started in my gym around the same time as me, maybe just after. He was only 15, he moved well but never gave me much trouble. He left as a white belt, to gym that had class times that worked better with his school hours (I think).
    Now he's one of the top purple belts in the world. He would absolutely tie me in knots blindfolded.

If I was his age, I would be flying it too but I am not so I am just enjoying the journey... as written on the back of our hoody:
    Is tábhachtaí an aistear ná a cheann scríbe - The journey is more important than the destination :-)

You guys make hoodies now?? :eek:

haha cheers for the advice tho guys. I havent trained for a few weeks now just because i didnt have my mat fees. Now ive gotten paid, im going to go back and just focus on improving myself, without measuring myself against anyone elses progress.
    Mellor wrote:
    i'm training 4 and a half years and I still feel like that.
    I don't imagine it's going to go away. People will always want to be better. And when you have an off day it's frustrating. Then there's guys that are seem to take no time at all to get better.

There's guy who started in my gym around the same time as me, maybe just after. He was only 15, he moved well but never gave me much trouble. He left as a white belt, to gym that had class times that worked better with his school hours (I think).
    Now he's one of the top purple belts in the world. He would absolutely tie me in knots blindfolded.

Yeah ive seen a few people who started with me back in March 2016 already hit blue belt, its crazy. But theyre young kids pretty much, if i had that much free time jesus id be swole as **** from all the time id spend in the gym and probably a blue belt myself! Fair play to them, its some dedication, i wish i had that kinda free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If you don't think you can make it, see if a club mate wants to go and ask the lads to change the registration. I know they do this but not sure they actually can this near to the event.... if they can they will though.
    Ah I'll be there, I'll just wrap myself in bubble-wrap until then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

Im nearly 5 full years into BJJ, I started in 2012 after doing MMA for a year but tore my ACL in 2012 and took nearly a year to get back on the mats. I try and train at least twice a week, 3 times if I am lucky.

Sometimes I don't feel I am progressing and I feel like I have hit a wall but I am progressing, albeit at a slower pace than some of the lads who go 3-5 times a week.

I have found my style which took me a long time, I also look for new techniques which compliment my style and I spend 2-3 months experimenting and perfecting them... they are then added to my arsenal and move to the next.

I know if I was to go back a year in time and roll with myself, I would be far superior now; it's like a fat guy trying to lose weight, you often cant see the small successes and it's only when you step back and look at the bigger picture that you can see the progress. There is no point in bench marking yourself against anyone else as they not going at the same speed as you, just set goals and try to achieve them and if you don't, then revise the goals and move onward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

As suggested on the original thread over on MMA board, I am moving this question to this thread - Thanks folks.
    Hi All,

I was just looking to see if there are any weekday BJJ classes going on in Dublin early in the morning prior to 9/10am?
    Unfortunately the location of the early morning SBG class would rule it out for me.
    Or are there any lunchtime classes or open mats (lunchtime roll :))  in Dublin that you guys know of?
    Thanks!

Advertisement