Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

As suggested on the original thread over on MMA board, I am moving this question to this thread - Thanks folks.
    Hi All,

I was just looking to see if there are any weekday BJJ classes going on in Dublin early in the morning prior to 9/10am?
    Unfortunately the location of the early morning SBG class would rule it out for me.
    Or are there any lunchtime classes or open mats (lunchtime roll :))  in Dublin that you guys know of?
    Thanks!

Jorge santos on Parnell street have classes every weekday from 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is there many Irish lads over at worlds?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody know someone who could do private BJJ classes with a couple of beginners in the Tallaght area? I'm sure a purple belt would be more than capable, any ideas on price also for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ush1 wrote: »
    Anybody know someone who could do private BJJ classes with a couple of beginners in the Tallaght area? I'm sure a purple belt would be more than capable, any ideas on price also for that?

Plenty of people, Purple belt will be the cheapest too, although he might not be the cheapest I'd personally go for Paddy Holohan(based in Tallaght) having attended a seminar I learned more from him in 2 hrs than I did in weeks of training under my original coach, also try Lee Hammond an excellent purple belt from SBG, I've no affiliation with either or their gyms btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ush1 wrote: »

Could you not go along to SBG Talaght and get a few classes in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As suggested on the original thread over on MMA board, I am moving this question to this thread - Thanks folks.
    Hi All,

I was just looking to see if there are any weekday BJJ classes going on in Dublin early in the morning prior to 9/10am?
    Unfortunately the location of the early morning SBG class would rule it out for me.
    Or are there any lunchtime classes or open mats (lunchtime roll :))  in Dublin that you guys know of?
    Thanks!

Jungle BJJ in Smithfield do classes every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KangoSkank

Mellor wrote: »
    Is there many Irish lads over at worlds?
    There's 8 Ireland based athletes over from East Coast and 1 from Satori as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Could you not go along to SBG Talaght and get a few classes in?

I may do that eventually but it's just a timing thing and I'm sometimes away with work so can't make regular classes.

KangoSkank wrote: »
    There's 8 Ireland based athletes over from East Coast and 1 from Satori as far as I know
    Cheers. I knew a few from east coast usually head over. But nothing was coming up under East Coast in the club listing. I'm guess they go under Riberio in some fashion.
    Any names? If I found one, they'd all be there.
    Did see two from SBG on the list.

Check Satori there. John Sheridan's competing at purple heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

They're under ECJJA.

• Advertisement

rain on wrote: »
    They're under ECJJA.
    Cheers. Found them 12 from ECJJA.
    15 in total, good luck to all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Anyone here go to sbg mullingar? What times do they train beginners ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Do any of you wear a gum shield or any other protective gear? Noticed a couple of guys last night at the beginners class wearing gum shields and one wearing some sort of ear protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

veganrun wrote: »
    Do any of you wear a gum shield or any other protective gear? Noticed a couple of guys last night at the beginners class wearing gum shields and one wearing some sort of ear protection.

I have a gum shield but rarely wear it. I probably should as I have a partial plate with a couple of falsies in it which means (a)they could break fairly easily with a knock and (b)the gumshield was a custom made job that cost me a bomb so I should try to get value from it!

Don't have ear protection but at the first sign of cauliflower ears the wife will be buying me one!

I've a custom mouthguard. Don't wear it for drilling/training but stick it in for rolling. Especially if it's gonna be on the intense side.
    I've an ear guards too. Usually I don't m wear them, but picked up a bit of cauli last month. Drained it but was still tender so been wearing them since - plus I don't want it to return.

Where can you buy a gum shield? I don't really have any special dental requirements so I'm guessing I don't need a custom one? I want to try some striking classes as well so it's probably a good idea to get one.

Most sports shops sell them like lifestyle or elverys or lifestyle you just mould them with hot water, would reccomend a custom one if you get the chance 50e and you'll have it for a long time other ones might rip the gums off ya.

Where would you get a moulded one?

Dentists although theres people that visit gyms doing a few at a time its usually cheaper that way.

Where can you buy a gum shield? I don't really have any special dental requirements so I'm guessing I don't need a custom one? I want to try some striking classes as well so it's probably a good idea to get one.
    +1 for custom.
    It's not about special dental needs it's about a better fit.

I've a cheap DIY boil and hit one. And it's loose and squishy against my teeth. But my custom one is harder material and almost clips into place. Better protection and feel better.

I've also heard great things about Sisu mouth guards too. Lightweight, hard plastic. Supposed restrict breathing less. I might get one to replace my back up.

• Advertisement

Our place had a company called SafeJawz come in a few months ago although that was before I joined. Seems they do custom ones as well as regular boil ones.

The denture fella that made my plate also made my gumshield. Because I'm lacking a few choppers and not all in the same spot I have a single tooth without one on either side which makes it very vulnerable for a hit. The result is that my gumshield is as thick as a bloody boot sole.

Fits very snug but took some getting used to as I was gagging on it a bit due to the size.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DrPhilG wrote: »
    took some getting used to as I was gagging on it a bit due to the size.

Putting the bj in BJJ. :D

Putting the bj in BJJ. :D

I did kinda set myself up for that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I recommend the SISU mouth guard. I've had custom guards in the past but the SISU is more comfortable and you can breathe, talk and drink a lot more easily with it in.

If you're doing striking get the thicker one, if you're just rolling get the thinner one.

http://sisueurope.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Always get a custom one, the difference is huge. I got one made my Impact gumshields and Irish company and its fantastic.

In regards to ear protectors, I don't wear them and only lads who have or had cauliflower ears wear them in the gym I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Robo you need to get more hoodies in, not one at the Irish open to buy :) except the one the person was wearing ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Robo you need to get more hoodies in, not one at the Irish open to buy :) except the one the person was wearing ha.

I know, just completely stretched with custom club orders and gear for lads fighting at Bamma. I have the design done but I am not happy with it yet, just need to get a few hours to fine tune and then I will put them live. I promise I will have them done by the end of June :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RoboRat wrote: »
    I know, just completely stretched with custom club orders and gear for lads fighting at Bamma. I have the design done but I am not happy with it yet, just need to get a few hours to fine tune and then I will put them live. I promise I will have them done by the end of June :-)

Stick up the new design here if you wish. I've so many hoodies but no martial arts hoodies, so far I've not found a design that doesn't make me look like a UFC fanboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Advertisement