Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RoboRat wrote: »
    Any update, this is becoming like the 'I found a safe' thread!!!
    Today was a public holiday so was t in work.
    It was last week that I seen the gear I the kitchen, I'm hoping it's a set routine, so I'll keep a look out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

RoboRat wrote: »
    Any update, this is becoming like the 'I found a safe' thread!!!

Nothing will surpass the disappointment of how that thread turned out. Twas a good thread though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

How long does the "I don't know what I'm doing feeling" last in jiu-jitsu? :)

I'm ok during the classes usually so far, even though the techniques can be hard to remember, but I get a bit lost during live rolling at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

veganrun wrote: »

I'm ok during the classes usually so far, even though the techniques can be hard to remember, but I get a bit lost during live rolling at the end.

Ages!!

But don't be disheartened.

Its the same for everyone. When I'm rolling with a newbie, I feel like my second name should be Gracie, When I'm rolling with a Purple belt or up, I feel like i Know nothing, have never been to a Jiu jitsu class, and don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

We all have that feeling, just at different stages.

Stick at it. You'll find after a few months, that you can handle yourself against the good guys and you can win against the new guys that come in behind you. Also, don't compare yourself to any other team mate. We all evolve at a different pace, train different amounts etc. There are guys who started well after I did who can school me now. Thats just life. Just know that if you train any way consistently, you ARE getting better even if you feel you're not.

Have fun and enjoy the ride

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

About 8-10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For me the feeling of not having a clue didn't last too long, but the feeling of being a bit crap does.

You get used to the basics and then as mini850 said you start to feel like a genius when you roll with someone newer, but then you roll with a blue or a purple and feel completely useless.

Key is when that happens, try to make a note of how you're getting slaughtered and learn from it.

For ages I was rolling with a guy and he kept armbarring me from his guard. Every time. Within seconds he was catching me. Then after a few rolls he told me what I was doing wrong and I learned the lesson. He still gets me, but not as quick.

Then there's that feeling the first time you finish a roll with a blue belt and you didn't get subbed...
    man-on-mountain-victory-SLDR.jpg

The fact that you defended for dear life and survived by the skin of your teeth is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Every time you roll with a higher belt. Every. Single. Time.

But then you make it to blue and start strangling the whites and you feel like you might be learning something after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

White belt: I don't know what I'm doing

Blue belt: I don't know what my opponent is doing

Purple belt: I know what we're doing and I have a plan to get us to where I want to be

Brown belt: I know what we're doing, where we both want to go and have ways to make us follow the path I want

Black belt: I know what you're all doing and I don't much like it. I used to be with it, then they changed what "it" is.

Seriously though, it just takes time, how long depends entirely on the person. I have things that I learned ten years ago that are sitting on the shelf that I couldn't pull off while rolling. I have something I've been tinkering with for about five years that I still can't make work.

When you come to rolling, focus on one fundamental thing ie in this position, I'm going to keep my elbows tight. Even if you can't do it against everybody, just keep focusing on it. You'll soon find you're comfortable with that aspect, then add another - now I'll stay on my side or get back there if I'm flattened out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

To be honest I'd be happy to just be able to break guard to start with. The first night I was shown and how to get to side control and I haven't done it since and can't remember all of it. I looked up a video on YouTube which shows a reasonably simple way to do it so I will try that.

It's kind of a shame you can't practice jiu-jitsu on your own as sometimes I feel like I just need to keep going over something until it sticks.

Just remember, keep your friends close and your elbows closer and you'll be graaaand.

• Advertisement

It's kind of a shame you can't practice jiu-jitsu on your own as sometimes I feel like I just need to keep going over something until it sticks.

I kinda can. It's not really the same but it's ok for drilling transitions. Buy a grappling dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yeah I agree with the Dr.... the feeling of not having a clue didn't last too long but the ability to do what you want to actually do will last a long time.

I always tell newbies that they should focus on their positioning and try and make themselves hard to submit before moving towards attempting submissions. This does not mean to go into a ball, rather flow with the opponent, keep your elbows tight and try and keep your opponent off balance.

Once you get a handle on this, you will start making your opponent work for a sub and rather than letting them dictate how the roll will go... you will have input and you can start using this to sweep/ sub later.

When you get in a position of dominance, always focus on position over submission. Try and get a strong and steady base rather than trying to go for a sub when you're off balance.

The rest falls into place.
    I have things that I learned ten years ago that are sitting on the shelf that I couldn't pull off while rolling. I have something I've been tinkering with for about five years that I still can't make work.

This!!! I learned spider guard about 5 years ago and never used it, wasn't for me, now I use it quite a bit. Same applies to X guard, I hit this without even thinking about it... same applies to lockdown - electric chair and side guard. These were demonstrated to me years ago and I couldn't get a handle on them but when I got a few years under my belt, they make perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I kinda can. It's not really the same but it's ok for drilling transitions. Buy a grappling dummy.

Or have a child, my lad is 5 and I do a bit of rolling with him now under the guise of 'wrestling'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

To be honest I'd be happy to just be able to break guard to start with.

When I came back to training after a multi-year layoff, being in closed guard was the first situation that I decided I needed to look at again. Simply because I seemed to be spending a lot of time there. For a few classes I came in having reviewed things like proper posture, where my elbows should be, where my hands should be. I had one way to open closed guard that had never particularly worked well for me so I looked at that again and decided I would work two ways and stick with them. A lot of people say that against decent opposition you will have to stand to pass closed guard and I think there's something to that, but I also still break guard off my knees (I do have long levers, in fairness, which helps). Things started going better with my closed guard but, of course, ironically now I rarely seem to end up in the closed guard and something else is the problem. So then I look at that problem and I try to do stuff like ask to start in a particular position when rolling, work a particular thing when rolling etc.

Not a new idea, and there have been particular products over the years marketing a whole blueprint ... a detailed kind of self coaching approach to training. I think it's something you can do on your own though.

I spent a long time as a white belt and I am a mediocre (at best) blue belt, but when I have tried to take this approach it's the only way I can consolidate and add things to my game. When I have taken a 'just let it all sink in' / 'do whatever' approach I just end up retaining nothing and mostly stagnating. Or I had bits of a game that didn't really fit together at all.

Sorry, mention of the closed guard just prompted the above tangent. I wish I had taken this approach from the start of my training. Along with understanding that not every roll has to be 'to the death'. I would be better than I am now and less creaky.

As for not knowing what's going on, pretty much all of the really new school guards, inverting and related back takes and leg attacks ... and how to handle them ... You could write what I know about it on the back of a matchbox. I wonder if even for very advanced people there are parts of the grappling map that are like "Here be dragons".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

*checks to see if wolfhound hoodies are back in stock*

The thirst is real over here Robo!!!

Update on the mystery blackbelt.
    I spoke into both Pedro and Maia. Almost I didn't specifically ask either, neither struck me as a jiu jitsu guy. I don't understand why, as there's not really a jiu jitsu "type", but I just didn't think it was right.

But late last week, I seen a guy with what looked like cauliflower ear. Bumped into him again today, definite cauli. Could pass for a rugby player. I don't know his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

*checks to see if wolfhound hoodies are back in stock*

The thirst is real over here Robo!!!

I'm guessing the lead time for a bulk order of items like this would be measured in weeks if not months even.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

What age do kids start this at? My 12 year old is mad to start. Any recommendations for clubs? We are in Smithfield thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

What age do kids start this at? My 12 year old is mad to start. Any recommendations for clubs? We are in Smithfield thanks

Dont know about clubs in your area but 12 is a perfectly fine age to start. Most clubs have kids and/or teens classes a couple times a week and would take kids of any age from around 6 and up.

Its an excellent choice of martial art to get your kids involved in.

• Advertisement

It's not uncommon for kids as young as 4 to start. That's the recommended minimum age. 12 wouldn't be an issue at all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Jorge Santos Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (183/193 Parnell Street) has kids classes Monday to Thursday (4pm). http://www.jorgesantosbjj.com/membership

If you're in Smithfield you couldn't be much luckier with the location.

There are kids of different ages in those classes, but at any rate 12 is definitely not too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Mellor wrote: »
    Update on the mystery blackbelt.
    I spoke into both Pedro and Maia. Almost I didn't specifically ask either, neither struck me as a jiu jitsu guy. I don't understand why, as there's not really a jiu jitsu "type", but I just didn't think it was right.

But late last week, I seen a guy with what looked like cauliflower ear. Bumped into him again today, definite cauli. Could pass for a rugby player. I don't know his name.

Just quietly as you walk past him next time say "Kimura" and see what he says ha ha

So I got his name, and did some google snooping, and yeah it's him, confirmed.
    He was ranked 2nd in the country at brown belts in 2014. So makes sense he'd be a black belt now.
    Hasnt competed since then by the looks of things, which explains why I hadnt heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He was ranked 2nd in the country at brown belts in 2014. So makes sense he'd be a black belt now.
    Hasnt competed since then by the looks of things, which explains why I hadnt heard of him.

Now maybe you and him can get the company to buy a few mats and roll at lunch :)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Now maybe you and him can get the company to buy a few mats and roll at lunch :)
    Need to figure out where he trains, if it's nearby.
    I was spoilt at my last job. Only a few minutes walk from by BJJ gym and also my normal gym

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

You could always ask him...

cletus wrote: »
    You could always ask him...
    Yeah of course. Easy now I know which one he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

emmetkenny wrote: »

THIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Masakazu Imanari is coming to Ireland for a seminar in August. Think I'll have to attend this :)

Advertisement