Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Just went for my first class here while I am here in China. Enjoyable experience but its tough in the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see two new black belts this weekend. Roger Dardis and Paul Fox. I think one of them post here on occasion. Congrats to both !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It was well deserved by both of them and a great way to wind up the Paul Schreiner camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

I see Polaris has been picked up by Fight Pass. Polaris 5 will be aired on the platform in August. No word whether they will carry the back catalogue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Feedback please - what do you think of this for the new tee?

2aiqbee.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That is savage! I've been looking for both a Joker tee and a Jitsu tee so this would have me sorted :)

The Purple belt is a lovely touch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nice theme but looks a bit haloween-ish few less ''Ha ha's'' I'd personally recommend.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Nice theme but looks a bit haloween-ish few less ''Ha ha's'' I'd personally recommend.

Yeah think I went a bit overboard on the Ha's! it looked sparse then it looked too much, needs some refinement

Will joker be on the front or back of the Tee?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Will joker be on the front or back of the Tee?

Front :-)

• Advertisement

RoboRat wrote: »
    Front :-)

Looks good. Personally I'd try dropping "The Choker" below the Joker as the top is a little crowded with Wolfhound and The Choker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A Batman tee would be class as well of Bats sinking in an RNC on Joker, similar to this position below, but have him in a black Wolfhound Gi. I would buy both those tee's :)

latest?cb=20120815200033

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Thats pretty awesome Robo! Designing it to look like an actual marvel comics cover might be something cool to try, a good way to get all the text in and still have it look neat. But im not a designer obviously so feel free to ignore!

Thats pretty awesome Robo! Designing it to look like an actual marvel comics cover might be something cool to try, a good way to get all the text in and still have it look neat. But im not a designer obviously so feel free to ignore!

This poses a problem as I would love to do that but we print to order and I already had one design flagged by the printers due to copyright infringement - it was Captain Americana with my own logo (based around an A made from an Americana) but they said that although it was not a copy, there was sufficient likeness to warrant a dispute with Marvel as they could claim likeness rights.

I have to make designs that are a nod to something specific without being too obvious or with enough room to be able to be able to argue a case. I could print them myself in bulk but if it doesn't move, I am left with a lot of stock.

Ah yeah, i kinda forgot about that whole copyright thing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

As suggested on the original thread over on MMA board, I am moving this question to this thread - Thanks folks.
    Hi All,

I was just looking to see if there are any weekday BJJ classes going on in Dublin early in the morning prior to 9/10am?
    Unfortunately the location of the early morning SBG class would rule it out for me.
    Or are there any lunchtime classes or open mats (lunchtime roll :))  in Dublin that you guys know of?
    Thanks!
    Some good news - 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Dublin in Fairview, Dublin 3 have a daytime BJJ class from 12.30 every Monday and Friday.   http://www.10thplanetdublin.com/

Also, Balance Ireland in Drumcondra have a morning BJJ class at 7am every Wednesday.
    http://www.tbi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

That is some hames of an attempt by me to edit that post but you hopefully you get jist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seeing as I'm a bit of a fan and have several Joker paraphernalia around the apartment, I would buy the **** out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Move the Wolfhound logo to the back of the tshirt. High up in the centre.
    The text looks a bit off on the front. A bit flat and scratchy.

Regarding copyright. It's a tricky area. but there are much bigger brands out there breaching copyright law with rashguards and tshirts all the time.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Move the Wolfhound logo to the back of the tshirt. High up in the centre.
    The text looks a bit off on the front. A bit flat and scratchy.

Regarding copyright. It's a tricky area. but there are much bigger brands out there breaching copyright law with rashguards and tshirts all the time.
    Yeah I'm working on refining the design, just wanted to pitch the concept and see what people thought.
    The copyright is very grey, technically 7 points of difference is the minimal but with likeness copyright anything can be considered.

I had two firsts last week.
    I got submitted with a heel hook for the time time in comp. My knee did not implode.
    And I submitted a purple belt in comp for the first time. It's not something I was actively keeping track of, but at the same time I couldn't help but notice it never happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Sauntered down to my first grading tonight to see what they were like, ended up coming home with a shiny new blue belt :)

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Sauntered down to my first grading tonight to see what they were like, ended up coming home with a shiny new blue belt :)

Congrats man. SBG was it?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Congrats man. SBG was it?
    Twas indeed, certainly feel like I earned it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Oh, you did.

darced wrote: »
    Yeah, some of the sub only comps over here are going with novice/inter/adv. for nogi.
    Gi is still by belt, but more liberal ruleset. Kneebars and toeholds at blue. Heel hooks from purple.

I did the under 80kg advanced. Caught a kimura in my first match and then got heel hooked in my semis.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Congrats Tazz.
    You're the target for all the striped belts now :D

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I had two firsts last week.
    I got submitted with a heel hook for the time time in comp. My knee did not implode.
    And I submitted a purple belt in comp for the first time. It's not something I was actively keeping track of, but at the same time I couldn't help but notice it never happened before.

Thats awesome Mellor. Youre a blue belt, right? to be subing a purple, thats ****ing insane!

I hope to get back to training on Monday. My shoulder is still a bit sore, but tolerable. I can do a regular gym workout without it bothering me too much. I had actually planned to go back last night but a couple hours before class i got a splitting headache, and felt nauseous as hell so had to scrap it :(

Advertisement