Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thats awesome Mellor. Youre a blue belt, right? to be subing a purple, thats ****ing insane!

Yeah blue belt, two years. I got it the night before I head to vegas for ufc 189.
    And its taken 2 years to get comfortable wearing it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Tom DeBlass going mad on FB Live ranting because Dannis posted a picture saying he's going to slap him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Deblass is a juice head wannabe motivational social media king never came across someone as cheesey in my life hes nearly as bad as Danis.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Deblass is a juice head wannabe motivational social media king never came across someone as cheesey in my life hes nearly as bad as Danis.

He'd slap the feck out of Dannis though.

He'd slap the feck out of Dannis though.

Danis is a wind up merchant and he still catches people with his social media fishing not a person alive could be that much up their own ass, I thought he made some valid points on Helwanis show last week about Marcelo wanting everyone to be like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Danis is a wind up merchant and he still catches people with his social media fishing not a person alive could be that much up their own ass, I thought he made some valid points on Helwanis show last week about Marcelo wanting everyone to be like him.

Garry Tonon with a p!sstake of Danis here

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW1UZkUgC7U/

Came second in Nogi at state Championships last weekend.
    Lost in the final to the same guy who beat me in the gi division and he also beat me last comp. I think I found my nemesis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Roger in the Gi is a super hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Where is a good place to buy a BJJ gi? Preferably somewhere with a size chart.

• Advertisement

Nichololas wrote: »
    Where is a good place to buy a BJJ gi? Preferably somewhere with a size chart.
    https://www.wolfhoundfightwear.com

https://www.wolfhoundfightwear.com/pages/sizing-chart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Anybody got video of Roger Buchecha? My (admittedly short) search only threw up vertical shaky can stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Mellor wrote: »

Feeling the love, we have new stock arriving in about 2 weeks including 'the hoodies' as requested :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

RoboRat wrote: »
    Feeling the love, we have new stock arriving in about 2 weeks including 'the hoodies' as requested :-)

ive literally been checking your website daily, no exaggeration lmao

I'll post when they're in... waiting on the factory to come back to me with a shipping date

Feeling the love, we have new stock arriving in about 2 weeks including 'the hoodies' as requested :-)[/quote]
    Im due a new Gi. My old one is swimming on me these days. Will decide in a few weeks (I'll drop some Birthday hints ;) ). But Wolfhound is currently first choice.
    Is there much difference between the Gaiscioch and the Púca?

Mellor wrote: »
    Im due a new Gi. My old one is swimming on me these days. Will decide in a few weeks (I'll drop some Birthday hints ;) ). But Wolfhound is currently first choice.
    Is there much difference between the Gaiscioch and the Púca?[/QUOTE]

One is patched, the other embroidered - both the same weave/ weight/ cut. I personally prefer the Puca but I'm not a big fan of patched gi's. If you're ordering, don't forget to use the boardsie code :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I have the Puca and i think sometimes the main reason i havent quit BJJ altogether is because i love wearing that ****ing thing so much!! I might not be an actual badass, but you certainly feel a bit badass in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see Tom Halpin was promoted to Black Belt by Cyborg in Miami today. Congrats to Tom.

One is patched, the other embroidered - both the same weave/ weight/ cut. I personally prefer the Puca but I'm not a big fan of patched gi's. If you're ordering, don't forget to use the boardsie code :-)

I think I'd lean towards the patched gis. Obviously not huge ignorant patches, just normal ones. Embroidery is good too, but I do be concerned that the gi will be too stiff around there. Plus certain comps (IBJJF, UAEJJF) are really strict on gis. Tearing off a patch is easier than embroidery if you have to.

• Advertisement

I normally don't pay much attention to "look hoe great this kid is at bjj. But holy shït, this little girl from AOJ is legit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXI8I-sDy8L/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Baron of Ballymun

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I was rolling last night with a blue belt (I’m a white blue) and he caught me in an ankle lock (after our coach told us specifically not to use leg/ankle locks) anyway I tapped and we go again. This time he gets me in a heavy wrist lock (which still hurts this morning). I told him to relax and to take it easy and we go again. He still didn’t let up so I got a rush of blood to the head and powered through his guard and “surfed” his bridge attempts for the rest of class, using the dark arts to make it uncomfortable for him. Question is do I avoid this guy completely going forward or I’m I just being sensitive and that I should just get on with it. A part of me is telling myself that all is fair in love and war and all that but at the same time we are team mates and he is a blue belt surely he should know which locks are dangerous.

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys could offer some advice. I was rolling last night with a blue belt (I’m a white blue) and he caught me in an ankle lock (after our coach told us specifically not to use leg/ankle locks) anyway I tapped and we go again. This time he gets me in a heavy wrist lock (which still hurts this morning). I told him to relax and to take it easy and we go again. He still didn’t let up so I got a rush of blood to the head and powered through his guard and “surfed” his bridge attempts for the rest of class, using the dark arts to make it uncomfortable for him. Question is do I avoid this guy completely going forward or I’m I just being sensitive and that I should just get on with it. A part of me is telling myself that all is fair in love and war and all that but at the same time we are team mates and he is a blue belt surely he should know which locks are dangerous.

What does the coach say about ankle locks? Personally I don't like them and always afraid someone will spaz out and move incorrectly and end up been hurt before I can release.

Wrist locks are ok at blue so you might as well learn to not leave your hands where they can be easily manipulated.

If it was me I'd roll with him again but I'd be using really heavy knee on belly to control and digging my elbows into his ribs to make things uncomfortable for him if he's still an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Hi,

Tell him to take it easy if you choose to roll with him again, if he still doesn't let up just avoid him during rolling. Strange that a blue belt is that way, unless he's trying to prove that he's the macho guy that won't be beaten by a belt below him.

At the end of the day if he's unwilling to change and hurts you that's valuable time you'll end up missing from training.

Should be no wrist locks (at them belts anyways) in training because once their on its nearly too late, break a wrist before someone can tap, just learn the game use it as a way of working your ankle lock defences and slap one on him then, is the coach not watching the rolls at all to see this going on?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What does the coach say about ankle locks? Personally I don't like them and always afraid someone will spaz out and move incorrectly and end up been hurt before I can release.

Wrist locks are ok at blue so you might as well learn to not leave your hands where they can be easily manipulated.

If it was me I'd roll with him again but I'd be using really heavy knee on belly to control and digging my elbows into his ribs to make things uncomfortable for him if he's still an ass.
    just one of the lads got injured in a competition recently so he wants people to careful about when they are used (slow roll is his preference or against more experienced practitioners). I take your point about the wrist locks so I should just move on??

Should be no wrist locks (at them belts anyways) in training because once their on its nearly too late, break a wrist before someone can tap, just learn the game use it as a way of working your ankle lock defences and slap one on him then, is the coach not watching the rolls at all to see this going on?
    Sometimes he joins in at the end of a class, it was the last roll of the night.. thats what I thought it was a sharp pain, I know I am expected to get hurt but I didnt sign up to get my wrist broken. So I should avoid him for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You're not expected to get hurt, that's why we tap early and often ;). Your grown adult ffs, just tell the chap "Nah, not this time pal" and walk away or take a breather. It's not life or death.

Christ Almighty.

just one of the lads got injured in a competition recently so he wants people to careful about when they are used (slow roll is his preference or against more experienced practitioners). I take your point about the wrist locks so I should just move on??

Just tell him to go easy. If he grabs your wrist/ankle and your not comfortable tap straight away. Once he eases up the pressure ask him to do it again but slow because you want to see if you could escape/prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Advertisement